hitching in tennessee?

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Phoenix, AZ
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
i’ve never hitched out in the south (except once in virginia and it sucked). any advice for hitchhiking outta tennessee? i’m trying to go northwest.

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
NFA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Tennessee was pretty good to me. What part are you in?

D

Dayoldpizza

I deleted myself
Made a sign that said *GOIN HOME TO MAMA*
Ozzy sang that * momma in comin hoooomeeee* on the fadio that day, holidays, the south digs a family man i noticed.
Got a ride from 2 truckers in tennessee cause of it, but lightening dosnt strike twice...

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
NFA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Hmmm...I was never that far east in Tennessee. (I was hoping you were going to say "Memphis" or "Union City"—then I'd have advice!) Maybe try for Clarksville/Kentucky? Wish I could be more help...

OP
OP
T Spoon
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Phoenix, AZ
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Hmmm...I was never that far east in Tennessee. (I was hoping you were going to say "Memphis" or "Union City"—then I'd have advice!) Maybe try for Clarksville/Kentucky? Wish I could be more help...
what kinda advice you got regardless? anything helps right now, especially if we end up making it out that way. :+)

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
NFA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Well, if you find yourself near Missouri, cross the Mississippi and jump on 55. Pretty much anything goes there—walking on the interstate, whatever.

In general, when it comes to Tennessee, if you're walking the state/county highways with the flow of traffic (as opposed to against it)—it shouldn't be long before someone offers to let you jump in the bed of their pickup. (At least that was my experience...)

OP
OP
T Spoon
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Phoenix, AZ
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Well, if you find yourself near Missouri, cross the Mississippi and jump on 55. Pretty much anything goes there—walking on the interstate, whatever.

In general, when it comes to Tennessee, if you're walking the state/county highways with the flow of traffic (as opposed to against it)—it shouldn't be long before someone offers to let you jump in the bed of their pickup. (At least that was my experience...)
do you have any experience with interstates? usually i thumb it on the on ramps but i know that that can be an ordeal with the cops.

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
NFA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
No, sorry, I gave up on the ramp tramp thing a while ago...

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Melbourne, AUS
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Get on an on ramp leading to the highway in the direction you wanna go. If you haven't gotten anywhere in 2 days, come on back here and we'll figure out what you're doing wrong. Good luck

Last edited:
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I hitched all over Tennessee from truck stops to ramps and cops didn't bother me. The TA in Nashville is a good place to get a ride if you don't get thrown off by security.

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Fuck Off Land
Reactions
98% 1% 2%
TN is cake. But, avoid Knoxville. Place fucking sucks.. even in the outskirts I couldn't get a ride outta that place.

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
New Orleans, LA
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
Nashville has a decent hop out. Hitching can be a bitch. Megabus goes out of Memphis as well

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
150 M St NE, Washington, DC 20002, USA
Website
twitter.com
Reactions
91% 0% 9%
My experience in Tennessee was spanging outside truck stops all day, getting no rides, but enough money for a taxi to the next truck stop. Did this for days, never got a ride. Eventually took a greyhound out of the state. There were a hell of a lot of kickdowns which got me out but hitching was horrible.

RottonCotton

Pilgrim
I deleted myself
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Dallas Texas
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
Easy, easy , easy , avoid Chattanooga and know 20 miles each side town x 2

40 is a bad ass stetch .
15 years of hitching combined with 22 rails is superb knowledge.

Don't end up in Mexico

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Little Rock, United States
Reactions
95% 3% 2%
East Tennessee has been my least favorite hitching.

As far as the south in general, I do the best when I avoid the freeways and hitch the US Highways. I like to walk so I would make a large sign with the name of a town ahead in the direction I was walking and hang it off the back of my pack then start walking out of town. Sometimes I would walk for several hours but I almost always got rides. I like to get dropped off at Walmart Supercenters. There's usually a patch of woods to camp in, might be able to spange, and supplies are available if needed.

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
hell
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
tenn treated me good everytime I went through there whether, hitching or riding freight, Nashville is fun.