First post; guns y/n

Current Location
Richmond, VA
Been thinking about heading to Houston this winter to visit a friend of mine that recently moved, I live in Central Virginia
Don't see any threads about guns here, is there a reason for that? I was gonna buy one soon anyways but I'd figure it'd be a good weapon for self protection and my state would let menget one legally so theoretically I wouldn't have to worry about getting harassed by cops
Thoughts? I was also gonna do a trial travel once to Philly before I travel all the way to fucking Houston lol

mono

StP Supporter
Current Location
World 2-1, Mushroom Kingdom
may be a controversial opinion but guns are generally quite bad for self defense in that if both people have guns and you pull yours out to spook them, they're more incentivised to shoot you to kill. quicker escalation

if it makes you feel safer then it's up to you - and there are certain places that there's probably some defensive benefit - but if it ever comes to actually using it you're probably fucked outta luck either way

probably heard it a lot but the best possible self defense is to avoid situations where you'd need to defend yourself as much as possible

Jackthereaper

Rambler
StP Supporter
Current Location
Earth
may be a controversial opinion but guns are generally quite bad for self defense in that if both people have guns and you pull yours out to spook them, they're more incentivised to shoot you to kill. quicker escalation
A gun is not a good intimidation tool, it shouldnt ever come out unless something needs a hole blown through it.

In all reality though, if you have a concealed pistol license or your states version, you are fine to have it but not when committing crimes like trespassing or being publicly intoxicated. Various states will or wont recognize your cpl, so be prepared to open carry if necessary or be ready to be illegal. I have traveled with a firearm my entire traveling career without issue. But your mileage may vary.

I usually carry a .380 because it is very concealable. I can bring it with when i work out even.
5a4cc069-01e0-425d-af24-7491dfdfca23-jpeg.47321_First post; guns y/n_Weapons & Tools_Squat the Planet_6:25 AM

Reactions: mylon and Coywolf
Current Location
central oregon
If you plan to open carry expect to get harrassed. it makes people nervous and cops too. check the laws for your area. get a conceal and carry permit.

OP
garshtoshteles
Current Location
Richmond, VA
I figure since I'll be passing through a lot of states it'll deffo be illegal at some points. My main concern is 1) would people want to steal it bc it's valuable? 2) yeah getting shot bc someone is a little too twitchy about it 3) getting in a lot of legal trouble somewhere a few hundred miles from home with no recourse lol

I just want to have the piece of mind, but if it would put me in more danger rather than less fuck it

SlankyLanky

the friendliest mod
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
I figure since I'll be passing through a lot of states it'll deffo be illegal at some points. My main concern is 1) would people want to steal it bc it's valuable? 2) yeah getting shot bc someone is a little too twitchy about it 3) getting in a lot of legal trouble somewhere a few hundred miles from home with no recourse lol

I just want to have the piece of mind, but if it would put me in more danger rather than less fuck it
1) yes its possible, but unlikely
2) guns make people nervous, another valid concern.
3) pretty good reason to not carry a gun around.

opencarrymap-january1-2016-png.47322_First post; guns y/n_Weapons & Tools_Squat the Planet_9:13 AM

i dont know alot about gun laws because carrying around a handgun doesnt really interest me, but im aware that laws change all the time so i dont know how accurate or up to date this info is.

FenrirFox

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Current Location
California

if it makes you feel safer then it's up to you - and there are certain places that there's probably some defensive benefit - but if it ever comes to actually using it you're probably fucked outta luck either way

probably heard it a lot but the best possible self defense is to avoid situations where you'd need to defend yourself as much as possible
Escalation can happen without a gun, and you should never use your gun to spook and always shoot to kill. (Centermass is usually the best target)

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Bend, OR
Website
www.youtube.com
Dont carry a guy when traveling. I used to, and ran into WAY too much trouble. Safety is a concern, but using your head BEFORE something happens is much better. Dont get yourself in a situation you would ever need a gun. Your gear, cash, ect is not worth your life.

Carry a large knife, and some kind of mace (I carry bear mace cause you could fuck up a whole group of people with it)

I always carry a lethal, and non lethal form of protection.

Carrying a gun, especially as a Male, is almost unnecessary unless you are carrying a whole lot of OBVIOUSLY expensive shit in the public eye. Or flashing cash, or having to walk through Compton or something.

If it comes down to it, my OKC3S combat bayonet can duck up someone's day REAL quick. Unless there is a gun to my head....and I'd someone already has a gun on you, its game over...

lh1ukcx-jpg.47323_First post; guns y/n_Weapons & Tools_Squat the Planet_11:27 AM

Current Location
California
Website
www.instagram.com
Dont carry a guy when traveling. I used to, and ran into WAY too much trouble. Safety is a concern, but using your head BEFORE something happens is much better. Dont get yourself in a situation you would ever need a gun. Your gear, cash, ect is not worth your life.

Carry a large knife, and some kind of mace (I carry bear mace cause you could fuck up a whole group of people with it)

I always carry a lethal, and non lethal form of protection.

Carrying a gun, especially as a Male, is almost unnecessary unless you are carrying a whole lot of OBVIOUSLY expensive shit in the public eye. Or flashing cash, or having to walk through Compton or something.

If it comes down to it, my OKC3S combat bayonet can duck up someone's day REAL quick. Unless there is a gun to my head....and I'd someone already has a gun on you, its game over...

View attachment 47323
Excellent advice and what i was going to say pretty much. I carry the 50 dollar gerber kbar style knife you can get at walmart. I dont carry mace but that is a good idea.
I would never carry a gun while traveling. Thats just asking for trouble from the cops. I personally also carry a water key on a length or paracord. Great weapon and tool!

Engineer J Lupo

the most derailingest mod.
Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
or having to walk through Compton
Compton isn't as gnarly as it's made out to be. Went and bought a car there a few summers ago. Crenshaw is over-hyped too, at least in the daylight. I got out of town just after dark, overheated & pulled off in Inglewood. All these places had me nervous growing up on N.W.A. & seeing it in movies but seeing them for myself really took the alarm level down. I felt more in danger in certain parts of Chicago and New Orleans. I think it's all a matter of despair. Where there's a lot of despair there's danger.

japanarchist

Wayfarer
Current Location
Portland
As another poster stated, I would only recommend carrying one if you have valuable stuff on you or lots of money that you don't want stolen, or if you're living in a really rough violent area. And if you do decide to go with one, it's best to keep quiet about it and only bring it out when your life is in danger. People wouldn't think to steal it from you if they don't know that you have one. And definitely learn the gun laws for wherever you would be residing at.

Current Location
On the road
Believe it or not, a really effective thing to carry is a small, high powered flashlight. It takes awhile for the eyes to adjust back to normal again after being flashed. If they can't see, they can't do anything. Especially when you have it on that quick flash mode.