FL appreciation post (Stockholm syndrome)

BardoBard

Reaction score
My guess is that being a result of a few things including how popular drugs like krokodil, flakka, bath salts, then all the other normal drugs u see elsewhere on top of it are, the heat can make people insane, and also people now eat up "Florida man" articles like Florida men eat up faces. Gotta write up what will sell/be clicked on

"Florida is so crazy" is a tired meme, mostly repeated by people who spent little or no time out there.

Muffin Mouth

Reaction score
Whats u

I hangout with wonderful people everywhere I go. Yes, Florida is problematic, but so is a sense of regional supremacy when it undermines the struggles of those outside ones particular radical enclave.

When you say "Florida just sucks", does that mean that the place you are does not have the same problems? Is there no problem with racism, poverty, gentrification, or environmental destruction where you are? Does it make you feel a little bit better when you try to quantify how much worse it is somewhere else? Is doing so easier than confronting the real bullshit that surrounds you? Suggesting that misfit travelers not come to Florida because it is not welcoming is just echoing the message of Florida's authority figures. I am sure they would be happy to have your collaboration of keeping ragamuffins out of their state. I feel truly bad for you that you don't know the plethora of beautiful and rad people who are struggling in so many beautiful and rad ways here. You are not better than them and the place you are is not better than this - I hope one day you understand that and we can know each other and the spaces we occupy as equals.

D

Deleted member 125

When you say "Florida just sucks", does that mean that the place you are does not have the same problems? Is there no problem with racism, poverty, gentrification, or environmental destruction where you are? Does it make you feel a little bit better when you try to quantify how much worse it is somewhere else? Is doing so easier than confronting the real bullshit that surrounds you? Suggesting that misfit travelers not come to Florida because it is not welcoming is just echoing the message of Florida's authority figures. I am sure they would be happy to have your collaboration of keeping ragamuffins out of their state. I feel truly bad for you that you don't know the plethora of beautiful and rad people who are struggling in so many beautiful and rad ways here. You are not better than them and the place you are is not better than this - I hope one day you understand that and we can know each other and the spaces we occupy as equals.

Yea um, I'm from Florida. I grew up there and have spent over 20 years there. Florida sucks. And yer right, I'm not better then "them" but the place I am sure as shit is better then florida. I'm terribly sorry if my "regional supremacy" offended you.

Welcome to stp by the way, I hope to not upset you further with my opinion on curly fries being superior to waffle fries.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
When I hear people talk about how one region is better than another it often sounds like something akin to nationalism. At times being in Florida I long for the days I was somewhere else. I remember times and places where I felt surrounded by radicals not Trump supporters. I have chased those memories north south east and west. I honestly really wish I believed that things were better other places, but I don't. The last time I returned to the pacific northwest, where the trees can literally be tapped for the sweet sap of revolution, I felt my heartbreak when an honest assessment revealed that those places were just as mired in the same problems that plague the sunshine state. The fun of being somewhere rad is when joy destroys sorrow. The bigger the parade of oppression the more fun it is to piss upon.

Ya, sorry, but no.

I can say with 100% certainty that Colorado and Oregon do not have the same problems as florida. The literal only thing I find "wrong" with them is the cold and rain.

croc

Reaction score
How stoned were you when you wrote this?

XD I I posted this and turned to Jay and said "let's see when slanky chimes in"

... And how high I MAY OR MAY NOT have been is irrelevant...

• Haha
Reactions: Koala

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
A guy once told me “All the dreggs of the South eventually make their way to Florida.”

I don’t know that for sure, but every time I read the weirdest, and most depraved stories, I immediately figure in my mind : “Florida”.

I seem to be correct far more often than not.

There is a radio show out of Seattle on 102.5 KZOK called The Danny Bonnaduce and Sarah show. They always do a little segment called the "Oh Florida" news. Pretty entertaining

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Fuck Florida! The cops suck ass! The laws suck ass! It's full of rich old wrinkled bronze-tanned retirees lounging by their condo pools and a lot of racist, homophobic southern hicks who like to fight to prove how macho they are. The traffic sucks ass! Hitchhiking sucks ass! The weather is hot and muggy any other time of the year than winter. Even the weed there sucks. With the exception of a couple places, that whole state can suck my dick. I was born there and only reason I'd go back is to visit family.
Oh dude, anything south of Indian River County on the east coast has nearly no redeeming qualities other than sometimes the music scene is real active.
I dunno. The keys aren't bad. Key West is a pretty funky town.

roughdraft

Reaction score
Ya, sorry, but no.

I can say with 100% certainty that Colorado and Oregon do not have the same problems as florida. The literal only thing I find "wrong" with them is the cold and rain.

Colorado and Oregon, no, well at least like a third of each state...

Most of the USA? and the world?? yes

i feel like there should be a book of poetry or an artist dedicating their discography on how shite Florida is...kinda like how all of Bright Eyes' (aka Connor Oberst) music is about how shite California is..

Muffin Mouth

Reaction score
Yea um, I'm from Florida. I grew up there and have spent over 20 years there. Florida sucks. And yer right, I'm not better then "them" but the place I am sure as shit is better then florida. I'm terribly sorry if my "regional supremacy" offended you.

Welcome to stp by the way, I hope to not upset you further with my opinion on curly fries being superior to waffle fries.

When I hear people talk about how one region (or place) is better than another it often sounds like something akin to nationalism. If you ask a nationalist how their place in the world stacks up to some place else they will undoubtedly say something very much along the lines of "the country I am in is sure as shit is better than ______ (enter county name)". They will often justify this sentiment by talking about laws or freedoms they feel their particular place bestows upon them in comparison to the repression of other places.

Muffin Mouth

Reaction score
Colorado and Oregon, no, well at least like a third of each state...

Most of the USA? and the world?? yes

i feel like there should be a book of poetry or an artist dedicating their discography on how shite Florida is...kinda like how all of Bright Eyes' (aka Connor Oberst) music is about how shite California is..

Last time I was Portland Oregon a racist killed two men with a hunting knife on public transportation for standing up to him while he threatened two women of color. Don't fool yourself into thinking them west coast hubs are immune to what ails us down south.

• Agree
Reactions: roughdraft and croc

Muffin Mouth

Reaction score
Last time I was Portland Oregon a racist killed two men with a hunting knife on public transportation for standing up to him while he threatened two women of color. Don't fool yourself into thinking them west coast hubs are immune to what ails us down south.

And yeah I think a book of poetry about all the shit wrong with Florida would be really cool.

Reactions: roughdraft and croc

Muffin Mouth

Reaction score
Ya, sorry, but no.

Last time I was Portland Oregon a racist killed two men with a hunting knife on public transportation for standing up to him while he threatened two women of color. Don't fool yourself into thinking them west coast hubs are immune to what ails us down south. You don't see the environmental degradation, the corruption, the gentrification? keep looking they are there.

D

Deleted member 125

When I hear people talk about how one region (or place) is better than another it often sounds like something akin to nationalism. If you ask a nationalist how their place in the world stacks up to some place else they will undoubtedly say something very much along the lines of "the country I am in is sure as shit is better than ______ (enter county name)". They will often justify this sentiment by talking about laws or freedoms they feel their particular place bestows upon them in comparison to the repression of other places.

This is a very intelligent thought. Thank you kindly for opening my eyes as to how not liking florida is very similar to nationalism. I can't wait to her yer thoughts on other important issues.

BardoBard

Reaction score
Simma down now

all-politicians-are-corru-veba-fox-news-minnesota-town-re-elects-3579976.png

• Haha
Reactions: croc

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
florida.png

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So....relating to nationalism.

Florida passes obvious bigoted laws, and fascism. Where at the states I listed do the complete opposite.

Sorry, @BardoBard , but yer going to have to back up your arguement with actual facts to sway anyone's opinions against FL.

Florida is like the definition of a nationalist's haven. Donald Fucking Trump resides there.

Also, last time I heard anything about florida.......Pulse nightclub...

croc

Reaction score
So....relating to nationalism.

Florida passes obvious bigoted laws, and fascism. Where at the states I listed do the complete opposite.

...Oregon is like KKK central so idk where you're getting Oregon confused with a progressive state xD

Muffin Mouth

Reaction score
This is a very intelligent thought. Thank you kindly for opening my eyes as to how not liking florida is very similar to nationalism. I can't wait to her yer thoughts on other important issues.
No problem SlankyLanky,
and thanks for the warm welcome to stp. I understand not liking a place (particularly the place where one is from) and I understand having a favorite place. These feelings are totally different than the kinda self righteous "my place is better than theirs" sentiments that do so little to further the connections between communities of resistance. I think its rad that you found a place you like better and that you were able to get out of a place that you perhaps felt stifled in. If you are ever down this way i would be happy to show you my favorite little places of respite from the incessant craziness of this state.

Reactions: roughdraft

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads