Have any of you ever had your ID ran for no reason? | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

Have any of you ever had your ID ran for no reason?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
This is not true. There are some, actually. Many, states that allow them to ask for I'd for any reason.

Do not refuse a cop ID, unless you have a damn good reason, or if you like going to jail. Because they will "detain" you if they can't identify you. Especially if they are looking for a suspect in a felony, and you happen to be the unlucky bastards that fits the description.

Seriously. Stop giving out this info. It isint true.

actually, @soapybum's statement IS true according to federal law. now in reality though, its just a lot easier to show your id and move on. but don't tell people that isn't true, because it is.

RottonCotton

Reaction score
I get checked on average about 18 times or less a month I also have warrants in 8 different states for traffic and etc. None extradition type the last cop that got me on onramp replied . Your the coolest dude I've ever met on the road . He tossed me my I'd and a bag of mints and drove off .

Gore Oklahoma different story . My road dog and me stopped at loves and ran into two kids sitting in front . They handed me a bottle whiskey and I shot it off . Then ten mins later cop pulls up gets out . He didn't run names nothing . His statement as follows . Get the fuck out of here , kick rocks now . Y'all got ten minutes or all going to jail . I said thir yes thir.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
actually, @soapybum's statement IS true according to federal law. now in reality though, its just a lot easier to show your id and move on. but don't tell people that isn't true, because it is.

Federal law does not supersede state law when it comes to proving identity, that is strictly a state by state law, and they (police) are fully within the law to haul your ass to jail if they cant identify you, and detain you up to 24 hours in order to do so. EXPECIALLY when you match the description on a suspect in a case.

All this info is coming directly from training I've participated in with LE officers

Its fucked up, but it's the law (which is inherently fucked up)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
and they (police) are fully within the law to haul your ass to jail if they cant identify you, and detain you up to 24 hours in order to do so.

look, im sure that's what they told you, but the reality is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

"Stop and identify" statutes are statutory laws in the United States that authorize police[1] to legally obtain the identification of someone whom they reasonably suspect of having committed a crime. If there is no reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed, is being committed, or is about to be committed, an individual is not required to provide identification, even in "Stop and ID" states.

which makes @soapybum's statement absolutely true:

You're not required to give the cop any info like that unles you're being detained. If they ask for it just ask if you're being detained or arrested and why.

in which you said it wasn't:

This is not true. There are some, actually. Many, states that allow them to ask for I'd for any reason.

Seriously. Stop giving out this info. It isint true.

There are many states with laws that require you to carry ID and present it when asked.

trust me, i've being dealing with police harassment in protests and other political situations for nigh on 20 years. if you haven't committed a crime or suspected of doing so, you ARE NOT required to present ID in the USA.

now that will likely change as the US becomes more of a police state, but please do not misinform people here by telling them they are required to carry and present ID at all times. respectfully, that is simply not true.

now whether it is more practical to carry and present at all times, is another issue entirely.

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
look, im sure that's what they told you, but the reality is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

which makes @soapybum's statement absolutely true:

in which you said it wasn't:

trust me, i've being dealing with police harassment in protests and other political situations for nigh on 20 years. if you haven't committed a crime or suspected of doing so, you ARE NOT required to present ID in the USA.

now that will likely change as the US becomes more of a police state, but please do not misinform people here by telling them they are required to carry and present ID at all times. respectfully, that is simply not true.

now whether it is more practical to carry and present at all times, is another issue entirely.

You are not required to have ID in you at all times, and no, police are not able to just "stop and ID" for no reason.

However, it is incredibly, and I mean incredibly easy to develop reasonable suspiscion.

Reasonable suspicion in not probable cause, it is a step in determination that leads to discovering PC.

That being said, if you look homeless, and the area still has vagrancy laws on the books (which many do), the cops thereby have reasonable suspicion that you are committing a crime (violation really, but it's essentially the same thing)

If you they cannot identify you, they do have cause to detain you until they can, for up to 24 hours in most places. I've seen it happen. Doesnt mean if it is legal or not.

Now, you dont have to HAVE an ID (unless you are operating a vehicle)

But you would be "required" to give a name and date of birth, if you dont want to go to jail.

Now, this is all hypothetical, but it's happened, if the cops got nothing in you, no, you are not required to show ID, but if they do (and that's at least %70 of the time cops talk to people) they can detain you for not providing ID or name and DOB.

Now this all only matter if the cops are that hard pressed, and are willing to go to court for it. But they know it will probably never be pressed, and therefore doing give a shit.

Either way, it still fucks you day. Or 2.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
they will detain you for not providing ID or name and DOB.

i agree with most of what you've said, but in this traveling community i've never once seen this happen when someone failed to produce an ID (which happens a lot). they might 'detain' you for 30 mins or so to run whatever info you give them, but you're certainly not going to get arrested on that alone. in 90% of situations i've witnessed, they run the bs info, come back with nothing, and let us go. mostly because i think they just don't want to deal with the paperwork.

Reactions: Coywolf

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
That's weird, I've seen people detained for not having ID many times. But then again I was in Arizona....

• Useful
Reactions: Strangeandsolo

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Just stumbled upon this. Good info. Has anyone on here ever used a friend's name or relative? I had a friend do that once and they let him go.

Lilly

Reaction score
When kamloops was 'cleaning up downtown' aka harassing anyone who looks like they don't live in a house... I got ID'd sitting in the alley, I got id'd when I made it to the front of the building, then at the end of that block, half ways down the next block, so I thought Ah ha I'll cut into a alley got Id'd again then made it into riverside. I legit think law enforcement was just trying to annoy all of us into leaving downtown and going to another part of town...I'm not wanted or have anything on my record so when cops asked for my ID I just coughed it up let them "Hmm N haw" over it then they let me keep walking

Honestly I think if you look any bit homeless or traveller like I'd kind of expect to get your ID looked @ any time you run into a cop & in my humble(barely travelled anyplace) opinion if you don't got any reason to be hiding who you are such as a warrant or something I say jus let them look at your dorky ID pic so you can move on with your day

Reactions: Coywolf

Dameon

Reaction score
if you don't got any reason to be hiding who you are such as a warrant or something I say jus let them look at your dorky ID pic so you can move on with your day
And then you're encouraging them to keep up the process of unconstitutionally demanding IDs as part of class warfare. Every time somebody fights it, and makes it a pain in the ass for them to demand ID, it makes them less likely to want to go through that hassle. Every time somebody just bows their head and accepts it, the police state secures its noose around our necks a little tighter.

Lilly

Reaction score
And then you're encouraging them to keep up the process of unconstitutionally demanding IDs as part of class warfare. Every time somebody fights it, and makes it a pain in the ass for them to demand ID, it makes them less likely to want to go through that hassle. Every time somebody just bows their head and accepts it, the police state secures its noose around our necks a little tighter.

Okay I agree with you it's screwed up how the police demand ID's from people who appear to be in a lower class of poverty and more people should know their rights for when approached by police that they are Not Required to share their ID... Tho I can't say being a butt-head about not having to produce it would be a good idea either :)

Dameon

Reaction score
Tho I can't say being a butt-head about not having to produce it would be a good idea either :)
Definitely not. Most cops don't even respond well to a polite questioning of whether or not you've done something wrong. You're putting yourself in a spot where your life will be made harder every time you question the authority of the police, and putting yourself at risk of being beaten, raped, or shot. But every time somebody gives in to fear and doesn't question them, they get that much more sure of their authority, and they feel that much more empowered to fuck over the next person that tries to stand up for themselves. Basically, you either stand up against the problem, or you help create the problem. Standing up to bullies has consequences in the short term, being afraid to stand up to them has consequences in the long term.

It is worth nothing, though, that the feds bowed to state governments a while back on this, and there are many states where you have limited or no rights to refuse to give the cops your ID. In Colorado, for example, if police "suspect" you've been involved in a crime of any sort, you cannot refuse to give them ID. Other states, (mostly in the south), it's straight-up illegal to not show ID on demand. Be aware of where a state stands on "stop and identify" before going there, and save yourself some trouble, if you're going to stand up to yourself.

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
When I was at University (2009-2012) it was at least twice a week.

I lived a fair way from where I was studying so I spent my breaks just bumming around Brisbane City. Cops ID me, search me etc. Caught them following me a few times too. Asked why they kept hassling me and the response I got was "Well, you look a bit suss mate".

They always seemed disappointed when the first ID I pulled was a student one.

Haven't spent too much time in cities over the past couple years, but still get it in Brisbane from time to time.

Reaction score
One Cop stopped me on My Spanky CHeeta Skateboard Im a SkateDog from the 70"s... I travel 30 to 50 miles a day. The Cop said what are you doing tonite I said im in transitiontravelling to my next destination.. He said are you transient I said Yes Im a Urban Digital Nomad on travel to seek a Hackerspace nearby >I heard your beautiful City posesss 4 in the Inner District Annex> Am I correct.. He said well welcome to our beautiful City we checked your ID and you have a Warrant in Danvers ,Mass a Federal Warrant but you are classed "Territorial Immunity" correct yes Sir I said ..He said well just do go back to Danvers,Ma we laughed and he said enjoy your evening and enjoy our City

• Epic
Reactions: Juan Derlust

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads