Farthest you've ever walked/ Maybe I will

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hey this thread is worthy of my appearance :)

I have never much cared for hitchhiking I am often antisocial towards the cattle, they alwase expect a story of how you became who you are or who yo plan to be, often times I just enjoy the simplicity of as someone already mentioned "putting one foot in front of the other and repeating the process" When I first went ultra tramp I found myself at the entrance to Pennsylvania on I-95. for about a month I walked most of rural and central Penn state, then NYC. then when I met my boy tomfool and we got kicked off the juicer outta Philly in Richmond Virginia we walked almost entirely to Charleston south Carolina - mostly due to the fact that we were two young folks with penises.
Don't get me wrong there were plenty of 20 - 100 mile rides, but the gravity of distances walked in those months far outweighs the rides.

Japan sounds fuckin sweet. I would love to lay some leather across the Asian continent :goat:

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
springer mtn, GA to hartford, TN. it took me around a month averaging 15-25 miles per day. it was on the AT and it was awesome. once reaching TN, became a river guide for a couple of weeks and hitched over to asheville, NC. worked on the french broad river and then hitched back to GA. i love waking though (especially through the mtns)

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
springer mtn, GA to hartford, TN. it took me around a month averaging 15-25 miles per day. it was on the AT and it was awesome. once reaching TN, became a river guide for a couple of weeks and hitched over to asheville, NC. worked on the french broad river and then hitched back to GA. i love waking though (especially through the mtns)

^^^(farthest i've walked without stopping for a while or getting a ride)...
i made it from hot springs, NC to damascus, VA but slack-packed some. i plan to go from GA to ME someday soon, but that's around 2,176 miles... may take 4-5 months.

farmer john

Reaction score
30 mi a day is norml and a swell pace,, take a breather every few (3) days and youll get places.. but never fast enough.

thats always my figuring when im looking at maps is divide it by 30 days to c how long it would take most of the time its not fast enough but in the mountains and shit its worth it the scenerys beautiful literally breathtaking

shittickit

Reaction score
the entire state of ohio well almost ive had alot of40 to 50 mile walks beats just sitting on the onramp with my thumb out ill take back road hiking anyday and ill get a couple short rides its probably just me but i prefer moving

C

crustythadd23

One trip I did back in 09' with some friends was from san fran to portland..all the way from SF to Salem, OR was pretty much just walkin & taking random city buses..One of the greatest adventures ever taken!

LeeevinKansas

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
40 miles a day? for 5 days ?? i call bullshit on that. professional hikers do 30 a day and thats light and fast.

agreed. if im haulin ass and pushin my limits i can do 30-35..maybe pushin 38 miles in a day. im talked 16 hours minimum, depending on terrain. at least the first day or 3 i can do about 25 to 30 but after that i drop back down to 20 minimum. weather is also a factor.

but 200+ miles in a week let alone a day. bullshit. no way. u dont know what a mile is brojo.

bacongator

Reaction score
iwalked from charletsville va to the dirty r richmond fo you non east coast people in a day in a half that shit sucked a dick .country ass fucks wouldnt pick up shit found lots of broken bottles and tampons who throws that shit out the window ?

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Back in April, I walked from Portland, OR to Eugene, OR. My intention was not the most direct route(about 110 mi). Instead, I followed the Willamette River as much as possible, which required some tricky trespassing and GMaps navigation.

Including excursions, hikes, and general exploration, it amounted to about 300 mi. Although I walk everywhere as it is, I had no experience with long hauls, especially with my entire life on my back.

My intention was to walk, so I had to turn down several ride offers.

The entire trek took 28 days. I wasn't trying to break records. I was also interested in seeing lots of things along the way. Spent close to a week in a couple of great spots.

When I had 40 mi to go, my shoes(had them for years) wore the fuck out. I had to drum up money and find another pair. My pack, which I curb-scored ages before also barely made it. Luckily, a friend in Eugene gave me a sweet upgrade.

The longest I did in one day, during a record-heat month in the Willamette Valley, was 28 mi. Had a couple other 20+ days.

Tons of stories. Amazing times. Do it again? Maybe. With some better shoes, perhaps.

rooster831

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
longest for me was Las Vegas at the strip to san bernadino county (right across the state line)

took some days following the I-15, mostly at night

longest on one day was about 30, Oxnard CA to Malibu along the CA-1

it was completely closed down with giant piles of dirt all along the center of the highway

also, we had no food or water, which was stupid but we did it. some guy gave us a gallon as soon as we got to the malibu end

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads