Fire Piston or Flint & Steel ??

ziggyluscious

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hey all,

I'm wondering if any of you use either a
fire piston or steel & flint for starting fires??

What would you say are the pros and cons of both ??
And your experiences of using either ??

Also is your fire piston wood or metal??
Does it matter??

Thanks all
Linda/Zigg

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
I use flint and steel, and it seems to work pretty well.

badmilk

Reaction score
One point that a fire-piston has up over a flint is that flint will eventually run out, meaning you either need to head back out of the woods (depending on how long of a stretch you are staying out for) or at the very least get another one.

exodus125

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm wondering if any of you use either a
fire piston or steel & flint for starting fires??

What would you say are the pros and cons of both ??
And your experiences of using either ??

Also is your fire piston wood or metal??
Does it matter??

Thanks all
Linda/Zigg

I use and make both. A flint is definately easier and reguires less work (PRO) But it will eventually run out (CON). A fire piston will outlast a flint, if build correctly (PRO) The ones I make are made of titanium. Fire pistons need some sort of tinder to work (CON) But in many cases these tinders can be found naturally in the wilderness or made easily even out in the woods (PRO).

As far as preference, I like the simplie elegance of a fire piston. However, that being said, I carry both when I am out in the woods.

ti6.jpg

P1010971.jpg

tipistonglownight.jpg

firepistonlit.jpg

blackgreeng10large1.png

g10glow1day.png

g10glow1night.png

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
Interesting looking work there, Exodus! Could you provide us with some captions, so we know what we're looking at?

personally, a BIC is about the best thing going and is what I actually USE the most. But I love having backup, and I carry a blastmatch firestarter also. Lifetime gaurantee... Oh yeah.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/blast-match-fire-starter.htm

exodus125

Reaction score
This is a titanium fire piston
ti6.jpg

This is a titanium fire psiton that has been heat anodized
P1010971.jpg

This is a titanium fire piston with a "glow mod"
tipistonglownight.jpg

This is a shot of some cahr cloth that has been lit using the fire piston
firepistonlit.jpg

This is a black/green g-10 fire steel 3/8" thick and 3 " long.
blackgreeng10large1.jpg

This is a ghost green g-10 fire steel 3/8" thick and 3 " long with glow scales
g10glow1day.jpg

this is the same fire steel from above but in the dark.
g10glow1night.jpg

sickofitall

Reaction score
those r sum amazing rods and pistons! do u sell em?
heres my lil fire kit; lighter, mag n ferro-rod, waterproof matches, lint n vasoline, grease wood tinder, inner-tube pieces.
got sum pics on here but tryin to figure out how to move em to this thread...
yeah im a noob!

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
I looked at your pics of fire making stuff. looks like a good little kit.

one question though. if that's all packed into one place, don't you run the risk of losing all of your fire gear at once?

I'm paranoid about that, so I carry lighters in like four different places, ( including my boot! ) and my blastmatch deep in my bag where it can't get lost.

sleep

Reaction score
I prefer matches or a lighter but I have a firesteel mini rod.

FireSteel.com

sickofitall

Reaction score
yeah thats the kit i keep in my main backpack. but im a smoker so keep a lighter in my pocket and one in my fanny pack. i also have a ferro-rod kept with my knife which is always on my hip. guess im a lil obsessive-compulsive but fire and the ability to produce it is very important.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Haven't tried na fire piston yet,but the average day has me toting the following:Ferocerium rod on keychain,trench lighter,Bic,tube of strike anywhere matches.Been too cold/wet in too damned many places to ever trust one system.Have used F&S,Bowdrill,Meteor,even chem reaction to get a fire going.We could probably write a forum on all the myriad ways just to start a decent fire!

stove

Reaction score
So I picked up a firesteel rod, just to test it out, and I'm pleased with how it works. I still stick to BIC's, unless I'm going SERIOUS backcountry adventuring, then I'll bring the firesteel or a magnifier with me.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Hey,614,just tried your method with the 9 v battery and steel wool,and the damned thing was hot enough to lite my pipe!Wonder how it would work if the steel wool was oxidized(rusted)beforehand?Iron oxide+powdered aluminum= thermite...............

Jankem

Reaction score
Flint and steel can be a good old fashion way to start a fire. I used to have a very simple kit... just a decent sized piece of flint and a curved piece of steel. It will spark in any weather. Throw in a little char cloth it works. Still can be a pain, especially when lighters float around so much. Probably more for the sake of doing it than for practicality.
I like that idea about the battery and steel wool. I'm going to try that next time I have both of those.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads