FL appreciation post (Stockholm syndrome) | Squat the Planet

FL appreciation post (Stockholm syndrome)

croc

Reaction score
I know why yall hate it here but FL really does possess a tremendous amount of beauty.

Today (in FEBRUARY) I went to the beach, enjoyed the sun, n swam in a pool while it was in the 70s. Surrounded by green grass, singing birds, trees for shade, lizards, n friendly folks.
I really think FL winters are fucking great. It's never too cold, the grass is always green, the trees always have leaves, the sun is always out more days than not, no snow to shovel, not much rain, don't need to buy special clothes, there are nature trails and preserves EVERYWHERE, great birdwatching, lots of insects to learn about, many types of lizards, rad wildlife in general, lots of wild growing herbs and roots and weeds etc, and generally people are pretty friendly. Also boiled muhfuckin peanuts at most gas stations!!

Sure, we have ants that will bite the fuck out of u... And mosquitos that leave u itchy for days... But honestly if u can avoid the ants and camp away from bodies of water, the mosquitos ain't too bad.

The further south u go, the more it sucks (especially people wise in my opinion), but central and northern FL are quite lovely.

Anyway, comment some shit u specifically love or hate about Florida? Feel free to totally rip on it, just know you're wrong and that I'm sleeping comfortably in 70° weather tonight with clear skies and waking up to a sunrise on the beach

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
https://www.aclufl.org/en/news/florida-needs-homeless-bill-rights

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-exacerbate-concerns-about-voter-suppression/

http://www.wlrn.org/post/list-south-floridas-regulations-homelessness

Those are just a small portion of the ridiculous laws in Florida....not even to mention hanging chads....

But yes, I get that the state is wonderful year round, has beautiful things to see, but politically and socially it is one of the worst states in the country. I dont like talking shit about the state, but until people start to boycott the leadership in FL, they will continue to trample on human rights, and be a staple of benefitting the ultra rich without consequence.

D

Deleted member 23824

A guy once told me “All the dreggs of the South eventually make their way to Florida.”

I don’t know that for sure, but every time I read the weirdest, and most depraved stories, I immediately figure in my mind : “Florida”.

I seem to be correct far more often than not.

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
But I saw this guy here today...
20190216_140614.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: croc and Coywolf

BardoBard

Reaction score
Florida's no weirder than Cali, TX, NY or really anywhere else with a large population.

Used to go swimming around Ft.Lauderdale beach this time of year, one of the best states in the US for boating, top of the line athletics scene (from numerous NFL players to cage fighters and bodybuilders) lot of festivals and amusement parks, cant beat the culinary options or fine ass latina women.

Not my favorite state but its nowhere near the bottom.

* This post has been found to cause cancer in the state of California.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Florida's no weirder than Cali, TX, NY or really anywhere else with a large population.

Used to go swimming around Ft.Lauderdale beach this time of year, one of the best states in the US for boating, top of the line athletics scene (from numerous NFL players to cage fighters and bodybuilders) lot of festivals and amusement parks, cant beat the culinary options or fine ass latina women.

Not my favorite state but its nowhere near the bottom.

* This post has been found to cause cancer in the state of California.

*shakes head vigorously*

I disagree....

And it has nothing to do with the states natural beauty. Only with the humans that have fucked it up.

Short

Reaction score
It’s a beautiful state, but in my opinion meant to be enjoyed with money (not to say it can’t be). With that said, FEC Runs pretty damn close to their schedule, and it’s a beautiful ride all the way down the coast.

croc

Reaction score
It’s pronounced flawda... it’s a beautiful state filled with the flush part of a toilet for humans, myself included.
Glad you enjoyed yourself, where’d you stay in central?
I lived in FL for 23 years and have been to many places all over the state. For central FL in specific, I've mostly been in Orlando/winter park/a few other springs in those areas.

croc

Reaction score
A guy once told me “All the dreggs of the South eventually make their way to Florida.”

I don’t know that for sure, but every time I read the weirdest, and most depraved stories, I immediately figure in my mind : “Florida”.

I seem to be correct far more often than not.
My guess is that being a result of a few things including how popular drugs like krokodil, flakka, bath salts, then all the other normal drugs u see elsewhere on top of it are, the heat can make people insane, and also people now eat up "Florida man" articles like Florida men eat up faces. Gotta write up what will sell/be clicked on

Reactions: BardoBard

croc

Reaction score
https://www.aclufl.org/en/news/florida-needs-homeless-bill-rights

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-exacerbate-concerns-about-voter-suppression/

http://www.wlrn.org/post/list-south-floridas-regulations-homelessness

Those are just a small portion of the ridiculous laws in Florida....not even to mention hanging chads....

But yes, I get that the state is wonderful year round, has beautiful things to see, but politically and socially it is one of the worst states in the country. I dont like talking shit about the state, but until people start to boycott the leadership in FL, they will continue to trample on human rights, and be a staple of benefitting the ultra rich without consequence.
Oh dude, anything south of Indian River County on the east coast has nearly no redeeming qualities other than sometimes the music scene is real active. Broward and Miami are hellish places to be homeless and fnb has been arrested for feeding there. And the heat alone drives people literally insane. I think that's why they have some of the craziest home bums I've seen. South FL is straight up not inhabitable outdoors in the summer.
But the treatment of and oppression of homeless people doesn't extend thru the entire state. Spare Broward n Miami Dade I haven't seen any worse treatment or resources in FL than other places I've traveled to.
(I'm really stoked that people started talking about a homelessness bill of rights for FL and sad to see it seems to have haulted in late 2016)

Last edited:

Maki40

Reaction score
I'm traveling Florida now too and love it. I'm in Sarasota now and the weather is perfect... like 80s and 60s at night. While I read stories of the polar vortex, I was enjoy 70 degree weather.
The wildlife is awesome here too. Theres so many crazy looking birds and pretty much every kind of animal lives here along with great fishing. You have beaches, lakes, rivers, swamps, and plenty of places to get away and hide.
Yes, law enforement are assholes here, but where aren't they assholes?
As far as bugs, You definitely need a bug net or tent. The bugs aren't bad during the day. They only come out at night. And theres plenty of places, mostly in the city or town, where the bugs aren't bad at all.
This is my second winter coming to Florida and think I'll just come back every winter cause there really isn't any better place in the US this time of year.

Muffin Mouth

Reaction score
When I hear people talk about how one region is better than another it often sounds like something akin to nationalism. At times being in Florida I long for the days I was somewhere else. I remember times and places where I felt surrounded by radicals not Trump supporters. I have chased those memories north south east and west. I honestly really wish I believed that things were better other places, but I don't. The last time I returned to the pacific northwest, where the trees can literally be tapped for the sweet sap of revolution, I felt my heartbreak when an honest assessment revealed that those places were just as mired in the same problems that plague the sunshine state. The fun of being somewhere rad is when joy destroys sorrow. The bigger the parade of oppression the more fun it is to piss upon.

D

Deleted member 125

When I hear people talk about how one region is better than another it often sounds like something akin to nationalism. At times being in Florida I long for the days I was somewhere else. I remember times and places where I felt surrounded by radicals not Trump supporters. I have chased those memories north south east and west. I honestly really wish I believed that things were better other places, but I don't. The last time I returned to the pacific northwest, where the trees can literally be tapped for the sweet sap of revolution, I felt my heartbreak when an honest assessment revealed that those places were just as mired in the same problems that plague the sunshine state. The fun of being somewhere rad is when joy destroys sorrow. The bigger the parade of oppression the more fun it is to piss upon.

Nope. Florida just sucks and it sounds like yer hanging out with bummer people everywhere else your been too.

Reaction score
I lived in FL for 23 years and have been to many places all over the state. For central FL in specific, I've mostly been in Orlando/winter park/a few other springs in those areas.
Dude I’m born and raised in Orlando! I used to stay in the universal area, then off semeron, and tbh everywhere else in that city lol I love Florida

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads