i need advice on how to be a dirty kid | Squat the Planet

i need advice on how to be a dirty kid

Corinne

Reaction score
Website
www.incoherentmindz.tumblr.com
im in need of advice. i just turned from rubber tramp to hitchhiker and although ive learned so much from my road dogs, i have much more to ask...
1. how do you transport yourself around the city?
2. where do you squat/ camp at night? can i just pitch my tent on the side of the road like i did in mexico?
3. staying safe? weapons, smileys or just common sense?

psychofoamer

asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.paynepress.com
1) public transit or walk, sometimes folks will give rides if you gotta long hike. Ask people at gas stations.

2) thick woods, backyards of houses, loading docks of warehouses, random spots on railroad property, empty semi truck trailers. Tents are not that stealthy and unless you are well hidden I think they are best avoided...I would suggest a tarp.

3) common sense and gut instinct goes a long way. Learn how to read people and become a good judge of character. Smilies are a cowards/scumbag weapon if you ask me. Bear mace is good. Or a stun zapper. A good visible fixed blade knife on your hip is a great deterrent. Though I would suggest having someone who knows what's up yeah you how to defend yourself with a blade before you ever pull it out on somebody. A good loyal dog always helps too, but the best traveling dogs are raised on the road with you and takes time to develop that bond.

Good luck

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
@Corinne - Interesting thread - could prove a great read! I am beyond the hitchhiking days - but when I travel I research all the public transit in the area - for instance - when I was - for 5 long years - traveling to Pittsburgh PA to see long distance bf - I ALWAYS got stuck in Erie PA - but after research from flyers and pamphlets - they not only have a bus system that goes through that sterile bus station (hardly any seats or electrical outlets) but they have a FREE trolley system that works every 15 minutes that takes you up to town. Research hehe.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
what happened to your van?

InGrindWeRust

Reaction score
My thing is to constantly be aware of the weather. I check it daily because I got sick of waking up in the pouring rain. This way you will know if you need to sleep under a shelter, like an overpass or something. I recommend looking for a good tree line to sleep in. A lot of cities have camping laws and cops can be dicks. If you are going to hitch, find a place where there is a busy gas station or truck stop. I usually stand by the exit ramp with a sign that has really large print so people can read it. Make sure it is a spot where cars can pull over, or are not going too fast. Fast cars do not stop for hitchers. A lot of times you will end up puddle jumping because people can not take you that far. Make sure they at least drop you at a busy gas station or truck stop. Walking from the middle of nowhere can suck, and it is also illegal to walk on a lot of interstates. For a weapon I say use mace. It is rare that you will ever have to use a weapon, and if you do it can turn into serious felony charges real quick. Even if you where just defending yourself. I personally do not recommend having an animal while hitching. Most people do not want dogs in their cars, especially truckers. If you get to a city and find other dirty kids ask about good sleep spots or bum feeds, they will know most of the time. If you get the chance try learning to ride trains. Hitching can be fun, but I think it sucks most of the time.

angerisagift

Reaction score
1) public transit or walk, sometimes folks will give rides if you gotta long hike. Ask people at gas stations.

2) thick woods, backyards of houses, loading docks of warehouses, random spots on railroad property, empty semi truck trailers. Tents are not that stealthy and unless you are well hidden I think they are best avoided...I would suggest a tarp.

3) common sense and gut instinct goes a long way. Learn how to read people and become a good judge of character. Smilies are a cowards/scumbag weapon if you ask me. Bear mace is good. Or a stun zapper. A good visible fixed blade knife on your hip is a great deterrent. Though I would suggest having someone who knows what's up yeah you how to defend yourself with a blade before you ever pull it out on somebody. A good loyal dog always helps too, but the best traveling dogs are raised on the road with you and takes time to develop that bond.

Good luck
i agree with all this but would add to 1) getting a bike 2) only get a tent if u find a secluded spot and thinking of staying long term( like 3 month or more) 3) i got nothing to add GL @Corinne

Primitive

Reaction score
I would not recommend sleeping in back yards unless you wanna risk getting shot at or having a guard dog sicked on you. i think thats bad advice. Creeks, under bridges, just any secluded space really. By dumpsters, in back of business's, fields, always do keep an eye out for water sprinklers tho.

Primitive

Reaction score
Or reminds me of when i was younger me and my dad were living in tents out in this high desert in central oregon, but people would come out there to party on weekends and id go drink with em. So one day one of em was drunk and accidently wondered onto these peoples property at night time and he got snuck up on and peppersprayed in the face, he couldnt see who it was but had a pair of brass knuckles and hit the dude in the face with em. Turned out it was like a 12 year old kid who lived there who maced him and got hit in the face with those brass knuckles!

Primitive

Reaction score
Better then bieng the type of oogle who introduces themselves on online forums with "ive ridden more trains than you" anytime someone starts braggin about how many trains theyve ridden to try and impress thats one way to tell a fake. Especially online haha now i know what the term "digital riders" means haha

• Sad
Reactions: roughdraft and Durp

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads