Question how to diy a cheap but solid bike trailer

Reaction score
hey bike nerds,
i'm planning on starting on my first bigger bike tour since a few years and want to go for a bike trailer (that fits a bit more than what i usually bring for backpacking/hitchhiking; so i guess it would be like 100l or something). i don't have a bike trailer yet and really like the idea of diy-ing one. does anyone have a guide/instructions or just advice on how to build a cheap but solid bike trailer or do you think, it's anyways way cheaper to buy a used one on craigslist and to costumize it from there?
thanks alreay :))

Reactions: laughingman

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey there OP. This is a good question and Its one I think about a lot when it comes to new projects. Is it cheaper to find something secondhand? The answer here is yes. Almost always you can find something secondhand that will do the job your looking for. For long distance touring your going to run into a sort of performance wall. What you want to go with will largely depend on how much weight is going in the trailer, how far your pulling it, and how fast you will be going each day. If your going less then 50 miles a day. Carrying less then 60 pounds in the trailer. Not going up or down the Rockies. A modded kids trailer will probably be your best bet. Check your local thrift-stores first, that will probably get you your best deal. If not Facebook marketplace. When you go to look at the trailer check the wheel bearings, those tend to go out first. The wheels should turn smoothly. Modding out the trailer will depend on your needs. Ditching the enclosure and seat-belts and what not will save you a lot of weight. After that you have a nice platform to build onto.

Reactions: sleepingbagchaos

Lynora

Reaction score
Just recently got a really cool zine/book called How and Why put out by microcosm publishing which has a couple of incredibly rad diy bike trailers made from salvaged bed frames, bike tires, and plywood, plus only like ten bucks in hardware that could be assembled with basic tools. One pro of making things is that if you make something then you pretty much already know how to fix it when things go wrong, versus if you got a prefab something or other it could be more tricky. But, if you get a good deal on a used thing that's definitely cool too. I'll link to the guy's website who wrote the book below.

(Books & Zines - http://www.resistlaboratory.com/store/c3/Books_%26_Zines.html)
hey bike nerds,
i'm planning on starting on my first bigger bike tour since a few years and want to go for a bike trailer (that fits a bit more than what i usually bring for backpacking/hitchhiking; so i guess it would be like 100l or something). i don't have a bike trailer yet and really like the idea of diy-ing one. does anyone have a guide/instructions or just advice on how to build a cheap but solid bike trailer or do you think, it's anyways way cheaper to buy a used one on craigslist and to costumize it from there?
thanks alreay :))

Reaction score
Just recently got a really cool zine/book called How and Why put out by microcosm publishing which has a couple of incredibly rad diy bike trailers made from salvaged bed frames, bike tires, and plywood, plus only like ten bucks in hardware that could be assembled with basic tools. One pro of making things is that if you make something then you pretty much already know how to fix it when things go wrong, versus if you got a prefab something or other it could be more tricky. But, if you get a good deal on a used thing that's definitely cool too. I'll link to the guy's website who wrote the book below.

(Books & Zines - http://www.resistlaboratory.com/store/c3/Books_%26_Zines.html)

that sounds super cool! thanks a lot for sharing <3

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads