How many pairs of clothes do you take with you on your travels? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

How many pairs of clothes do you take with you on your travels?

Weston

Reaction score
I haven't so much been traveling lately as much as just being an evil example to the members of my hometown where it's been warm for winter... but my travel gear and my everyday bum gear are the same. I have ONE outfit that is constantly evolving. Currently it is some skinny jeans, a wool zip up coat, a tee shirt, and a button up over it. The only thing I can advise is take lots of socks. All my gear I scavenge. Luckily I can scavenge choice gear out of the Goodwill trailer that I keep accidentally breaking into and looting.

Reactions: landpirate

Cruz

Reaction score
Samuel, There are threads about that but Filsen, carrhart, and dickies are brands I use/know are trusted (I just ordered a pair of dickies cause I heard good things I also have filsen thermals that I got as a gift from my aunt who hikes so she knows good brands and they are the best I've ever had and pack down small)

My clothes:
1 pair pants
1 pair shorts
1 pair basketball shorts
2 t-shirts
1 tank top
1 thermal top
1 thermal bottom
1 insulated black falls creek hoodie
1 thin summery hoodie
a bunch of undies because I can't stand dirty underwear and they're little anyway
5 pairs assorted wool/cotton socks
1 columbia vest
1 pair flip flops for airing out my feet in town
1 pair combat boots

Reactions: yoder

XanderMenanderer

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
for winter:

lower body:
1 pair of BDU pants.
1 pair "walls" insulated bib overalls
1 pair boxers
1 basketball shorts
3 pairs wool socks
8" leather boots
1 polypro thermal bottom

upper body:
1 carhartt insulated "active" jacket
1 cotton t shirt
1 wool sweater
1 wool flannel
1 hoodie

misc:
Wool hat, gloves, scarf

thats basically all the clothes i own, but what would you say for the warmer months?

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Wearing most of ur clothes is best while having a couple fresh pairs of socks and undies. Thos microfiber synthetic undies are good to prevent ur ass from chaffing. maybe a clean shirt a pair of sport shorts or swimming trunks to change into to wash ur other stuff. Travelin light is best. Having a good hat and or scarf is important keep dem ears warm. Cheap gloves are good i like to cut the fingers off for mobility. Wool is one of the best things you can have it stays warm when wet and is fire resistant good for socks and jacket. the next best thing is synthetic wool which is less fire resistant.

Reactions: p4r4d0x

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Wearing most of ur clothes is best while having a couple fresh pairs of socks and undies. Thos microfiber synthetic undies are good to prevent ur ass from chaffing. maybe a clean shirt a pair of sport shorts or swimming trunks to change into to wash ur other stuff. Travelin light is best. Having a good hat and or scarf is important keep dem ears warm. Cheap gloves are good i like to cut the fingers off for mobility. Wool is one of the best things you can have it stays warm when wet and is fire resistant good for socks and jacket. the next best thing is synthetic wool which is less fire resistant.

L

LiveFreeDieFree

My pack consists of:
One jacket
One pair of jeans
3 t shirts
One hoodie
One pair of shorts
A bottle of whiskey
A bottle of water
A few cans of pork n beans
And a bunch of random junk I never use but can't bring myself to throw away.

As for layering and extra jackets, I don't see the need as its hott as fuck in the summer and that's when I travel.

I advise you to take one extra pair of pants so if you need to wash them along the way you won't have to be nude while you do so.

Monterey

Reaction score
What I am wearing, a button up shirt and blue jeans for doing laundry/blending in, and all the freaking socks and underwear I can get my hands on. Scroo traveling with a heavy bag. I am over it. Light is right.

kecleon

Reaction score
I take like what I'm wearing depending on weather like I'd never pack a jacket in my bag I'll just wear it.

In my bag 2 pairs of socks 1 pair board shorts (super light dry fast) 3 underwear.

So I just wash my clothes when i shower and buy quick drying stuff not cotton. Clothes dry while you're wearing them real fast. Not nice at first though.

L

LiveFreeDieFree

[quote="dickindixie666, post: 137413, member/quote]
Ya kinda. I got pinched and cops stoke my pack and left me there. Hitched to the next town to pan and gear up again.

C

crustythadd23

I usually travel with the clothes that I have on. Thermals, insulated carhartt bibs, thermal sleeve, shirt and carhartt jacket. then just a pack of freshies

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
haven't gone legit traveling yet. just small shit in my car for short periods of time in-between school and work

but when I was in nyc I had a bag with some of my stuff in it, as I left my car in new jersey... and I really don't like the whole having to carry stuff thing. so I was thinking of just starting off without a pack. just have my knife and mess kit shit on my belt... then if I decide i need anything I could just get it later on and make a pack

not sure if that's a good idea though lol

GinGin

Reaction score
haven't gone legit traveling yet. just small shit in my car for short periods of time in-between school and work

but when I was in nyc I had a bag with some of my stuff in it, as I left my car in new jersey... and I really don't like the whole having to carry stuff thing. so I was thinking of just starting off without a pack. just have my knife and mess kit shit on my belt... then if I decide i need anything I could just get it later on and make a pack

not sure if that's a good idea though lol
It could be, but it also could also make your first trip alot more stressful than it has to be, but ultimately its your choice. Much respect with the idea of bringing no pack, i would if i could but I get hot/cold very quickly and walking around with all my layers in my hands( even a simple sweatshirt) annoys me. When i went traveling this summer i only had a 21 lb. runaway pack(with sleeping bag included), and i thought that was still too heavy for my tastes. I personally like light weight packing especially for hopping and those long hikes, also just in case i find things i want to keep i have a place to stash them. So i would advise you bring a small pack and sleepin bag, even if its empty, in case you change your mind.

As far as what I plan to bring this spring for clothes when i stop being a housie, goes as follows:

1 pair of faded black jeans
1 pair of tan combat boots(w/o steeltoe)
1 wifebeata
1 pair of underwear
4 pairs of crew socks
1 vest/hoodie jacket combo (black & brown)
1 ball cap
1 bandana
1 faded black band shirt
1 wool blanket/DIY poncho
1 dark green thermal

PRetty much all of these items i will be wearing constantly, except for the poncho, 3/4 pairs of socks, and the dark green thermal.
Might bring sandals as well for airing my feet out but not sure yet.

Reaction score
Right now in my pack is
2 teeshirts.
1 long sleeve
1 thermal
1 pair of jeans
1 pair of shorts
1 zip up hoodie
1 drugrug
1 pair of steel toe boots
1 baseball cap
I need more socks tho.
I think my pack is around 30 lbs. but there's always between 5 and 15 lbs of dog food too.

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
It could be, but it also could also make your first trip alot more stressful than it has to be, but ultimately its your choice. Much respect with the idea of bringing no pack, i would if i could but I get hot/cold very quickly and walking around with all my layers in my hands( even a simple sweatshirt) annoys me. When i went traveling this summer i only had a 21 lb. runaway pack(with sleeping bag included), and i thought that was still too heavy for my tastes. I personally like light weight packing especially for hopping and those long hikes, also just in case i find things i want to keep i have a place to stash them. So i would advise you bring a small pack and sleepin bag, even if its empty, in case you change your mind.

As far as what I plan to bring this spring for clothes when i stop being a housie, goes as follows:

1 pair of faded black jeans
1 pair of tan combat boots(w/o steeltoe)
1 wifebeata
1 pair of underwear
4 pairs of crew socks
1 vest/hoodie jacket combo (black & brown)
1 ball cap
1 bandana
1 faded black band shirt
1 wool blanket/DIY poncho
1 dark green thermal

PRetty much all of these items i will be wearing constantly, except for the poncho, 3/4 pairs of socks, and the dark green thermal.
Might bring sandals as well for airing my feet out but not sure yet.

yeah. at this point. I have a knarley knife imma buy. then I got steel toes, they'll probably be shot by the summer though, theyre kinda old, so ill probs get new boots before I go. I have a hobo tool and a aluminum hobo kit. I cant imagine needing much else besides that and what im wearing. id probably have a hoodie or a flannel, long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, and pair of pants or maybe two. maybe a coat I could wear all of that and be fine, im from buffalo, so im used to random shit weather and im good about not getting too hot or cold

id also consider getting a sleeping bag that compresses really small, idk, I like the idea of not having gear. and I know if I wanted to I could... ive stayed outside in the winter while it was snowing in the hills (section outside of buffalo that has like snow slopes) with just what I was wearing (just a hoodie and military coat, and two pairs of pants) no bag or anything (it started on fire) and I did alright

I feel like ill be a lil bitch and set up a pack though. mainly because my friend works at a surplus place and i get anything for 4 bucks lol
and then maybe get rid of shit as I go or something.

honestly I think I may try and give it a shot. but imma put more thought into it, ive already been told by a few of my old traveling friends that its not too good of an idea

kecleon

Reaction score
I hate carrying stuff too but there's no way really to carry a sleeping bag without taking up a hand or having a pack. Just go as small as you can. I barely notice my pack anymore I got one that's pretty slim so it's right up against my back. I still don't like carrying it especially when its full of water but yeah I forget it I guess.

I prefer carrying something in my hand than on my back but its annoying when you need both hands and to kind of watch your stuff from getting stolen or when you're climbing or jumping over stuff its not so practical.

It's like a necessary evil.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads