hitching in tennessee? | Squat the Planet

hitching in tennessee?

T Spoon

Reaction score
i’ve never hitched out in the south (except once in virginia and it sucked). any advice for hitchhiking outta tennessee? i’m trying to go northwest.

D

Dayoldpizza

Made a sign that said *GOIN HOME TO MAMA*
Ozzy sang that * momma in comin hoooomeeee* on the fadio that day, holidays, the south digs a family man i noticed.
Got a ride from 2 truckers in tennessee cause of it, but lightening dosnt strike twice...

AAAutin

Reaction score
Hmmm...I was never that far east in Tennessee. (I was hoping you were going to say "Memphis" or "Union City"—then I'd have advice!) Maybe try for Clarksville/Kentucky? Wish I could be more help...

T Spoon

Reaction score
Hmmm...I was never that far east in Tennessee. (I was hoping you were going to say "Memphis" or "Union City"—then I'd have advice!) Maybe try for Clarksville/Kentucky? Wish I could be more help...
what kinda advice you got regardless? anything helps right now, especially if we end up making it out that way. :+)

AAAutin

Reaction score
Well, if you find yourself near Missouri, cross the Mississippi and jump on 55. Pretty much anything goes there—walking on the interstate, whatever.

In general, when it comes to Tennessee, if you're walking the state/county highways with the flow of traffic (as opposed to against it)—it shouldn't be long before someone offers to let you jump in the bed of their pickup. (At least that was my experience...)

T Spoon

Reaction score
Well, if you find yourself near Missouri, cross the Mississippi and jump on 55. Pretty much anything goes there—walking on the interstate, whatever.

In general, when it comes to Tennessee, if you're walking the state/county highways with the flow of traffic (as opposed to against it)—it shouldn't be long before someone offers to let you jump in the bed of their pickup. (At least that was my experience...)
do you have any experience with interstates? usually i thumb it on the on ramps but i know that that can be an ordeal with the cops.

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
TN is cake. But, avoid Knoxville. Place fucking sucks.. even in the outskirts I couldn't get a ride outta that place.

Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
My experience in Tennessee was spanging outside truck stops all day, getting no rides, but enough money for a taxi to the next truck stop. Did this for days, never got a ride. Eventually took a greyhound out of the state. There were a hell of a lot of kickdowns which got me out but hitching was horrible.

RottonCotton

Reaction score
Easy, easy , easy , avoid Chattanooga and know 20 miles each side town x 2

40 is a bad ass stetch .
15 years of hitching combined with 22 rails is superb knowledge.

Don't end up in Mexico

benton

Reaction score
East Tennessee has been my least favorite hitching.

As far as the south in general, I do the best when I avoid the freeways and hitch the US Highways. I like to walk so I would make a large sign with the name of a town ahead in the direction I was walking and hang it off the back of my pack then start walking out of town. Sometimes I would walk for several hours but I almost always got rides. I like to get dropped off at Walmart Supercenters. There's usually a patch of woods to camp in, might be able to spange, and supplies are available if needed.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads