Help!! Stuck with bad passport in Indonesia | Squat the Planet

Help!! Stuck with bad passport in Indonesia

makan kotoran

Reaction score
ok...
well I'm still in Indo, I just hitched from bandung all the way to the border to east timor, only to find out that Immagration fucked up my passport and I've now overstayed a month becuase they didn't stamp it, the fine for that is 6,000,00 rp, which I don't have.
If I say longer than sixty days it goes up to 25,000,000rp or 5 years jail if you can't pay. there is no way I can pay this orget out of the country legally.
any suggestons?
thanks guys

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
Wow, that really sucks.

I don't know Indonesia at all, but I know a lot of these kind of stories. Here are some of the endings:

1)Money changes hands and you get the proper stamp.

2)You make a big production about how the other gov't department fucked up and ask for their help.

3)You explain your problem to a friendly soldier. They often don't like fuck-ups on their watch and can make problems go away.

4) You call your embassy and they sort it out.

5) You find a place were the boarder is porous and you won't need a visa on the other side. In your case I'm guessing this would be a yacht trip, which you know all about.

Good luck man! Let us know how it comes out.

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
well do they take american money? im sure theres quite a few people who would hate to see this guy put in jail for that long... maybe we can do something like halfbaked

BelCh

Reaction score
Wow those are wonderfull ideas ! I dont know what I would do in that situation !
It seems like a good idea to go to the embasy and all ...
I really think that should do the trick but if it doesnt
I know I would make it a 24 hour a day effert to make the money !
I would pan handle and fly signs all day , and seek prime spots to do so ...
and do any and other things if nessessary .... If you try really really hard you can do it..
I've seen kids who's dogs got imponded ... and seen them raise 600 bucks to get there doggs out of doggie jail...

Sell drugs , sell food stamps , sell your body Lol ...
well maybe not your body ... You can pretend to
and then kick em where it hurts
Good luck though ..
be care full and
get that money ...
and get this taken care of

BlewJ

Permanent traveler in a transitory world.
Reaction score
I really like the embassy idea. You're a U.S. citizen. Even if you hate that, use it to your advantage when in a pinch.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
Option 1 goes something like, "I'm sorry my stamp from xxxxx doesn't show. Would it be POSSIBLE to get the stamp refreshed here?" In countries where $600 may be a whole year's income for a farmer, $5-10 can often fix these problems if you have respect.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
lose your passport, go to your embassy get a temp one..only thing is youl have to head home

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Honnestly though dude, what are you doing so far away with less than that kicking around!

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I havent been, but I have heard from a lot of friends living there, that they want your money. they will imprison you and keep raising your fine untill it is paid.
get some more money now, next time you get fucked with, make sure there is some cash tucked in you passport for them to lose.

makan kotoran

Reaction score
In response to the $$ question, I'm australian, there for it's almost $1200 or $5000, I have just over $200 dollars, and no old folks to beg money off.
I'm a month and a half over at the moment, I was talking to some people who have family that work for immagration. at the moment that's 3 months time, or If the embassy can fix the old problem, it's only 1 month.

Cranberry:

A Yacht is out of the question, International yacht rides are to heavily monitored, That's how I got here, and It was a shit load of paper work. the only boat crossing I could pull off would be with the drug runners from Papua new guinea to far north Queensland, therefore having to do do two jungle border crossings in places where you need a special visa, tour guides and need to report to a police station every day your there and provide them with everything your doing. I random white dude trekking through the jungle alone for weeks will draw some attention I'm sure.

Other than that, I could hitch a fishing boat from sulewesi to kalimantan, do another jungle border crossing into malaysia, and either lose my passport there, or try and get to the phillpines, my partner wants to get back to Aus, but refuses to leave without me and I can't drag them into this, so I'm on a miserable 7 island hitch at the moment to hand my self into to the enemy and face the music.
wish me luck.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
Best of luck, man! Sometimes there just aren't any easy answers. Keep us posted when you get a chance. If nothing else it'll be a hell of a good story!

makan kotoran

Reaction score
ok update. First of all the embassy helped fuck all. They literally said that it's not their problem. So i went into bali (i tried to think of the most touristed place) and went to immagration to try and hand myself in of my own free will hoping they would more leniant. First they tried to send me to a city ages away, when I refused they let me leave (weird. This was the 3rd tome i'd offered myself up and nobody could be bothered to arrest me. So after a few hours of thinking i took myself to the quarantine cells and tried to hand myself in again. I ended up getting taken to the head of immagration's office and after 2hrs talking and begging, they left the room for about half hour and came back to say that they had to little space to lock me up and that they would take my passport untill monday and then oi had to come back hand myself back and they would deport me straight away and blacklist me for a year. They then let me go home and spend the weekend celebrating. Wooooooo

Coffin Dodger

Reaction score
Sounds like it all werked out better than expected, Makan. Good to hear, and a crazy fuckin' story, to boot.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Nice man.. honestly the nice thing about traveling to allot of places is there actually so laid back most of the time they dont give a shit whats going on

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads