hitching in tennessee?

Current Location
Phoenix, AZ
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
i’ve never hitched out in the south (except once in virginia and it sucked). any advice for hitchhiking outta tennessee? i’m trying to go northwest.

Current Location
NFA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Tennessee was pretty good to me. What part are you in?

Current Location
Marina, ca
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
Made a sign that said *GOIN HOME TO MAMA*
Ozzy sang that * momma in comin hoooomeeee* on the fadio that day, holidays, the south digs a family man i noticed.
Got a ride from 2 truckers in tennessee cause of it, but lightening dosnt strike twice...

Current Location
NFA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Hmmm...I was never that far east in Tennessee. (I was hoping you were going to say "Memphis" or "Union City"—then I'd have advice!) Maybe try for Clarksville/Kentucky? Wish I could be more help...

OP
OP
T Spoon
Current Location
Phoenix, AZ
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Hmmm...I was never that far east in Tennessee. (I was hoping you were going to say "Memphis" or "Union City"—then I'd have advice!) Maybe try for Clarksville/Kentucky? Wish I could be more help...
what kinda advice you got regardless? anything helps right now, especially if we end up making it out that way. :+)

Current Location
NFA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Well, if you find yourself near Missouri, cross the Mississippi and jump on 55. Pretty much anything goes there—walking on the interstate, whatever.

In general, when it comes to Tennessee, if you're walking the state/county highways with the flow of traffic (as opposed to against it)—it shouldn't be long before someone offers to let you jump in the bed of their pickup. (At least that was my experience...)

OP
OP
T Spoon
Current Location
Phoenix, AZ
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Well, if you find yourself near Missouri, cross the Mississippi and jump on 55. Pretty much anything goes there—walking on the interstate, whatever.

In general, when it comes to Tennessee, if you're walking the state/county highways with the flow of traffic (as opposed to against it)—it shouldn't be long before someone offers to let you jump in the bed of their pickup. (At least that was my experience...)
do you have any experience with interstates? usually i thumb it on the on ramps but i know that that can be an ordeal with the cops.

Current Location
NFA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
No, sorry, I gave up on the ramp tramp thing a while ago...

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Current Location
Albany NY
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Get on an on ramp leading to the highway in the direction you wanna go. If you haven't gotten anywhere in 2 days, come on back here and we'll figure out what you're doing wrong. Good luck

Last edited:
Current Location
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I hitched all over Tennessee from truck stops to ramps and cops didn't bother me. The TA in Nashville is a good place to get a ride if you don't get thrown off by security.