Hello from Havre!

Reaction score
Met several of the travelers of the trains this summer. Have offered to let a few stay at my place. Met Shitbag Danny and Brittany yesterday and they stayed the night. We had pizza and cookies for dinner while watching a movie. Had to work this morning so they had to leave early. It was great getting to know them and Danny showed me this site.

Have read a few of the comments in other threads about staying away from Havre. Can't really tell you what to do either way, but I can tell you this: I'm going to try to set up something up in my basement for those whom get stuck in town. I live only a few blocks from the main drag, and those that stop by can come in the back door. They could wash clothes, take a shower, or just relax.
All I ask is that you do your best to get cleaned up BEFORE you arrive. Some of you have already acknowledged that train riders can carry around quite the "aroma" about them. If possible, I could leave clean clothes to put on after a shower and while yours are in the washer/drying. Unfortunately, due to the few "bad apples" that is always part of a community, access to the upstairs to shower, watch TV, etc, would be limited to when I am home. I work 2 jobs, so that may mean that people would have to arrive by 4pm M--F, get showered and clothes going by 5:45pm cuz I work at 6pm--9pm(alittle later, Fri/Sat).

There would be no smoking on the premises, especially indoors, ABSOLUTELY NO DRUGS, and alcohol only when I am off work from the 2nd job.
I would provide the occasional meal. Computer use will be allowed, but again only when I am home. Dogs are allowed, but I do have a cat, so please consider this, or let me know ASAP. Stayovers would be limited to 2 nights, and access to my home will not be possible while I am at work.

If you arrive before I get home from either job, there is a park about 7 blocks due west of my home. If you arrive just before I get home, wait by the back door or go inside to the basement and thru the right door at the bottom. In the 2nd room will be an air mattress with blankets. Washer/dryer is in the first room, but if you do laundry and are staying the night, please use laundry lines to hang clothes to dry to save on electric bill. There is also a water spigot on the NW corner of the building.

I leave for work about 7:20am, so everybody must be up and out by that time.
Max capacity I figure is 4 people b/c I have 2 air beds. However, if you don't mind sleeping on the floor, 6-8 people is possible.

There will be other rules as well--I do have neighbors--, but I'm making this up as I go.

Why am I doing this you may ask? B/c I admire what you are all doing. Plus, I am a long distance trail backpacker/hiker. Our hiking community has what is called, "Trail Angels" and what they do is called "Trail Magic". I've done alittle of both, but since I'm 3 hours from the nearest long trail(Continental Divide Trail), I thought I'd do what I'm going to call, "Rail Magic".
By the way, I'm not a Mormon, Jehovah, or anything else(no offense intended to those that are). I don't have guns, nor am I a dangerous criminal, or mentally unstable. or anything else that may scare you away.

As I said I am making this up as I go along. If anyone is interested, let me know by PM. If anyone has any suggestions of how to accomodate these "rail travelers", let me know as well.:

Reaction score
Alittle more about me:

I'm 46, backpacked about 9500 miles. I've done the AT, PCT(CA), CDT(NM/CO), and much more. Born and raised in WI and moved out to Montana 3 years ago. I'm an amateur astronomer, a DJ at the local college, enjoy taking B/W photos, love exploring the countryside, and kayaking. Never married, have one son(not living with me), have a cat named Celeste, and used to collect comics and Spawn action figures.

Just trying to let you guys/gals know I'm not a weirdo and the previous offer for lodging is genuine.

Reaction score
Yeah, it's getting cold up here in north central MT and it's early this year. So cold last night, that many, many trees that still had yet to turn have dropped all their leaves today! What a bummer. I'm guessing b/c rail riding can involve being exposed to the elements that I probably won't see anybody coming thru town after Danny and Brit.
Am I wrong to assume that, now that the weather has turned colder?

WindWalker1970

Reaction score
That is a very cool thing to do. Making a waystation in Harve. You never know when a frozen rail rider might need a warm cup o soup and a warm spot for the night with winter coming on. I have yet to ride the rails, but next summer I want to try and see some of the north by rail. =)

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, it's getting cold up here in north central MT and it's early this year. So cold last night, that many, many trees that still had yet to turn have dropped all their leaves today! What a bummer. I'm guessing b/c rail riding can involve being exposed to the elements that I probably won't see anybody coming thru town after Danny and Brit.
Am I wrong to assume that, now that the weather has turned colder?

You will find the amount of riders passing through RAPIDLY decreasing, but there will still be a couple here and there.

Reaction score
That is a very cool thing to do. Making a waystation in Harve. You never know when a frozen rail rider might need a warm cup o soup and a warm spot for the night with winter coming on. I have yet to ride the rails, but next summer I want to try and see some of the north by rail. =)

Though I am a walker, and will be doing about 16,000 miles of walking starting in about 2 years(maybe less), someday I'd like to join this interesting community of people and get on the rails myself.

robbyforever

Reaction score
This is absolutley amazing, me and my boy just did six days in that havre jail this summer for riding and this would have been amazing to know about- keep it up! that yard is ruff and im sure there are going to be some folks who are down and out sooner or later.

love from mpls.

robby

shitbagdanny

Reaction score
To everybody with the encouraging words....Thanks!!

On another note, I forgot to mention that Shitbag Danny and Brittany never made it out of town. So I was completely surprised when I stopped in at a gas station a week later and saw Brit hanging out in front of the building. Offered both of them a place to stay and they took me up on it. Guess they made it out of town, cuz I haven't seen them since.

shitbagdanny

Reaction score
Ok...................now why did my avatar get replaced by one of Danny?

shitbagdanny

Reaction score
I got it! B/c I am signed in under his name.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads