Photos - First one ever? Who cares | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Photos First one ever? Who cares

BusGypsy

Reaction score
Dude, I'm cheering for you. Chris McCandless holds a place in my heart too. Yeah, he made some naive decisions, but the way I see it is, in the end, he won, he got it. Ultimately he succeeded; he escaped his parents and society and was free.
Anyway dude, go dude go. I'm rooting for you and you'll be in my thoughts. If nothing else, points for grit.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
All these people freaking out... Peter Freuchen was out on the Greenland ice for like three years living off oatmeal and an occasional seal, and that was before synthetic sleeping bags. I guess it shouldn't be surprising that the slab City crowd considers anything below zero instant death.

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
All these people freaking out... Peter Freuchen was out on the Greenland ice for like three years living off oatmeal and an occasional seal, and that was before synthetic sleeping bags. I guess it shouldn't be surprising that the slab City crowd considers anything below zero instant death.

Dude i grew up camping in the snow in northern Minnesota. I lived on the street as a young teen in minneapolis and Duluth in all weather. I've done three entire winters in minnesota living in my van while still going to high school. The coldest ive seen is -40. Ive jumped into a lake with four feet of solid ice on top of it. I cant even be offended by your assumption.

Fact of the matter is that this guy has yet to mention sleeping gear... He'd need some cool stuff to be camping in the snow. This leads me to believe that he intends to sleep indoors the whole way, if thats the case, okay cool. Kind of a lot less exciting if thats the case though.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Well that the kinda shit I'm sick of hearing (or reading).
I'm in F. St John, it's -17 C right now.

You might think I'm this clueless hobo/wonderer, but the truth is, I have done my research, and I've been out there on my own for over a year now, and in every place I did something a bit unusual I had people trying to tell me not to.
Well, you know what, and I'm being humble here, what I do? That's the kinda thing people then subscribe on YouTube and follow Instagram. But no. Not me. I don't share my shit.
This website is the only place I write, only to get it out of my system. But it doesn't mean I don't know what I do.

Just by mentioning Alaska shows me you obviously haven't read my first message (not the extra long one), because I stated that I'm going to Tuk, in Canada.

So for all of you smart asses that keep telling me what to do and what not I wish a fucking happy life, watching the videos people like me put on the internet (oh wait, I forgot, I'm a skydiver as well).

You really got all the shit out of me with your attitude, telling me the temperature as if I don't know, as if I don't plan my route. Hell no I don't carry a weapon, it's only you Americans that are so paranoid about everything. I have a bear spray only cuz someone gave it to me. You're not being respectful with your "concern". You just wait for me to fail so you can write "I told you so". Well, no need to give me more advices. I was very polite replying to everyone here before I started, but I already made it to the Alaska Highway, and this for itself is a major thing, even if I don't make it to the Arctic.
People also told me do t ride your bike westbound in the winter in Canada. Well, guess what, I made it to Vancouver.

Now, if you don't mind, I need to reenergize myself to get my next ride.

Stay safe

07:00 Calgary-lake Louise 170 km
16:00 Lake Louise-Cochrane gas station 153 km
17:00 Gas station-Sicamous 450 km
02:45 Sicamous-Kamloops 127 km
08:00 Kamloops-Kamloops 10 km
14:30 Kamloops-Revelstoke
+Revelstoke-Canmore 520 kn
14:30 Canmore-Crossfield gas station 140 km
17:15 Gas station-Edmonton/hwy60 275 km
08:30 Gas station-Hinton 267 km
12:00 Hinton-Jasper 75 km
Jasper-Jasper x2
14:00 Jasper-Prince George 380 km
Two days in P.g
08:45 Prince George-Dawson Creek 380 km
15:45 Dawson Creek- Fort St John 75 km

I think you're vastly misinterpreting people's concerns for shit-talking and/or discouragement, which from what i've read is clearly not the case. all of us have said we're not trying to discourage you, only present some valid concerns you should have when doing so.

also, im sure @Cornelius Vango realizes there's a difference between alaska and canada. what they were trying to present to you is that they have been through similar circumstances and are familiar with the temperatures and remoteness you're talking about exploring.

i know it's hard to hear all these reasons why you shouldn't do something, but none of these posts are talking shit or telling you you're stupid for attempting something like this, we're just genuinely concerned and are trying to help you at the very least be prepared if you're determined to do something so dangerous.

on a side note, in the past i have vehemently discouraged anyone from traveling with a gun here on StP, but I do believe there are exceptions, and traveling deep into the wilds without one in a situation like this seems unwise. if an animal or bear or whatever decides to fuck with you in your tent it's not going wait for you to unzip the door so you can pepper spray it. i would absolutely follow cornelius' advice and have one with you.

BusGypsy

Reaction score
on a side note, in the past i have vehemently discouraged anyone from traveling with a gun here on StP, but I do believe there are exceptions, and traveling deep into the wilds without one in a situation like this seems unwise. if an animal or bear or whatever decides to fuck with you in your tent it's not going wait for you to unzip the door so you can pepper spray it. i would absolutely follow cornelius' advice and have one with you.

Same. I reeeeeaaaaaaalllllly don't like guns (the whole power to take another human's life thing), but damn if I had to worry about bears like that, hell yes I'd get one.

sd40chef

Reaction score
I believe he could succeed to get to tuktoyaktuk hitching. Although i also believe this depends heavily on the level of generosity from people traveling and locals. Best of luck. Also with regards to the weapon, I've seen lots of grizzlies, black bears ,wolverines ,cougars etc. While traveling/sleeping outside/treeplanting, And have thankfully never had any problems with them, always giving them lots of space and respect but not showing any fear. I think the animals want to avoid us more than anything. I personally don't think It necessary to carry a gun.

Last edited:
Reactions: BusGypsy

Django

Reaction score
07:00 Calgary-lake Louise 170 km
16:00 Lake Louise-Cochrane gas station 153 km
17:00 Gas station-Sicamous 450 km
02:45 Sicamous-Kamloops 127 km
08:00 Kamloops-Kamloops 10 km
14:30 Kamloops-Revelstoke
+Revelstoke-Canmore 520 km
14:30 Canmore-Crossfield gas station 140 km
17:15 Gas station-Edmonton/hwy60 275 km
08:30 Gas station-Hinton 267 km
12:00 Hinton-Jasper 75 km
Jasper-Jasper x2
14:00 Jasper-Prince George 380 km
Two days in P.g
08:45 Prince George-Dawson Creek 380 km
15:45 Dawson Creek- Fort St John 75 km
12:00 Fort St John - Fort Neleon
+F.Nelson-Whitehorse 950 km

These hot springs? Alexander Supertramp (Chris McCandless) stopped there on his way to Alaska.
And I'm in white horse (could continue with the guy to Alaska but I don't want to cross the border).

Cheers to all Naysayers. Even though I won't make it to the Arctic, I did hitchhiked to Yukon, in the winter.
0$ on Transportation, 0$ on accommodation.

Attachments

• IMG_20190111_125918.jpg
    IMG_20190111_125918.jpg
    920.9 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_20190111_133150.jpg
    IMG_20190111_133150.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 297
  • IMG_20190111_212257.jpg
    IMG_20190111_212257.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

Django

Reaction score
So in prince george I had a couch surfing host who dropped me at the northern outskirts of town (Hart) early in the next morning, I stood there from around 8:30 am, occasionally going in the Tim Hortons to get warmed up (it started -19 and slowly went to -11). I stayed there untill around 4, no luck.
‌I then heard about a 24 hrs gas station a mile down the road (Southbound though) so I thought I'd spend the night there, and be back hitchhiking early in the morning.
‌Long story short, I was kicked out around 8pm by the employees telling me I can't just stay there. Fuckers. Had no where to sleep right?
‌I was so embarrassed but contacted my host and asked them if I could stay another night (after promising I won't be needing any further help, playing tough guy).
‌She picked me up, I stayed the night and was dropped at the same spot next morning. She wrote a facebook post asking people to help me, which got a lot of shares. When I was back at my spot, one woman that saw the post got me a coffee gift card, and another dude that saw me yesterday got me breakfast. All in a good way, no bagging or anything like that.
‌Well, this time I got lucky, and someone picked me up.
‌Now I'll tell you that. That road was fucking sketchy!!! Two trucks in the ditch, snowfall the entire way.
‌Made it to mile zero of the Alaska Hwy!
‌After taking a picture of the iconic Mile Zero sign, and some food (big ass 10$ sandwich), I headed to the Husky at the edge of town and asked people occasionally. Then a guy saw me writing a sign to Fort St John and offered me a ride.
‌I stayed awake Preety much all night in the Petro Pass at the outskirts of Port St John, none of the truckies would take me. Got out yo the traffic light at around 6 am and no luck there too.
‌I was cold as fuck and tired and kept going back in. I then asked a short ride into town, hoping to find a private car in their Starbucks. I was nervous and patientless. Then I saw an Alaskan license plate!
‌I talked to the guy, who at first wasn't very keen about taking me, but agreed. An old loner who lives in Alaska for over 40 years. We got along good and so he invited me to crash at his motel room in Fort Nelson, and was supposed to drop me at Watson Lake the next day. On the very long way from F. Nelson we stopped several times in scenic look out, including Liard hot springs (where Chris McCandless stopped and found his ride to Alaska) which was the first time we met other homo sapiens. We passes lots of Buffalo hards with over 10 of them, each. We got to shithole Watson Lake and he decided to keep going to Whitehorse. Invited me to another night at a motel before he leaves to Alaska, and I decided to stay here.
Really awesome guy. Old-school.
‌Must say that I'm shaken by the emptyness here. It's scary. Nothing. no cars, almost no trucks. I could wait till Feb and go to Inuvik then, cause theres a hockey tournament and they will be heading torwards Dawson City,
‌but no way. I'm not waiting that long.
‌Next ride I'll get will determine my plans: Further north? Sure. Going back to Fort St John? Yeah.
‌I think for now the journey came to it's end. I'm tired just of thinking about hitchhiking all the way back. Alaska Hwy is brutal

Django

Reaction score
Counting from Calgary (cause from Tofino it was a fixed ride)

3,972 km
20 rides
4 nights sleeping indoor
3 nights without sleeping
1 night sleeping in a car
2 kicked out of gas station
1 police annoyed me
Mission Failed. I haven't made it to the Arctic ocean, nor circle.

I'm too freaked out of the Alaska hwy.
Almost spent the night outside at -30 Celsius.

I'm happy I tried and I would never do it again

Reactions: Matt Derrick

BusGypsy

Reaction score
It sounds like you had a great time and that's what matters.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads