hella anxiety meds | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

hella anxiety meds

Ouija

Reaction score
I take medications from time to time but I've realized a great way to sooth feelings of anxst and fear is to find out what brings them on and put the reverse reaction on it. For example, I used to be quite social but the past few years have changed that tremendously so I'm not really up to talking much, however I like being around people who talk alot if their subject matter is interesting; which in turn brings out the jibber jabber in me which I really enjoy If youre traveling with someone who has a good head on their shoulders, ask em to tell you stories and make up games. When I was traveling with no meds this worked wonders. I will soon be doing the same again as I've been very stressed in my current living situation, although I'm looking forward to being without cash, less alcohol to fxck my already outta wack brain up lol

coaltrain26

Reaction score
use to take melatonin to assist with sleeping, i dont have sleeping problems as of late. ive always had social anxiety and have always been stressed in general, st johns works okay, cant take melatonin in regular activities cause it will make me sleepy, same with weed. i dont want to be shaken with anxiety but i dont want to be zombie tired either.... im thinkin of trying this kava thing? this threads pretty helpful.

panik

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have anxiety really, realllly bad, too. For years and years I've been self-medicating with alcohol because I basically can't be around people much, go into stores, travel or...live without some chemical help. It really sucks, and I'm trying to not drink (I'm a really stupid drunk and bad-off alcoholic, to the point of I needed booze 24 hours every single day).
Right now I'm taking buspirone and paxil and trazadone at night, it's been like a week and a half though and I have basically just been being a hermit, so it's hard to tell if it's working.
I've been reading stuff on here:Social Anxiety Forums .
One thing I'm going to look into is curcumin. I've read lots of good things about it.
Sorry I'm not much help but those forums really are.

coaltrain26

Reaction score
its really hard and it annoys the hell out of me. i drink to deal with it as well and for the last ten years or so have to have a couple just to feel comfortable around my friends and let loose. Now that ive realized that drinking is a problem and that i have been an adict and try to stop its like trying to learn all over how to be a person, and how to be friends and i still wonder how im suppose to act or behave around people. its actually quite depressing lol. its like the playground all over again.

mksnowboarder

Reaction score
Not sure how I forgot to mention l-theanine. It's an active ingredient in tea (green moreso than black) that produces relaxation and moderates the effects of caffeine (hence why you can imbibe more caffeine via tea than coffee without getting jittery).

It crosses the blood brain barrier to directly affect levels of dopamine, serotonin, and most relevantly, GABA-A. It works wonders for anxiety, and is the only OTC anxiety remedy that's had any positive effect for me.

mike

Reactions: panik

Heron

not very crusty
Reaction score
Website
tracklabs.net
this thread has been interesting and i think important for a lot of people, including me. unfortunately, no magical cure seems to be lying about, so we'll just carry on eh.

i have bad anxiety often. lately it comes on at night almost as if on a schedule. like a lot of yall ive just been trying to self-medicate and find out what helps and just doing w/e i can. it's a concern because i plan to travel soon, and tho im no pussy when im 'normal', everything useful and good about me just melts when i go into anxious mode. (i guess it's general anxiety disorder?)

the only thing that works for sure for me is weed. i know some people get anxiety attacks from it, and im sure i could too if i smoked too much of some crazy strain, but a few puffs is the only sure remedy when my brain starts trying to eat itself or w/e. second to that, as others have mentioned, THEANINE! weed is often expensive and hard to keep around at all times, but theanine is legal and much cheaper, and found in green tea and tablets, which are particularly good. it can help anxiety in general but i don't think it barely ever just straight up removes it like weed does for me. but everything affects people differently, and take it from anyone who has used theanine that it's worth trying out, whether you get anxiety/panic attacks, or are just an alcohol or caffeine fan. (i think it has cool effects on alcohol iirc)

on the note of caffeine... if you're like me and others who drink 34906340 cups of coffee a day and sometimes that causes anxiety, (or just general overcaffeination) then theanine is a very reliable antidote. there's been times where im incredibly overcaffeinated and in a terrible environment and incredibly anxious, and taking 100mg theanine capsule made me sane in like 15 minutes.

kadenelias

Reaction score
uuuum...WEED. duh.

kadenelias

Reaction score
also this is strange and obviously everything else that has been said too (i.e. meditation, going and living in the forest for a while and forgetting your burdens, definitely martial arts, tai chi et cetera), but one thing that has helped my anxiety was bad trips on psychedelics - going crazy and back again and knowing you can find your way back not only builds confidence but also makes existing when your mind is normal and not being fucked with, so much easier. I'm a much calmer person post-acid than I was before acid.

panik

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i have been sort of in panic mode lately and have made a kava root drink mixture a few times...it really kind of helped. the powder is what my mom happened to have ordered but you can get it in capsules and extract.
it definitely calms you down, but not to any point of feeling high or anything. also, it's an anesthetic and makes yer mouth numb heh.
i have tried basically all the drugs for anxiety/panic disorder that aren't narcotic over the years and nothing worked so far that I can tell. klonopin is the only thing that helped, and that is a.) hard to get prescribed and b.) very addictive, and the withdrawls are no fun (just like any other benzo).
having failed the whole settling down experiment I'm now about to head back out on the road and am definitely going to pick up kava capsules when I get the chance.
taking notes on all the other herbal stuff mentioned that I haven't tried to take into a health food store with me at some point.
has anyone ever tried kratom? people use it mostly for opiate withdrawls or to get high I guess. for me it created a mild euphoric feeling and definitely calmed me down, but the next day I actually had a hangover as if I'd drank hard the night before. :eek:

oh and green tea huh?? that's awesome to know!
green tea and yerba mate together (with chamomile and spearmint) = :D
i love making tea concoctions...cocktails...

Heron

not very crusty
Reaction score
Website
tracklabs.net
also this is strange and obviously everything else that has been said too (i.e. meditation, going and living in the forest for a while and forgetting your burdens, definitely martial arts, tai chi et cetera), but one thing that has helped my anxiety was bad trips on psychedelics - going crazy and back again and knowing you can find your way back not only builds confidence but also makes existing when your mind is normal and not being fucked with, so much easier. I'm a much calmer person post-acid than I was before acid.

you have a good point but there's also a flipside to that. for some reason shrooms give me the worst anxiety i've ever experienced. (just unlucky genetics i guess. funny thing is i can enjoy them fully as long as im really stoned the whole time/especially during the come-up.) although psychedelics and going through anxiety or whatnot can definitely strengthen your mind, it can also make your anxiety more prominent if you have a really bad anxiety attack during the trip. weeks after a really bad trip+anxiety attack, im still getting much worse anxiety than normal and i know it's from that.

i guess my point is that a bad trip alone can definitely be very helpful afterwards (or during. and people have different definitions of bad trips) but if you trip on something that also triggers horrible anxiety, then you're not only going to mindrape yourself for 8+ hours, but if you're like me, you're going to have your anxiety 'awakened' afterwards for quite a while, and that doesnt help for shit.

dont be afraid of psychedelix but also dont be like me and keep coming back to something when you know the results are gonna be really bad. listen to how things affect you. yeah.

and also on note of person i quoted... some acid would be great. :)

kadenelias

Reaction score
you have a good point but there's also a flipside to that. for some reason shrooms give me the worst anxiety i've ever experienced. (just unlucky genetics i guess. funny thing is i can enjoy them fully as long as im really stoned the whole time/especially during the come-up.) although psychedelics and going through anxiety or whatnot can definitely strengthen your mind, it can also make your anxiety more prominent if you have a really bad anxiety attack during the trip. weeks after a really bad trip+anxiety attack, im still getting much worse anxiety than normal and i know it's from that.

i guess my point is that a bad trip alone can definitely be very helpful afterwards (or during. and people have different definitions of bad trips) but if you trip on something that also triggers horrible anxiety, then you're not only going to mindrape yourself for 8+ hours, but if you're like me, you're going to have your anxiety 'awakened' afterwards for quite a while, and that doesnt help for shit.

dont be afraid of psychedelix but also dont be like me and keep coming back to something when you know the results are gonna be really bad. listen to how things affect you. yeah.

and also on note of person i quoted... some acid would be great. :)

That's definitely true too, and I have made the mistake of keeping coming back to something that I know will have bad results (I'm learning to avoid that when possible). It's not a quick solution and can make it worse sometimes, but in the long run, at least for me, it has made me a stronger person. Part of me even enjoys having bad trips the way people like horror movies, even if it's something subconscious in me, & enjoys having negative experiences ...I know, I'm a strange person.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
you could try a dose of some ayahuasca brew. i take it about 2-3 times a year and it helps a lot (with pretty much anything you need help with in your life).
also, as mentioned earlier, poppy tea is quite relaxing.

if you're not into the mind-altering things, try taking apple cider vinegar. it has to be raw, unpasteurized, and with the 'Mother' in it. don't ask me what that is, but it's a must. i mix about 1-2 tbsp with a 8 oz of water and add some raw honey or agave nectar to taste.

also, check out www.earthclinic.com

travis

Reaction score
Liquor. In copious amounts. It's the only thing that helps me... pharmaceuticals make it worse. Weed makes it WAY worse, had to quit that all together. Could be psychosomatic, but I've been prescribed every drug ending in "pam" in existence at one time or another to no avail. Liquor, liquor, liquor. Probably gonna kill me eventually, but I'll have a better quality of life on the way.

Reactions: dharma bum

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
yea i like Valerian passion flower combo i found it hard to move after i drink this tea after some food in me and maybe a little ganja
and i like to smoke a little mug wort sometimes to
All good suggestions. If you can find pure valerian essential oil, that stuff is pretty strong and can come close to low dose valium when
used. Passion flower is more for anti-depression(natural MAOI), but depending on what is the root cause of ones anxiety, it can be of
great help. As for the ganja, well that could either help or hurt, depends on the individual and the nature of their anxiety, everyone is a little different on that one. Mugwort is good to, but like catnip, I find it more a sleep aid or used for anxiety that is costing you sleep.
Believe it or not but lavender is excellent for anxiety, just crushing and smelling fresh cut lavender can help calm the nerves
and even ease a headache. The combo of smelling it and consuming it have a noticeable effect. Pure lavender essential oil is even
stronger. Some other benefits of lavender is that it helps heal burns and can make the effects of opiates a little more pronounced.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
The kava kava does actually work pretty well.
Kava does work well, but watch your dosages and frequency of use. If over used Kava can cause some toxicity issues in
the liver. Not good mixed with alcohol either. Kava is a good muscle relaxer though!

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
I've been self-medicating with Sulbutiamine which is principally a nootropic but also has anti-anxiety and mood elevating properties, I was skeptical to start with but (and I say this as someone who has a lot of mental health issues and experience with many SSRIs tri-cyclics and so on) it actually fucking works.
It's very subtle, it just seems to make stress a lot less stressful and, if you combine it with a couple of strong coffees or an energy drink it's not unlike cheap speed.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads