Getting that musty smell out of stuff

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
Okay so my "new" pack came with the unpleasant stench of mold. Whoever sold it to Next Adventure let it sit in a damp basement for a year beforehand or something. I don't mind the smell of sweat or general grime but mildew can drive me crazy....
I've tried letting it sit in the sun for a while, but the sun comes and goes this time of year in Portland. My last attempt was dousing it in this enzyme stuff that I usually use for getting the cat piss smell out of carpets...it helped a little, but mostly just made it smell lemony and moldy.
Any good tricks for making it smell okay again?

john1158

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
has nothing to do with musty pack but Oxi Clean did wonders on our old brew bucket last night...the last person to use it had left it unwashed for about 3 months....it took away all the musty smell from that....i know you can use it on fabric but i have never have....just an idea....

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
It's alot easier if this is a backpack that can be put into a washing machine(external frame packs can't). I've used vinegar before for this problem and it's worked wonders. Get a cheap bottle of vinegar, take the backpack to a laundromat and stick it in a washer with a few tablespoons of the vinegar and regular laundry soap. Then dry it on high heat and it should get rid of the smell. Depending on how bad the mold is, it sometimes takes a second treatment. I hope that was a cheap backpack, if not you might consider just returning it. Good luck with the moldy backpack!

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
It's internal frame, and the frame's removable. I did try sticking it in the dryer for a bit, but the clacking sound of the straps was really unnerving so I pulled it out after like 5 mins. Might attempt the vinegar thing though...

stove

Reaction score
DONT stick it into a tumble dryer! That is a great way to crack those plastic buckles. The heat can also melt the fabric.

From experience, removing the frame and washing it like any thoroughly soiled garmet should work. Check the instructions for care on the tag or the net; a VERY small amount of bleach in warm soapy water CAN help, depending on the pack material. However, it could also dissolve the nylon of the pack if it's the wrong material.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I've removed that smell before, using a bucket and hot water and soap. Think of the old way of washing stuff, and you have the right idea. If you can get the water boiling hot (I'm 90 percent sure that it won't melt the fabric and straps) more power to you. The heat should kill off the mold, and the soap should remove the spores, but it'll take a few cycles to complete. A cycle would be hot water and soap, beat it up a bit, empty out the muddy water followed by a cold water rinse and drying.

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
success! Bath in that lemony enzyme cleaner stuff, dried by the heater. Now smells only faintly of mildew(not even noticeable unless you put your nose inside it and inhale like you're snorting a line), chiefly of lemon/limey gooness.

BWAHAHAHA

D

dirty_feet

You and your backpack will smell much worse when you're through with it, or while traveling - so I for one would welcome your new musty shell.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
DONT stick it into a tumble dryer! That is a great way to crack those plastic buckles. The heat can also melt the fabric.

I've put backpacks in dryers before and never had the buckles or fabric melt but maybe I've just been lucky. A drycleaner will also get rid of mold quick but is a bit spendy and you have to be in town long enough to wait and pick it up if you take it to one of those.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I think the buckles cracking had more to do with the crappy plastic that was used some years ago, which don't seem to be around so much in newer stuff. I remember a while ago, it was pretty common to have a buckle crack, but I haven't had that experience recently.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads