Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
as this subject tends to come up every once in a while, i feel the need to give the staff's official stance on the matter.

i am pro-gun myself, but in the StP community there are FAR too many reasons to not carry a gun vs the benefits of carrying one, in the majority of travel modes this website concerns itself with.

that said, it's the stance of this community that anyone traveling via less-than legal methods (i.e. train hopping, hitchhiking, etc) should never carry a gun of any kind. if caught, you will instantly be upgraded from whatever misdemeanor the authorities claim you are committing to a full-on felony charge that will affect the rest of your life.

this alone should be enough for anyone to not travel with a gun. the trade off just isn't worth it. as others have said, there are plenty of other, legal, self defense methods out there that are almost guaranteed to deter an attacker in the vast majority of situations.

of course, there are exceptions to everything. if you're vehicle traveling, and know the laws of the state you are traveling to, perhaps you can risk it, but overall, it's not something we encourage here on StP.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I feel like @Omightydarkone isn't acknowledging what most everyone is saying here. He's dead set on defending his 2nd amendment rights and doesn't seem to grasp the fact this is a website centered around not just traveling but more often than not.. by illegal means such as hopping trains and even hitchhiking in some states. Can we just put it like this;

@Omightydarkone If your primary forms of travel were illegally hopping freight trains and hitchhiking, do you think it would be wise to carry a gun on you while traveling that way? A simple yes or no would be nice. Don't dance around it. If you traveled by freight or hitching.. would you still think it's a good idea to carry a gun?

Because that's what a lot of people do here. We're not driving company vehicles(or our own vehicles for work purposes) across state lines. We wouldn't define that as traveling, that's called working. This isn't DoorDash the planet. There's some very unorthodox stuff going on here in terms of traveling.

And let's not pretend like we're trying to answer OP's question anymore. OP hasn't been back to this site for over two entire years. OP won't be reading this. This conversation has transitioned from giving OP advice to more of a general discussion about traveling with guns. And since many people here reading this thread travel by illegal means, I think we need to re-frame the question around that.

So do you hop trains with a gun or nah?

Ameris

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.cruisersforum.com
hand grenade.. if you want to scare someone, use a handgrenade..

honestly, though.. or a flash-bang - bear bang..
get as stronger UV laser on ebay (+0.1 watt) with a narrow decorative lens, That shit will spread like a shotgun to the face, but only hit the eyes & blind for more than several seconds. Even 'eye safe' lasers will a kick the shit out of your retinas

Last edited by a moderator:

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
I feel like @Omightydarkone isn't acknowledging what most everyone is saying here. He's dead set on defending his 2nd amendment rights and doesn't seem to grasp the fact this is a website centered around not just traveling but more often than not.. by illegal means such as hopping trains and even hitchhiking in some states. Can we just put it like this;

@Omightydarkone If your primary forms of travel were illegally hopping freight trains and hitchhiking, do you think it would be wise to carry a gun on you while traveling that way? A simple yes or no would be nice. Don't dance around it. If you traveled by freight or hitching.. would you still think it's a good idea to carry a gun?

Because that's what a lot of people do here. We're not driving company vehicles(or our own vehicles for work purposes) across state lines. We wouldn't define that as traveling, that's called working. This isn't DoorDash the planet. There's some very unorthodox stuff going on here in terms of traveling.

And let's not pretend like we're trying to answer OP's question anymore. OP hasn't been back to this site for over two entire years. OP won't be reading this. This conversation has transitioned from giving OP advice to more of a general discussion about traveling with guns. And since many people here reading this thread travel by illegal means, I think we need to re-frame the question around that.

So do you hop trains with a gun or nah?
I am pretty positive I have acknowledged what everyone said I just have a different view of on it. I never said any of y'all were wrong for believing in what you believe in. Just some of the statements were false.

You and can't be selective on raveling because you don't do it the way someone else does it

• Haha
Reactions: Jimmy Beans

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
I literally posted a whole article about the laws of traveling with a firearm and made the reply if you are so worried about traveling with a gun while hopping, you probably shouldn't be hopping a train anyways. The only other thing I can tell you is I quite frankly don't care what happens to you if you have a gun while hopping. I wasn't trying to get him to carry a gun the man asked for info I gave him my opinion. If you're gonna ride my dick so hard over my personal opinion atleast buy me a fucking cup of coffee. Otherwise read wtf I already wrote and quit asking me to repeat myself and saying, "dAncE ARouNd iT".

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
if you are so worried about traveling with a gun while hopping, you probably shouldn't be hopping a train anyways.

OR... Another option would be to... not hop a fucking train with a gun?

I think it's extraordinarily clear - we're less worried about traveling with guns than you're worried about traveling without a gun. So maybe if you're so worried about going anywhere without a gun you probably shouldn't be going anywhere anyways. Logic ricochet, pew pew.

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
OR... Another option would be to... not hop a fucking train with a gun?

I think it's extraordinarily clear - we're less worried about traveling with guns than you're worried about traveling without a gun. So maybe if you're so worried about going anywhere without a gun you probably shouldn't be going anywhere anyways. Logic ricochet, pew pew.
Better logic would be not to hop the train in the first place.

D

Deleted member 23824

Do you actually feel naked without a gun, @Omightydarkone? That is not a world I’d ever want to exist in, if I felt that stepping outside without a gun was tantamount to suicide.

”An Online Community for Misfit Travelers” is what the header says I believe. That means , to me, people that travel using alternative means, such as hitching, hopping freight, rubber-tramping, etc. Not really for traveling by company vehicle, or your own, for work purposes, as @Eng JR Lupo RV323 stated. I’m not hardcore, having rode only three trains, and missd out on a trip this year when evacuated for fire. I’m an old-fuck, housed-up grandpa that likes to ride trains, I recently discovered. But I’m trying to learn. Perhaps you might search for an internet home that’s a better fit, say, like “ Gun-owner/carriers who only travel when and where they can carry a gun” You won’t get out much, I think.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I literally posted a whole article about the laws of traveling with a firearm and made the reply if you are so worried about traveling with a gun while hopping, you probably shouldn't be hopping a train anyways. The only other thing I can tell you is I quite frankly don't care what happens to you if you have a gun while hopping. I wasn't trying to get him to carry a gun the man asked for info I gave him my opinion. If you're gonna ride my dick so hard over my personal opinion atleast buy me a fucking cup of coffee. Otherwise read wtf I already wrote and quit asking me to repeat myself and saying, "dAncE ARouNd iT".

Question, why are you on this website? It sounds pretty damn clear you have no intention of traveling...especially the way most people on this site do, and telling people they 'probably shouldn't be hopping trains because its illegal' while at the same time holding the opinion of 'I carry a gun everywhere because I'm terrified of the world' raises serious red flags to me.

Add in the 'I have plenty of colored friends' quote and I am legitimately confused as to your intentions on this website.

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
It's also okay if you don't agree with my opinion. I'll sleep just fine tonight knowing so.

I kind of wish y'all would act like adults about this instead of being a bunch of over grown children who want to verbally attack someone and try to act like saying the words colored friends is bad because you don't agree with their opinion.

D

Deleted member 23824

If I referred to all people from south of the Mason-Dixon Line, such as yerself, as inbred hillbillies - would Southerners be wrong to take offense, do y’all reckon?

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
Uhhh - African Americans, or Blacks, maybe? That’s a term I have seldom heard since the 70’s, used by the oldest generation alive at the time.
My friends don't like being called black or african americans. They skin color isn't black nor are they from Africa. They like to be referred to as colored or american because they and the majority of their ancestors were born here. But I'll make sure to let them know that you a white man gets to decide what to reffer to them as

I don't get called a German irish cherokee american.

• Sad
Reactions: Coywolf
D

Deleted member 23824

My friends don't like being called black or african americans. They skin color isn't black nor are they from Africa. They like to be referred to as colored or american because they and the majority of their ancestors were born here. But I'll make sure to let them know that you a white man gets to decide what to reffer to them as
You can make a person go to school , I guess, but you can’t make them learn. Proceed . . .

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
If I referred to all people from south of the Mason-Dixon Line, such as yerself, as inbred hillbillies - would Southerners be wrong to take offense, do y’all reckon?
Actually my people are from new york so I wasn't born in the south just raised here. Most inbred families lived in the hills in tennessee and west virginia not Georgia and florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads