FL appreciation post (Stockholm syndrome)

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
...Oregon is like KKK central so idk where you're getting Oregon confused with a progressive state xD

I agree with you about Oregon previously being a haven for racism.

However, If you have been there recently, you would know that state has taken a hard 180 from its white nationalism past.....as Florida has not, And continues to harbor racist leaders. Along with MS, and AL.

However, I would love to open up a second discussion of how POC and LGBTQ travelers have had their own experiences in Oregon that have been negative.

It would be a great discussion, as I know Salem, Albany, Rural OR, and even Portland have had their fair share of BS concerning houselessness.

Point well taken.

Reactions: croc

Muffin Mouth

Reaction score
So....relating to nationalism.

Florida passes obvious bigoted laws, and fascism. Where at the states I listed do the complete opposite.

Sorry, @BardoBard , but yer going to have to back up your arguement with actual facts to sway anyone's opinions against FL.

Florida is like the definition of a nationalist's haven. Donald Fucking Trump resides there.

Also, last time I heard anything about florida.......Pulse nightclub...

Muffin Mouth

Reaction score
Florida has a terrible history of horrible shit. It also has a rich history of resistance to oppression. Just because a place is not winning progressive campaigns doesn't mean it is not worth while to continue to struggle for change there. Oregon and Colorado have very different histories of voter suppression than places in the south. Five million Florida voters just won amendment 4. This will effectively restore voting rights to 1.5 million formally disenfranchised Floridians (ten percent of the states voting population). If you have been watching the recent elections in the south its easy to see how consequential those votes may be. There are other smaller more localized victories in Florida worth celebrating such as Alachua county just severing its contracts with prison labor. Its an uphill battle here. If people don't wanna come here, I totally get it, I don't blame them, I understand. Little sentiments of solidarity, however, could go a long way.

Reactions: croc
D

Deleted member 125

Florida has a terrible history of horrible shit. It also has a rich history of resistance to oppression. Just because a place is not winning progressive campaigns doesn't mean it is not worth while to continue to struggle for change there. Oregon and Colorado have very different histories of voter suppression than places in the south. Five million Florida voters just won amendment 4. This will effectively restore voting rights to 1.5 million formally disenfranchised Floridians (ten percent of the states voting population). If you have been watching the recent elections in the south its easy to see how consequential those votes may be. There are other smaller more localized victories in Florida worth celebrating such as Alachua county just severing its contracts with prison labor. Its an uphill battle here. If people don't wanna come here, I totally get it, I don't blame them, I understand. Little sentiments of solidarity, however, could go a long way.

Do you think it's possible, that maybe just maybe yer taking this topic a little more serious then other folks given the context of this thread?

Muffin Mouth

Reaction score
Do you think it's possible, that maybe just maybe yer taking this topic a little more serious then other folks given the context of this thread?

That is possible. I just joined stp, and I have no idea how serious people are or who is joking and who is not. My only intention of joining was to be helpful.

This news story illustrates how messed up Florida is, but also might remind some people how passionate and courageous kids here can be even when faced with overwhelming oppression.
They take this shit seriously, maybe we should too.

Vance Lee

Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
I'm a Native so I guess that helps - especially with the heat, even at my age I can handle that just fine. The Police, all over the State are so used to me, they have grown bored with running my ID and other things they play around with. Unlike Croc, I find that Martin County is the further South I can go and feel at ease. Have a good day everyone, I got to put my short shorts on :D

Vance Lee

Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
That is possible. I just joined stp, and I have no idea how serious people are or who is joking and who is not. My only intention of joining was to be helpful.

This news story illustrates how messed up Florida is, but also might remind some people how passionate and courageous kids here can be even when faced with overwhelming oppression.
They take this shit seriously, maybe we should too.
WOw, if they arrested students for disrupting classes when I was in school, I would've spent my young years in prison lol, wtf?

Reactions: roughdraft

Vance Lee

Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
@croc @Vance Lee

which is the absolute best city in Florida? as in...300,000 +++ people...assume the person asking has not spent a significant amount of time in the state
I can't advise on that. I am a small town guy all the way. It is the hustle bustle I try to avoid. Hard enough staying alive on my bicycle through the small towns without effing with the cities lol. I have never had any trouble anywhere actually. But then again, I don't go looking for it either. I call Sebastian home base for now. It is quite quaint and I make good $ working the small clubs here. When I need something Sebastian can't provide, I go up to Melbourne or down to Vero Beach. Our life style is easier in my opinion in the smaller communities.

Reactions: roughdraft

BardoBard

Reaction score
FL has a pretty shitty music scene all around, outside of EDM and S American music.

Ft.Lauderdale area is probably my favorite, much further north mine as well be part of Georgia... but yeah hitching in S Florida isnt advisable

roughdraft

Reaction score
FL has a pretty shitty music scene all around, outside of EDM and S American music.

Ft.Lauderdale area is probably my favorite, much further north mine as well be part of Georgia... but yeah hitching in S Florida isnt advisable

word thanks man

so what do you like about ft. lauderdale vs elsewhere, what stands out?

BardoBard

Reaction score
Miami is too big and stratified (ghetto / rich), and Orlando is too far from Miami. Ft. Lauderdale is right in the middle, you have access to everything, traffic can be avoided, a little slower pace than Miami itself.

The rest of the state is another story altogether, different world and Im less familiar with it.

croc

Reaction score
true

i hear Miami is basically a Spanish speaking city so i fuk with that personally

uhhhhh..... is there anywhere that has a better music scene than Miami?

It depends on the genre and if u mean diy music scene or not.
The diy music scenes in FL fluctuate quite a bit. I think a big part of it is bc we don't have basements. And basement shows seem to really help keep diy scenes alive.
Our diy venues are more often than not just storage units or warehouses. They typically are short lived and get shut down or run out of money to keep it going. House shows seem far and few between these days. Noise ordinances, old people and shit I guess?
A couple years ago, I used to regularly attend metal/hardcore/etc shows in South FL like in ft Lauderdale and Miami. That scene was WILD and super involved n supportive. People got the fuck down at shows and it was tons of fun. That scene seems to have changed but still alive?
Tampa used to have an active music scene when I lived there but that kinda died.
Panama city had a wicked active scene until the hurricane that just rolled thru destroyed everyone's homes and lives...

If u have fb, I recommend joining groups for whatever area you're in or on your way to.

@croc @Vance Lee

which is the absolute best city in Florida? as in...300,000 +++ people...assume the person asking has not spent a significant amount of time in the state

As for what's the "best" part of FL in my opinion (and like anywhere else, my fav parts might be someone else's least favorite and vice versa), I guess it depends what you're looking for. If u like busy city life, clubs, and have money to spend, I guess Miami. And yeah, there's a huge huge huge latinx population in Miami and u probably wouldn't have to speak English there if u didn't want. But also my experience in Miami is either you're rich or poor and I don't think there's much being offered there if u aren't rich.

If u like springs, centeral FL near Orlando is chalk full of em and dang are they beautiful. Lots of lovely swamps too. Also, central FL has some abandoned theme parks. Silver springs is beautiful afff.

If u like being at big beaches with white sand and calm waters, west coast like around st Pete. St Pete has a cool art scene too.

Tampa is right next to st Pete and I really enjoyed living there/visit often. It's a city with a small town vibe. Taco bus is DANK. If it hasn't changed, they have the Rocky horror picture show every Saturday. Lettuce lake park is one of my favorite parks. Ybor is rad and busking friendly (stay on the red bricks, they're private property)

Places on the east coast near Indian River County have my favorite beaches in the state bc u can find places to be alone, or damn close to it, most days of the week. The atlantic has more character than the gulf imo.

Just west of Indian River County on Sr 60 (which connects vero beach to Tampa) there's fort drum marshland preserve and its one of my favorite nature destinations in the area. Lots of deer, gators, etc to be seen here.
And in the central southern part of the state near Okeechobee there's an annual swamp cabbage festival! Super weird/cool Florida cracker tradition! (and if you're into frog legs, there's a frog leg festival in fellsmere ((Indian River County)) annually!)

St Augustine is gorgeous and the feed on bridge st is RAD.

And in that same area... I've grown to really enjoy Cracksonville. They've got a good handful of feeds, the skyway is free, seems like there might be active music scenes there? Shanty town is a cool punk lookin dive there. 5 points has more chill bums than downtown so we seemed to be more welcome there. Also, fun fact! Jacksonville is the largest city in the US (area wise)!

Tetsuden

Smearing jam on my pants like a real crustie
Reaction score
Website
toseekandsave.tumblr.com
being able to garden practically all year long is a major plus. you find quaint little farmers markets and fruitstands all over the lower half of the state, and ybor is precious gem of an area

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads