First post; guns y/n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Ya, the whole country ain't north cackalack buddy. I've had friends go to prison for guns they never physically touched. If you're really that insecure go nuts, but if you're actually on the road that gun is wwwaaayyy more likely to land you in prison than ever be used as protection.

Hudson

Reaction score
Please do not encourage people to travel with firearms on this site or any other site. That would be greatly appreciated. Im an Iraq war veteran and have not had any need to touch a firearm since I left the military. It is unnecessary to propagate that kind of information or argument on a website devoted to public travel. Nobody here travels with hate and fear in their hearts.

D

Deleted member 23824

If you legally carry, either concealed or open, in the state you currently are in, do you toss it as your train crosses into the next state, or that your ride transports you into? You might cross multiple states in a day, what then?

Stationary, carry gun to the extent allowed by law, traveling, not the best idea.

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
Ya, the whole country ain't north cackalack buddy. I've had friends go to prison for guns they never physically touched. If you're really that insecure go nuts, but if you're actually on the road that gun is wwwaaayyy more likely to land you in prison than ever be used as protection.
So you have friends that went to prison for being around a gun. Was that what the charge was for? Being around a gun? Did they have felonies or something?

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
Please do not encourage people to travel with firearms on this site or any other site. That would be greatly appreciated. Im an Iraq war veteran and have not had any need to touch a firearm since I left the military. It is unnecessary to propagate that kind of information or argument on a website devoted to public travel. Nobody here travels with hate and fear in their hearts.
I haven't done any encouraging. The person asked a question and I gave my answer. Please don't try to tell me what I can and can't say. What was your job detail In the military? Just curious.

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
If you legally carry, either concealed or open, in the state you currently are in, do you toss it as your train crosses into the next state, or that your ride transports you into? You might cross multiple states in a day, what then?

Stationary, carry gun to the extent allowed by law, traveling, not the best idea.
I would assume if you are train hopping you're already at risk of going to jail.

D

Deleted member 23824

That is a very helpful synopsis, but is really for traveling by car. It does not really specifically address the way most here travel, which seems to be a combination of hitchhiking, freight hopping, bicycle, mixed with bussing it, occasional air flights. This really complicates things, so that any one-size-fits-all strategy is out the window for most travelers here.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Even in a vehicle locked up what if that shit gets stolen, used and tossed and the cops trace it back to you? If they can't find you locally they'll try to summons you at your last registered address. If you're not there cause your off living in your van somewhere and no one gives you a heads up you will in short order have a serious warrant out that you won't know about. Now whenever you drive a by a cop you risk getting pulled over and arrested for running on gun charges. If they don't have a good suspect for whoever did whatever crime your piece was used in guess who's gonna be their new #1 suspect. You. Even if you reported it stolen the day it disappeared that's no guarantee they won't still press charges on ya.

In a perfect world gun ownership wouldn't be so precarious for travelers but sadly it is.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy Beans

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
Even in a vehicle locked up what if that shit gets stolen, used and tossed and the cops trace it back to you? If they can't find you locally they'll try to summons you at your last registered address. If you're not there cause your off living in your van somewhere and no one gives you a heads up you will in short order have a serious warrant out that you won't know about. Now whenever you drive a by a cop you risk getting pulled over and arrested for running on gun charges. If they don't have a good suspect for whoever did whatever crime your piece was used in guess who's gonna be their new #1 suspect. You. Even if you reported it stolen the day it disappeared that's no guarantee they won't still press charges on ya.

In a perfect world gun ownership wouldn't be so precarious for travelers but ssadl

Ok, so if your vehicle gets broke into and you have a registered gun that went missing you are suppose to call law enforcement and report the gun stolen. That way the gun has been reported stolen and you won't ever get a warrant if something fishy happens. It's also the law to do so. If you don't then it's pretty much your fault if you are suspected of something with the firearm. The police are not out here arresting folks in st because they have a gun on them yes they do make might they are only human and now body is perfect. Y'all are actually giving this person false knowledge 40 states have a law that protects gun ownership. We also have the 2nd amendment that protects gun ownership throughout the whole country. There are only 8 states that have super restrictive laws on guns but no states have made them illegal because the legally can't.

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
That is a very helpful synopsis, but is really for traveling by car. It does not really specifically address the way most here travel, which seems to be a combination of hitchhiking, freight hopping, bicycle, mixed with bussing it, occasional air flights. This really complicates things, so that any one-size-fits-all strategy is out the window for most travelers here.
Its not illegal to do any of those things with a firearm. However I believe hitchhiking in itself is illegal and so is hopping. You can even bring you gun on a plan as long as I s been checked and in baggage and not carry on sale goes for riding a train. It's perfectly legal for me to have a pistol on my hip as long as I have my licenses. Personally I feel all women should carry one. Be less rape and less sickos out here.

• Sad
Reactions: Coywolf

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
That article doesn't even describe the circumstances to be fair. If the gun is legally registered to someone nobody in the car will be in trouble. If you are a felon you WILL he arrested because it's illegal to be around the gun. If you are traveling with someone that has an illegal firearm it sounds like you got more to worry about in life than the firearm like making better choices about who you are around. and this instance shouldn't be brought up cause it has nothing to do with your ownership anyways.

Sameer

Reaction score
A gun is a terrible idea. Guarantees you are going to jail and is not good protection anyway. Carry a big knife. Keep the length legal. What kind of circumstances do you put yourself in that makes you think you need a gun? A gun is for killing. Carrying a gun will not make you brave nor will it extend the length of your little wee wee. So many good weapon choices but a gun is a stupid choice. In regards to open carry if you think you need to open carry a gun and you are that afraid out in society there is something wrong with you. This is just my personal opinion.

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
I open carry cause there's crappy people in this world that carry illegally. Not that there's anything wrong with me. I actually have the intelligence not to speak on a subject I know nothing about unlike you.(no offense or disrespect intended I get it most of y'all are anti gun. That's your right. To sit here and tell this person that owning a gun with get you sent to jail just for owning it is ignorant. If that's the case they wouldn't sell them. So please bring something informative on the subject and leave the feelings out of it.

• Agree
Reactions: iamwhatiam

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
A gun is a terrible idea. Guarantees you are going to jail and is not good protection anyway. Carry a big knife. Keep the length legal. What kind of circumstances do you put yourself in that makes you think you need a gun? A gun is for killing. Carrying a gun will not make you brave nor will it extend the length of your little wee wee. So many good weapon choices but a gun is a stupid choice. In regards to open carry if you think you need to open carry a gun and you are that afraid out in society there is something wrong with you. This is just my personal opinion.
You see an old lady getting mugged. What's your little knife going to do?

• Stupid
Reactions: Coywolf

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
It's a matter of opinion. If he gets a gun he she do so legally then I'll these things that y'all think will happen won't. I've been stopped maybe 5 times and I've been carrying for like 4 years now. None of those times have I been arrested for simply owning my gun. Like I said before it has actually saved my life or stopped me from getting robbed on three different occasions. The ones that look at the gun as a weapon are the problem the ones that look at it as a means of protection are not the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads