How many pairs of clothes do you take with you on your travels? (1 Viewer)

Kash

Lurker
Current Location
Ventura, California
Hi guys, I was wondering, when you guys are traveling around how many pairs of clothes do you keep on you? For me I usually have 2-3 pairs of clothes (pants/shorts,shirt, socks, underwear) including the pair I'm wearing whenever I wander about. I've been thinking about cutting it down a pair. I also always have 2 thick jackets just in case my sleeping bag doesn't provide enough warmth. So yeah, that's my set up when it comes to pairs of clothing. How about you guys?

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Current Location
austin, texas
(total)...One pair of pants, 4 thin shirts for layering (2 tank tops, 2 vnecks), 2 bras, 4 pairs of low cut socks, one pair of boots. Maybe some thin/light shorts if I have any. Clothes can be washed, degenerative back problems from packing too heavy, cant. ;) but that goes for everything that you can do without. It's just not worth the future problems.

I'm actually bringing a hoodie this time around. Obviously in cooler parts of the united states (and colder seasons) or otherwise you'd need warmer shit.

OP
Kash

Kash

Lurker
Current Location
Ventura, California
Ah cool cool. Yeah I was considering cutting it to 1 pair of pants 1 pair of shorts. Maybe even sacking a jacket as I really haven't had to use more than 1. And you're definitely right about the back thing haha... Some days my back can hurt quite a bit. Maybe a sign I really should cut down some items :p

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Current Location
austin, texas
Ah cool cool. Yeah I was considering cutting it to 1 pair of pants 1 pair of shorts. Maybe even sacking a jacket as I really haven't had to use more than 1. And you're definitely right about the back thing haha... Some days my back can hurt quite a bit. Maybe a sign I really should cut down some items :p
Yeah dude pants are a lot of extra weight and they don't get dirty that fast so it's not like you need to change them all the time unless you're getting disgusting. Instead of the extra jacket just bring some thermals.

OP
Kash

Kash

Lurker
Current Location
Ventura, California
I'm in the process of cutting down my bag now. Got it down to 2 shirts, a pair of jeans and a pair of shorts, and a jacket, and Dustin's 3 socks recommendation :D Much better feeling.

Unslap

Current Location
East coast
My only clothes are what im wearing, plus a hoodie and some extra undies/socks. I like black pants because they dont show dirt.

salamat

Lurker
Current Location
b.c. canada
i bring 2 sets of clothes one for the road and one for in town when i need to blend in(ie. button up shirt, non ripped or patched pants), 3 pairs of socks 1 wool sweater as well as longjohns and a thermal long sleeve. then as the weather gets colder i'll pick up a jacket or extra layers from the goodwill then pass them on to someone else when its not needed anymore.

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Current Location
austin, texas
i bring 2 sets of clothes one for the road and one for in town when i need to blend in(ie. button up shirt, non ripped or patched pants), 3 pairs of socks 1 wool sweater as well as longjohns and a thermal long sleeve. then as the weather gets colder i'll pick up a jacket or extra layers from the goodwill then pass them on to someone else when its not needed anymore.
Yeah totally makes sense to have normal clothes. I'm incorporating that into my stuff by wearing pants that can go either way and aren't all shitty torn up but are strong and aren't going to fall apart. An extra pair of slip on shoes (super thin and light) are my alternative to my boots.

DoctorApocalypse

Your friendly neighborhood supervillain
Current Location
Seattle, WA
One pair of pants, three pairs of socks, two pairs of underwear, thermals, one each: beater, t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, a sweater, and a jacket of some sort.

EphemeralStick

Quality Control Queer Commando
Staff member
Current Location
New Orleans
1 pair of good durable jeans
1 pair of thin quick drying shorts
1 button up long sleeve
3 tee shirts
1 thermal shirt and 1 thermal long underwear
1 jacket if im going through cold areas
4 pairs of underwear and 4 pairs of socks.
I'm usually wearing most of this so its not as much in my pack as it seems.
I highly recommend quick drying clothes though they're lacking in the warmth department.

salamat

Lurker
Current Location
b.c. canada
If you want to blend in in town you might wanna take a shower with you too.. Just saying..
Clothes won't hide the dirt and stink.
i only go into town if i really have to so i usually take a bottle shower before i put my "town cloths" on and always keep them in a big ziplock bag away from my other clothes. i just find i get hassled a lot less, works just fine for me.

Mei

Lurker
Current Location
San Francisco
1 pair of jeans
1 pair of stretchy pants
2 shirts
hella underwear and socks

and this isn't clothing but i highly recommend bringin a pack of baby wipes

Doc Road

Current Location
..Earth..
Yo thats wuts up, alomost forgot the baby wipes! I had to postpone one hop out just cuz. good for you freshNcleen;)
1 pair of jeans
1 pair of stretchy pants
2 shirts
hella underwear and socks

and this isn't clothing but i highly recommend bringin a pack of baby wipes

Doc Road

Current Location
..Earth..
I find the punk look is best; Combat boots or chucks, blue jeans or dikies, old band shirt (cut to taste). good warm took or a shemagh(not to look crazy but to ware till the sun is gone), solid shades and of course one boss hide with gloves of equal bossyness. Back patches with neddleNthrids safety pins(LOTS!), to divide and conquer, hold all that shit together, later.

soundpath

Lurker
Current Location
planet x
for winter:

lower body:
1 pair of BDU pants.
1 pair "walls" insulated bib overalls
1 pair boxers
1 basketball shorts
3 pairs wool socks
8" leather boots
1 polypro thermal bottom

upper body:
1 carhartt insulated "active" jacket
1 cotton t shirt
1 wool sweater
1 wool flannel
1 hoodie

misc:
Wool hat, gloves, scarf

freeranger

Lurker
socks, socks, underwear, socks, underwear, underwear. ;)

you can always get by wearing stuff for a while, but when walking, hiking, etc., dry socks and underwear can be a lifesaver (crotch/foot rot saver).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

DisfunctionalBliss wrote on sydaavicious's profile.
Ta ta ta..... Building treehouses, pallet houses, rocket stoves, and all sorts of wacky live of the land shit. Want a change? Feel free to check us out: Auburn WA....just south of Seattle. Can help u on ur travels too
Back online... Sorry I haven´t been active. Moving to the UK with my little family for a while.
50% of needed gas funds for OR trip obtained ✔
Bey
The Dumpster giveth...! Good skipping today, with some line struggle, though, over the freegan vs. "meegan" positions...
van dwelling in san antonio. about to get on the road to oregon or someplace by end of the month. i'm still so fucked up about my dear friend @Multifaceted passing away and need to get out of our hometown..
Confirmation that travel expenses will be covered has been APPROVED! I'M OUTTA HERE!
For years now I've been told to check out r/vagabond and I looked into it. Its terrible and I'm glad i haven't met those people.
Glad to be active again here on STP. I realize now how much I missed this community
Heading to Oregon this week...anyone wanna ride along?

Staff online