General Hawaii Information

East

Reaction score
Damn, thanks for the info botb man, good stuff. I'll keep this all in mind and try to head for Diamond Head after grabbing food stamps. I really wanted to head for Kauai instead because it's more rural and less of saturated with people but the plane ticket was twice as much so I decided against it. Good news that I can just roll over rice though and make money different ways and head to another island if things aren't workin out. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to roaming around looking for shells to make some dough, gotta do the research though like you said. I have a way to make money online as well so if worst comes to worst I'll just burn through some psychology surveys but it's about 25-40 a day but I'd rather pick up shells or do just about anything else tbh. In a few other threads people were talking about donating plasma, might be easy to find some lab rat spots on Oahu as well with the university nearby.

Heard a lot about the meth problem on the islands so I'm not too surprised that you mention it at all, not really looking forward to that kinda thing but I've had pretty good luck choosing who I trust in the past so I'll keep my eyes out. I personally just smoke some herb and drink occasionally nothing too hard, maybe shrooms or acid once in a blue moon but I gotta have a safe environment for that and be in the right mind. I'm definitely as white as they come so I'll probably get that aspect as well. Don't want to end up on the wrong beach. Either way it beats freezing to death out here, low of 14F tonight.

Speaking of stamps how much did you end up getting per month? I think I'm going to see how much I can get here before I leave but pretty sure it won't be as much. Problem is if I've only been getting stamps here for a few weeks before I leave that's kinda a red flag I haven't been around long enough to qualify in Hawaii, if I update/cancel them. I might just turn em down here if they're way less. Ohio stamps also have work requirements so I'm wondering if Hawaii does as well, I can't stand that honestly I have an SSI application filed so they should waive it.

I'll keep in touch when I get there for sure if you wanna throw me some spots or somethin without blowing anything up there's always PM too. Thanks man

birdsonthebat

Reaction score
It's close to 300 and it won't go far. The food stamp thing is easy. You'll get the full amount and it's a no questions asked kinda thing. They want you to have them. It's federal money and you're gonna spend it there. Resources are mostly scarce on the islands. Once you get there flying between islands is, IMO, cheap. I flew between four for less than 300 and gas is cheaper now than it was. Air travel is one of the few things that seemed to be less expensive when everything else seemed soooo Fucking expensive.

Hey white/pink mothetfuckers like us stand out in the tropics. I totally feel your pain as a fellow white man. We're misunderstood and a dying breed but, yeh, I feel ya. White as they get ya say? I'm sure it's hardly noticeable in the dark. I can tell you all the places I stayed, squatted killed Fucking time at if you care to hear. You got alot ahead of you my friend. Industrious people always find a way and island life is a fantastic one.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The only real way you're going to be able to do that is probably go to Los Angeles or San Diego (the bay area is a possibility as well) and go ask around the sailing communities there. There are also a few websites, try searching for "crewing on a boat on google" there are a few sites where folks advertise their need for deck hang

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
... Oops. Deck hands. But really, it's not expensive to fly there, and the amount of time you would be investing it would be cheaper to fly (one way can be as low as 200 dollars).

Of course if you want to do it (crew on a boat) just for the experience I'd say go for it.

Reactions: dprogram

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
Trash barge of course!
A dude on the bus was telling me the other day about this. He said that if you go to the Bay Area you can buy your way onto an empty trash barge for about $50. He said that you have to bring your own food and water and that it smells like garbage (as you'd imagine) though. Don't know how common it is, but it might be worth looking into.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
A dude on the bus was telling me the other day about this. He said that if you go to the Bay Area you can buy your way onto an empty trash barge for about $50. He said that you have to bring your own food and water and that it smells like garbage (as you'd imagine) though. Don't know how common it is, but it might be worth looking into.

i think trusting your journey to a mysterious stranger down by the docks is a good way to never be seen again.

Dmac

Reaction score
how can you go wrong taking the advice of a shadowy stranger, be it on a bus, by the docks or in a dark ally?

thomas mccoy

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
all ideas are new and welcomed by me.. i have heard similar things.. ill have to look a bit harder for a plane though as i would deffinately commit to staying for a while.. but the garbage boat sound like a hell of a story i could tell someone..

P

pigpen

For years I heard people say "oh yeah, I've met someone who said they took a trash barge to Hawaii for a small fee" but no one who had done it first hand. Then last year I was in the bay and I met a girl who said she had done it five years ago, but that for some reason it could no longer be done.

But if you're interested in flying, folks have told me that Oregon and Hawaii are sister states, so Portland might be your best bet. I had enough cash to do it after trimming last year but you need an ID to fly so me and my partner would both need to get one, and the fake service tags I had at the time worked for city buses and fung-wah and shit but wouldn't hold up to TSA scrutiny.

Also I've heard people talk about hitching rides on private leisure vessels under the agreement that they help out or pitch in some cash along the way.

birdsonthebat

Reaction score
It's just my opinion but if Hawaii had a sister state it would be Alaska. Can't imagine how Oregon would even qualify as a distant cousin but whatever.
To me it seems pretty reasonable that the great state of californication doesn't open it's Ports to other peoples trash.
Does any state in the union import trash? Which one (s)?
Just an observation but the Hawaiians live in a very modern society accustomed to the latest uses of technology and it's just a guess on my part but I'd bet the great state of Hawaii incinerates the bulk of it's refuse and either dumps it at open sea or they send it to the Philippines where their is no such thing as trash.

And...perhaps you could find a private vessel to hitch on. Perhaps. It seems likely that someone with a multi million dollar ocean going vessel prolly has friends or a few extra million laying about that they could easily just hire someone to either be their friend or employee. Maybe both?

I'm a child of the cold war. I'm skeptical. About everything. It's fun to spread urban myths. I know. I prefer initiating the myth (s) as to repeating it.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
apparently my uncle says that the importation of trash on a trash barge was something they were talking about doing a couple years back. they were gonna start shipping it to washington. but they are not doing that anymore. All our trash on Oahu is either incinerated and turned into energy here, or it's taken out to and buried at the Waimanalo Landfill on the westside.

K

Kim Chee

...back on subject.

I spent $280 for airfare a few years back to get there from the west coast and it was a good deal. I'm sure that there are other ways to get there, but being on a boat with stranger(s) for several days sounds like there is possibility of a swimmer. I saved some cash...and went.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Oregon is a sister state, because of the huge amount of Hawaiian students there. This is also why you find cheap flights. The best season is at the beginning of summer holidays, where you will find cheap one way flights marketed at students returning home. Can find them as low as 100$. Im from Oregon, and have loads of Hawaiian university friends, I never made the trip myself, but I know for a fact that it is cheap.
And if the trash barge doesnt work out, you should try the pineapple express.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
okok... totally gonna ruin the joke here...
For sure if you search through the forums here, or google it, you will find some info on the pineapple express (not the movie).
This has been a long time ongoing "myth" or joke or something, I guess it depends on how much you know already.
Its something like the trash barge.
"You know, Dole built tunnel that goes from SoCal to Hawaii, for importing pineapples to the mainland?"
Yeah man, you can totally hop that train, then onto a half full trash barge which stops in Japan to finish filling, and continues on to China, where they dump the trash....
usually, when it sounds too good to be true...

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
The funniest part is that there has been countless debates, and people trying to support the idea that they "totally met a guy who did this", or their unlce works on the barge or what the fuck ever.... The end reality of it is though, even if it did exist, you (nothing personal) have no chance of catching a ride. There are indeed big cargo ships heading to and from Hawaii, and you might have been able to work on them before, but many have now turned to Low budget cruise line (which is still fucking expensive), and if they havent, insurance policies have made it impossible to take non licensed passengers.
There is no train line, thats ridiculous.
There may actually be a trash barge somewhere (someone on here posted an article about one in washington?), but a), you cannot ride it for free, b)if you could ride it, it would still be cheaper to fly and most importantly c) you probably cannot ride it at all.
Nice for someone to refresh an old topic of debate, and hate to destroy your dream, but the free ride to Hawaii doesnt exist..

I totally have this plan though, for my free ride...
I have never been to Hawaii, but I know some people who live there. I am in Europe for a few years now, and if I ever get deported, Ima try to say I live in there (and have "room mates" to confirm). Probably I just end up in JFK, then Prison, but hey, its worth a shot...
You could try something like this from Mexico?

Dmac

Reaction score
all large cargo ships used to have a few (up to 12-15) passenger cabins that were low priced. 9-11 probably did them in. in fact, I just did a Google search and it is still going on and much cheaper than air fair or cruse ship. it is a lot more boring than a cruse ship, but if you just want to get from a to b, check it out. I did not check out about going west coast to Hawaii, first stuff that pops up is about U.S. to Europe. Worth looking into is you are interested in overseas travel.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads