Ferrets for traveling?

FawnDroke

Reaction score
I am planning on getting a ferret to be my traveling buddy after the prison of snow goes away.

I don't know anyone personally that has had a traveling ferret and I would like some info on if they are good to go.
Thanks much!

freakstorm

Reaction score
I got a ferret in Vancouver and traveled down to California with it. He was the best ever and I could let him loose around the camps. He would come running to the sound of dry cat food being shaken in a box. I was always a little afraid of his going totally feral and unfortunately I didn't get to have him long enough to totally train him or watch him grow to maturity. He was stolen by some meth heads soon after arriving in Cal.
A few years ago we got another ferret, but she was an North American (different than the old ferret) kind and was super stinky, musty smelling and totally agro-hyper and we decided not to keep her. My old ferret didn't smell hardly and was totally mellow and easy to travel with. I had a basket style purse he would ride in and he had a harness leash, and was trained enough to wrap himself around my neck for rides.

Dameon

Reaction score
Ferrets have a habit of wandering off and getting lost, so they make bad road pets for that reason alone.

Also, ferrets are illegal in California, so if you go through there with a ferret and a cop notices, you're ferret's gone unless it's an especially nice cop.

Just do yourself and a ferret a favor, and don't take one traveling.

FawnDroke

Reaction score
Also, ferrets are illegal in California, so if you go through there with a ferret and a cop notices, you're ferret's gone unless it's an especially nice cop.

I will never be returning to Cali, so that is not a problem. I fucking hate California.
I am planning on making a harness and teaching it to stay on my shoulders and a in pocket that I will sew into my jacket, and it will go in my pack during the night.

I know that ferrets, behind dogs and cats, are the third most uncaged animals owned in the US.. and I've heard that they can do well while traveling. I can't see how ferrets would be harder (or any different) than traveling with a dog or cat (or rat.. ect)

Dameon

Reaction score
They're typically uncaged INDOORS, which is very different from uncaging them outdoors. As for traveling with them being different from traveling with a cat, it's true, it's pretty similar. Apparently you haven't seen how long cats tend to last on the road. Nobody I've ever seen traveling with a cat has had that cat half a year later. The difference is that if your ferret wanders off, it won't survive; it'll be eaten or die accidentally. And it will most likely wander, because ferrets are natural explorers, and it will most likely get lost, because ferrets are terrible at backtracking. But I guess the important thing isn't whether or not an animal is likely to suffer and die traveling with you, the important thing is that until it does, you look as cool as possible.

FawnDroke

Reaction score
But I guess the important thing isn't whether or not an animal is likely to suffer and die traveling with you, the important thing is that until it does, you look as cool as possible.

I am not the type of person to own anything for an image purpose. I realize what you are saying and I thank you for your input (that's the reason I started the thread)
Believe me when I say that I have taken your words into consideration and I appreciate them, but please do not generalize me because I still want a small animal to keep me company.

I've known people that have traveled with cats for years. It depends on the owner, or the situation they are put in.
I have no doubt that problems may arise, and I may loose this animal, but that is the risk of traveling with ANY animal, whether it be a dog, cat, or a ferret.

I personally believe that it would be an easy animal as long as it doesn't have the chance to wander away, which believe me I will have both eyes on this animal at all times. If not in my hands it will be in a contained space on my person or on a leash. I would rather an animal travel with me than a person, because people just cause conflict.

Dameon

Reaction score
Ferrets are also much more delicate animals than people realize. You'll want to carry ferret food to get them the full nutrition they need, and ferret food is expensive. Heat will be a giant problem, because ferrets are very sensitive to high temperatures, and in the summer it's pretty impossible to avoid being caught in 100+ degree weather at some point. Even temps above 80 are a problem.
(10.8) How well do ferrets handle heat? What about cold?

Also, ferrets are susceptible to many human illnesses. Normally, that's not too bad, you just stay away from your ferret when you have a cold. If your ferret literally lives on you, it's going to get sick when you get sick, and illnesses that are no big deal to you, like a cold, can be deadly to a ferret.

Just get a rat.

FawnDroke

Reaction score
I've done some extensive probing into the ferret. I know all of this.
Rats just don't have an emotional attachment like a ferret would. I know so many people that have rats and all they do is eat, piss, and shit on their owners. They are really useless creatures in my opinon.

I will keep what you have told me in mind. I still have a good few months before I can escape from Avon Colorado, then off to Oregon to set up a farm.
I've got some time to think this over.

Thanks for the input and concern!

Dmac

Reaction score
every ferret i have ever seen are f-ing hyper creatures and you will get tired of stopping it before it gets tired of doing it. but i have known people woh traveled with a red tree squirrle, and it was kind of cool in a novel way, but it tried to climb everything and chewed on it as well.

carlylanea

la fille canadienne
Reaction score
This just really made me miss my rat Loki, I had to give him away when I moved...he was the sweetest rat ever.............I took him EVERYWHERE!!! great pets, probably less mischevious than ferrets.

C

crustythadd23

i honestly think ferrets arent a travelin type of pet to bring on the road. Rats tho are very great to have, Ive had a couple before they passe away for bein old but its easier & they can eat w/e.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
One thing about ferrets is that they're mischevious, so that the food you carry with you have to be inaccessible to them. If you're the type to carry around tinctures, watch out, because some of them like to chew off the rubber bulbs. The most annoying thing is that they'll try out food that they can't eat and then there'll be a horrible poopy mess...

Dumpsterhump

Reaction score
I've been all over the country with my ferret. I got him when he was pretty young and from the start I've been handling him non stop. He is pretty chill and as sweet as can be. Zephyr's been on trains, school buses and hitching with me. They are a bit of a challenge to have on the road, but as soon as you get used to always keeping your eye on them you should be fine. You just need to remember they will wander off and not come back, pretty much every dog you encounter wants to eat them and they like to hide/sleep in weird areas where they can easily get crushed. I've had amazing luck with mine but I cant count the amount of times he was close to death because of all those reasons. Overall, I love him to death and he's the coolest animal to travel with in my opinion :p

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i just traveled from cali to nola with a guy who kept a ferret in his van (in a cage). all i know is when you take them out, you have to constantly watch them, cause they're mischievious and love to get lost. oh, and ferret piss smells aweful....avoid getting it on yerself and yer sleeping bag

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads