Free Bike Parts!

The Cheshire

Reaction score
Performance bikes are sadly spread all across America, and I suggest you get all your bike shit for free. Having once been employed as a mechanic with them, I can tell you in total confidence that there are absolutely no security cameras in any stores outside of N. Carolina and California. If you see them, theyre drones. Fakes. Performance felt like it was to spendy and wouldnt help, so they DONT USE THEM. Your absolute best bet is to find one close to you that has "metal detectors". Those paralel plastic obelisks are for show, and usually just monitor how many people walk in and out (if they do anything at all). Reason being the talking heads feel that just by placing those devices you wont steal, and therefor have no other security features in place. Best thing about it all? Performance COMPANY WIDE has an absolute no way never ever chase someone whos got some shit and makes a break for it. They will not (can not)chase you, no matter what you take if you run. Guaranteed. As with most bike shops (dont burgle you LBS though) they have alot of blind spots, and changing rooms. Easy place to get some new gear. Youll never be searched if your caught(though they will call the cops), and if you are run! They also have a huge problem with internal theft (37% of losses internally as apposed to 18% externally ie you!)Numbers from 2009 employee handbook... So employees are even less likely to give a shit if they actually catch you. Not sayin you wont run into some self-rightous defender of the great corporate made-in-china bike shop but fuck em, if they knew any better they wouldnt work for performance!

I havent worked for them for a handful of months wich might mean shit has changed. I just re-read the old safety manuals and whatnot, checked with past co-workers and as far as I know this is still good.

The U District store in Seattle... Almost too easy. There is a door facing East onto Roosevelt near the Trader Joes and three doors facing south onto 45th. Two of wich are sliders that you can ride right into the store through. Your best bet at this store is clothing, as the exit is right next to the changing rooms. Go ahead and get some new raingear, the Pearl Izumi stuff is quality!

The Lynnwood (N Seattle) store has one entrance facing SE onto Alderwood Mall BLVD and is easy pickens for anything you need. Changing rooms are in the back, and always unlocked so dont bother askin for the key dummy. This store has a HUGE selection of folding tires wich are always worth grabbing. Take a small pack, and have a field day this store is really, really lax. Also a good dumspter behind the "French Bakery" next door.

Redmond, WA store is a little rougher because theres a big empty stretch between the aisles and the front door. This might be where you implement the "do not chase" concept. This store has a very large selection of components (ie Cranks, stems, derraluers, tubes) all the small shit that makes it happen. The cases are wooden and located againts the W wall, and almost always unlocked. If not, ask someone to see something, and then contemplate. Most likely they will wander off just long enough to grab some shit from the case, and then give back the display. Again, employees have nothing to gain by turning you in because they're stelain shit too.

Good luck!

sprout

Reaction score
Is there anything someone without a bike would want?

I like traveling with a lot of my cycling clothing (i.e. padded fingerless cycling gloves, lycra bike shorts, etc...).
Other than that, they have tools such as wrenches and allen keys, never know when that may be helpful, and also, nutrition bars.

The Cheshire

Reaction score
I highly recomend the rain gear, although alot if it is flourescent for visability. Its good because most of them have longer tails, for when riding to keep your ass dry when bent over. Lots of god close fitting tech fleece stuff for layering, and tons of nutrition bars (clif, power ect.) Easy spot to nab some multi tools as well, swiss army type stuff.

Sprout nailed it with the gloves, I always have a pair of Dakine bike gloves with me!

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
There are nice bike lights (not the flashers) which will double as good handhelds. I was wondering why one of those stores only had those domes on one side of the store, anyone could just go and take whatever item to the other side of the store to steal it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads