First post; guns y/n | Squat the Planet

First post; guns y/n

Status
Not open for further replies.

garshtoshteles

Reaction score
Been thinking about heading to Houston this winter to visit a friend of mine that recently moved, I live in Central Virginia
Don't see any threads about guns here, is there a reason for that? I was gonna buy one soon anyways but I'd figure it'd be a good weapon for self protection and my state would let menget one legally so theoretically I wouldn't have to worry about getting harassed by cops
Thoughts? I was also gonna do a trial travel once to Philly before I travel all the way to fucking Houston lol

mono

Reaction score
may be a controversial opinion but guns are generally quite bad for self defense in that if both people have guns and you pull yours out to spook them, they're more incentivised to shoot you to kill. quicker escalation

if it makes you feel safer then it's up to you - and there are certain places that there's probably some defensive benefit - but if it ever comes to actually using it you're probably fucked outta luck either way

probably heard it a lot but the best possible self defense is to avoid situations where you'd need to defend yourself as much as possible

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
may be a controversial opinion but guns are generally quite bad for self defense in that if both people have guns and you pull yours out to spook them, they're more incentivised to shoot you to kill. quicker escalation

A gun is not a good intimidation tool, it shouldnt ever come out unless something needs a hole blown through it.

In all reality though, if you have a concealed pistol license or your states version, you are fine to have it but not when committing crimes like trespassing or being publicly intoxicated. Various states will or wont recognize your cpl, so be prepared to open carry if necessary or be ready to be illegal. I have traveled with a firearm my entire traveling career without issue. But your mileage may vary.

I usually carry a .380 because it is very concealable. I can bring it with when i work out even.
5A4CC069-01E0-425D-AF24-7491DFDFCA23.jpeg

garshtoshteles

Reaction score
I figure since I'll be passing through a lot of states it'll deffo be illegal at some points. My main concern is 1) would people want to steal it bc it's valuable? 2) yeah getting shot bc someone is a little too twitchy about it 3) getting in a lot of legal trouble somewhere a few hundred miles from home with no recourse lol

I just want to have the piece of mind, but if it would put me in more danger rather than less fuck it

D

Deleted member 125

I figure since I'll be passing through a lot of states it'll deffo be illegal at some points. My main concern is 1) would people want to steal it bc it's valuable? 2) yeah getting shot bc someone is a little too twitchy about it 3) getting in a lot of legal trouble somewhere a few hundred miles from home with no recourse lol

I just want to have the piece of mind, but if it would put me in more danger rather than less fuck it

1) yes its possible, but unlikely
2) guns make people nervous, another valid concern.
3) pretty good reason to not carry a gun around.

opencarrymap-January1-2016.png

i dont know alot about gun laws because carrying around a handgun doesnt really interest me, but im aware that laws change all the time so i dont know how accurate or up to date this info is.

FenrirFox

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score

if it makes you feel safer then it's up to you - and there are certain places that there's probably some defensive benefit - but if it ever comes to actually using it you're probably fucked outta luck either way

probably heard it a lot but the best possible self defense is to avoid situations where you'd need to defend yourself as much as possible
Escalation can happen without a gun, and you should never use your gun to spook and always shoot to kill. (Centermass is usually the best target)

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dont carry a guy when traveling. I used to, and ran into WAY too much trouble. Safety is a concern, but using your head BEFORE something happens is much better. Dont get yourself in a situation you would ever need a gun. Your gear, cash, ect is not worth your life.

Carry a large knife, and some kind of mace (I carry bear mace cause you could fuck up a whole group of people with it)

I always carry a lethal, and non lethal form of protection.

Carrying a gun is almost unnecessary unless you are carrying a whole lot of OBVIOUSLY expensive shit in the public eye. Or flashing cash, or having to walk through Compton or something.

If it comes down to it, my OKC3S combat bayonet can fuck up someone's day REAL quick. Unless there is a gun to my head....and If someone already has a gun on you, its game over...

LH1UkcX.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Dont carry a guy when traveling. I used to, and ran into WAY too much trouble. Safety is a concern, but using your head BEFORE something happens is much better. Dont get yourself in a situation you would ever need a gun. Your gear, cash, ect is not worth your life.

Carry a large knife, and some kind of mace (I carry bear mace cause you could fuck up a whole group of people with it)

I always carry a lethal, and non lethal form of protection.

Carrying a gun, especially as a Male, is almost unnecessary unless you are carrying a whole lot of OBVIOUSLY expensive shit in the public eye. Or flashing cash, or having to walk through Compton or something.

If it comes down to it, my OKC3S combat bayonet can duck up someone's day REAL quick. Unless there is a gun to my head....and I'd someone already has a gun on you, its game over...

View attachment 47323
Excellent advice and what i was going to say pretty much. I carry the 50 dollar gerber kbar style knife you can get at walmart. I dont carry mace but that is a good idea.
I would never carry a gun while traveling. Thats just asking for trouble from the cops. I personally also carry a water key on a length or paracord. Great weapon and tool!

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
or having to walk through Compton

Compton isn't as gnarly as it's made out to be. Went and bought a car there a few summers ago. Crenshaw is over-hyped too, at least in the daylight. I got out of town just after dark, overheated & pulled off in Inglewood. All these places had me nervous growing up on N.W.A. & seeing it in movies but seeing them for myself really took the alarm level down. I felt more in danger in certain parts of Chicago and New Orleans. I think it's all a matter of despair. Where there's a lot of despair there's danger.

japanarchist

Reaction score
As another poster stated, I would only recommend carrying one if you have valuable stuff on you or lots of money that you don't want stolen, or if you're living in a really rough violent area. And if you do decide to go with one, it's best to keep quiet about it and only bring it out when your life is in danger. People wouldn't think to steal it from you if they don't know that you have one. And definitely learn the gun laws for wherever you would be residing at.

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Believe it or not, a really effective thing to carry is a small, high powered flashlight. It takes awhile for the eyes to adjust back to normal again after being flashed. If they can't see, they can't do anything. Especially when you have it on that quick flash mode.

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
The ones saying guns are not good for self defense or a good intimidation tool need to hush it up( no disrespect towards anybody) I've been in 3 situations were if I didn't have my pistol I'd probably have been robbed or killed for my belongs. If you legally carry a gun it is a great defense and it is in fact very intimidating. People tend to think twice when they are looking down a barrel after trying to rob you and don t let nobody tell you different. The old saying goes I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Get you a piece my friend. Just don't get a high point.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The ones saying guns are not good for self defense or a good intimidation tool need to hush it up( no disrespect towards anybody) I've been in 3 situations were if I didn't have my pistol I'd probably have been robbed or killed for my belongs. If you legally carry a gun it is a great defense and it is in fact very intimidating. People tend to think twice when they are looking down a barrel after trying to rob you and don t let nobody tell you different. The old saying goes I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Get you a piece my friend. Just don't get a high point.

Naw, I dont think anyone is saying that. What we are saying is that travelling with a gun is a HUGE responsibility/liability risk.

In a van/car..sure. you bet 'cher ass I have my 9 with me...sometimes my rifle too...but I wouldnt ever conceal/open carry on the road out of a pack. It opens so many doors to you being fucked with, it's ridiculous.

'Possession of a firearm in the act of (insert bullshit charge you would get travelling)" is serious, and it can get you mad jail time/potentially get you shot.

It just isint worth the risk, when you could just carry a knife/smiley/mace. Many, many gun owners are not versed in training related to using their firearm in hostile situations...and that could be dangerous.

If you get threatened...and draw first...what would you do if the other guy drew as well? What if they are better trained than you, harder than you, have less to lose than you?

It's a serious responsibility carrying a firearm...and suggesting that it's a good idea traveling is reckless.

NOW THAT BEING SAID...

I have had to draw on people 3 times. Twice in Bend, Oregon when tweakers broke into my truck with me in the back (look on one of the dude's faces was fucking priceless) I was half drunk, after going to sleep 2 hours earlier...fucking dangerous situation.

3rd time was at a campsite where I had to display my firearm after a group of belligerent drunks came up talking about what they 'could do with...' my female friend. Scary as fuck, as any one of them could have been packing.

I cannot stress enough that, if you have a firearm, know you state laws, laws relating to crossing state lines, laws regarding concealment/traveling in a vehicle, ect..

You DO NOT want a weapons charge on your record, it is usually a felony, and will fuck you for life.

...and yes...dont buy HiPoint.

Reactions: japanarchist

Hudson

Reaction score
My father pulled a handgun on me four years ago, thank god for that cqc training from the military. Broke his fucking hand in like six places. Suffice it to say the guy doesn't drink hard alcohol anymore.

If I were you I would not carry a gun while travelling. It is a terrible idea.

Last edited:

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Guns in general are a great way to land in jail for nothing. Traveling around state to state with one is an even better way. Laws change constantly, and if the cop fucks up you're the one who's gonna be sitting in jail facing charges while he maybe gets a write up. Even if you sue for false arrest it's the tax payers who pay the price. I've had to shoo off many a tweaker trying to steal my pack / break into my vehicle over the years and not once did I feel like I needed to shoot anyone over it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
Y'all seem to skip over the part where I said legally do so in most states you are well within your right to legal posses a fire arm. State law can't over rule federal law. Have you papers to prove the gun is registered to you and know the laws of the area you are in. Know if you can't have it loaded while traveling and what rukes you have to follow in order to travel eith. If you live in a state with strict gun laws personally I'd have moved already if I were you I've been stopped several times and was always respectfully and allowed them to ask their questions and check to make sure I and the fire arm were legit. Yes it's a hassle but so is fighting for your life. To each their own though. The question really isn't how others feel about it. it's what you as an individual wants

• Disagree
Reactions: Coywolf

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Ya but if you have any drugs on you, open containers, warrants you don't know about ect... Your legal right to that firearm goes out the window pretty quick. If you're totally sober, have all your paperwork and don't intend on leaving the state / jurisdiction where you know the laws go nuts I guess. As far as actually traveling goes I still think it's stupid and unnecessary.

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
Ya but if you have any drugs on you, open containers, warrants you don't know about ect... Your legal right to that firearm goes out the window pretty quick. If you're totally sober, have all your paperwork and don't intend on leaving the state / jurisdiction where you know the laws go nuts I guess. As far as actually traveling goes I still think it's stupid and unnecessary.
You have the right to feel that way. I personally think it's stupid to travel with drugs in the first place. It's not illegal to travel with guns. Drugs will catch you a trafficking charge, but yes if you're going to be a complete moron and travel with warrants, guns, and drugs then don't have a gun. Most states you are allowed to go through with your gun some states make you carry it in a case with a separate case for your ammo. Some states don't let you keep the magazine loaded at all. Just depends on where you at. My 2nd amendment gives me my right to bare arms and nobody can take that away from you.

Omightydarkone

Reaction score
So again, if said individual wants one. That is their right to have it. If you have a felony you can still get your gun rights back as long as the felony isn't a violent charge. Felons are also allowed to own guns that are considered antiques in a lot of states. Just know your laws and you will be perfectly fine. If you want to be an idiot about it then there are consequences that you will face

• Dislike
Reactions: Hudson
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads