Have any of you ever had your ID ran for no reason? | Squat the Planet

Have any of you ever had your ID ran for no reason?

Everymanalion

Reaction score
Im sorry i keep posting so many questions but im curious and need to know some things before i head out, i would not be riding the rails, i would be checking the state and local laws before i fly signs and hitch and im straight edge so i would not be fucked up publicly or anywhere for that matter and not doing anything illegal.

So im curious.... How many times have you had your name, ID, SSN number ran for no reason at all? lets say just sitting on the sidewalk, walking down the street or just sleeping somewhere... etc. I dont mean just physical harrasment, JUST ID/Name checking for no reason, just having a backpack on your back and being a traveler?

I have my entire face covered in tattoos, like my face is sleeved out and look like a criminal and never have had it happen(ID randomly ran) but im curious if it has to others on a consistent basis...?

soapybum

Reaction score
You're not required to give the cop any info like that unles you're being detained. If they ask for it just ask if you're being detained or arrested and why.

mj27

Reaction score
but they will ask. a lot. if you've got a back pack they want to know who u are. i've been reading a book in a public park and was given hell. of course they cant do anything if your not doing anything. but it does seem cops always have the 'law' on their side regardless.

Reactions: Coywolf

Unslap

Reaction score
Ten. But i dont look very suspicious. Alsoo this doesnt include provoked id scans (wAlking on freeway, sleeping in parks)

Reactions: Coywolf

shiftingGEARS

Reaction score
I would say avoid the fuzz as much as possible, you never know how many sticks are up a cops ass on any given day. When sleeping find a secluded area to do so. i hear that talking to cops nice works in your favor sometimes, but i try not to consort with those types of people.

P

Pheonix

Exactly. So how often do you get it run lets say you are on the road 90 percent of the year, how many times would it happen or happends to you?

Depends on the environment you put yourself in and how you blend into it. The question you need to be asking is how do I prevent cops from noticing me?

soapybum

Reaction score
I always ask cops if i'm being detained and inform them that if I'm not than they have no legal right to ask for my ID. It all depends on how you present yourself and how you talk to them. I've looked crusty as fuck, jacket w/ an Anti-Cop patch on (it was a band from kentucky I saw) and have had cops say "okay, well you have a nice day sir" and they walk away. Know your rights and ask for thier badge number etc if they start harrassing you.

Reactions: zeevanlife

Hobo Huck

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
If you're hitchhiking, or bumming around, especially with a backpack, you can guarantee that you will be stopped time from time, and nearly every time asked for your ID. If you wanna be just as big a dick as they are, you can refuse to cooperate...in which case theyll be even bigger dicks, andyou'll be tossed in the back of the car and driven down to the jail to get fingerprinted and scanned for any warrants.

Bro, you're going to have people tell you crap like "don't be a wuss, stand up for your rights and tell the cops they have no reason to harass you"' but dude that's just a bunch of talk and everyone here knows how it really goes down. You will also have your bags checked out as well...you can of course refuse to give them your bag, in which case they'll tell you they smell marijuana and now they have reasonable cause to search without a warrant. If you want to fight them, they'll fight back harder, and you either go to jail, get your ass kicked, or both.

If you're going to be hitchhiking or sleeping in parks, you better stash anything illegal you have. When I hitchhike, I always put my weed and my knife underneath a rock or some bushes about 15 feet away from me. Same thing if I'm sleeping anywhere near downtown or in a local park.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

Hobo Huck

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
I always ask cops if i'm being detained and inform them that if I'm not than they have no legal right to ask for my ID. It all depends on how you present yourself and how you talk to them. I've looked crusty as fuck, jacket w/ an Anti-Cop patch on (it was a band from kentucky I saw) and have had cops say "okay, well you have a nice day sir" and they walk away. Know your rights and ask for thier badge number etc if they start harrassing you.

What the fck? Wow talk about complete fiction...that sounds like advice from someone that's never been on the road before. What cops are you encountering...the freaking canadian junior peace corp? The eagle scouts?

Hahaha good luck in Cali or Florida taking this bullcrap advice..not to mention worse places like Texas or Alabama. I've hitchhiked nearly every state on both coasts, and I honestly can't think of one state where anyone should follow this posters advice. Unless, of course, you want to piss a cop off.

I'm going to be laughing for the next hour at this fictional scenario:

Cop: Son, don't you know hitchhiking is illegal around here?
You: Oh sorry sir, I'm not from around here and I'm just trying get a ride to find some work in the next state.
Cop: Well you can't be hitchhiking on my roads...I'm going to need to some identification.
You: You can't search or harass me just because I'm hitchhiking...I have constitutional rights and a kickass anti-cop patch.
Cop: Wow...well in that case, I must surrender to your boldness and accept your mastery of civil rights. Have a good day son, carry on.

LMFAO

tyler harmon

Reaction score
i dont get my I.D. ran much, only when i'm doing something stupid and/or against the law.

soapybum

Reaction score
That actually happened in florida dude. If you act like an oogle and talk like a stupid dumbfuck then yeah, stating your rights etc wont work. If you sound like an educated, knowledgable person and act polite then you shouldnt have to worry all that much.

Jahjahbless

Reaction score
i think the trick is not to just say NO! but ask the question am i obliged to do so? then say am i free to go? the answer to the first question will probably be no and the second will be yes. then walk off.. unless you have broken the law there is a good doc called "how to never get busted again" made buy a cop who changed his view on everything after he tried weed.. its about not getting busted with weed but covers allot of what you need to know, so i hope it helps.. i know you wont have weed on you but it will help / make you feel better about it.

Reactions: JuliannaB

Hobo Huck

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Either your story is BS, or the cop you dealt with is an extremely rare cop, especially for Florida where they can be rather dickheadish towards hobos or bums. Either way, BS story or rare cop, that's still crappy advice to give to someone that's new to traveling. I've been a hardcore hobo for over 10 years, and your advice would have landed me in jail or a shitload more hitchhiking and possession tickets than I already have accumulated. Sorry, that's great advice in perhaps an ACLU brochue, but not on the real streets. Get real dude

Hobo Huck

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.reddit.com
Don't worry too much about warrants, unless they are really serious. I have about 10 bench warrants in as many states, and the cops really don't care as long as it isn't for a violent or really serious crime. Each state has their own crime database, and they don't link up during a normal ID scan unless you give them reason to do an entire background and warrant check on another database. What are your warrants for? There's a really good chance they don't even matter...

Reactions: Dmac

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads