Farthest you've ever walked/ Maybe I will | Squat the Planet

Farthest you've ever walked/ Maybe I will

BanMatt

Reaction score
I'm currently in indianapolis IN right now considering doing a walk to bloomington. I've in the past always pushed myself to walk long distances. Nothing like this though. According to google map it would be about a 16 to 18 hour walk. I'd rest and sleep when needed. It's only about 50-55 miles too which isn't bad. Nice and scenic country and forest a long the way. I'm sure however if offered a ride here and there I would take it.

Anyway anyone ever done a hike of this distance? Any stories? What is the farthest you walked intentionally or unintentionally?

P

Pheonix

I think for me it would when I was hitching the 101 in northern cali and got dropped off at the Avenue of the Giants and walked the whole way thru. a 31 mile stretch along some of the biggest and most beautiful Coastal Redwoods in Humboldt Redwoods State Park

Avenue of the Giants :: Printable Map

camping inside a tree was great

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
I intentionally walked up the 1 from slo town carmel in about 5 days a few years ago. That was 200+ miles. I also once spent three days walking down the 40 in OK without getting a single ride. I think that was close to 100 miles.

50-55 miles ain't shit, especially if you intend to take breaks, I say do it.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I've walked about 60 miles in about 2 days, it was a bit colder than I'd have liked, but I didn't need that much water at least. It does get a bit boring though, I ran out of lyrics to sing to myself. I pushed myself a while ago, no idea really on the distance I went, but it was only for a day and the next morning I couldn't bent my legs straight because they were too sore and stiff...

Cade

Reaction score
24 miles in one day in the Sierre Mtns. Not much compared to some people.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
I used to figure 20+ miles a day on foot plus whatever rides I caught. I'd do that 6 days a week for 3 or 4 weeks sometimes. Longest in a day was between 40 and 45. You gotta build up to that though. I had calluses like moosehide on my feet.

Yeah, you just need to go for it. Pack light. Broken in running shoes if you got em. You'll get blisters anyway, but if you slap tape or moleskin on them when you first feel the burn they'll be OK. Lots of dry socks and change em often. Maybe tylenol to get you moving the second day.

Good luck!

LeeevinKansas

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
WHen i was las tin iowa, I walked all the ways from Ames, east to Nevada, to Colo, to State Center. Then I stayed the night in the park bathroom at state center, then the next day I walked south to route 30, then south again to state highway 254, then west to Rhodes, the west to Collins, then finally i finished up in Maxwell, Iowa.

I had no rides, it took me 2 complete days, and was a total of 48 miles. Yea its fun actually looking back on it. Disapearing into the countryside and what not.

H

Huntress

We had to walk to a hopout spot in the outskirts of Houston once because we got tickets for "trespassing at a bus stop" while waiting for the bus. Thirty miles, and we ended throwing our packs in a grocery cart and got there by night.

coolguyeagle76'

Reaction score
dalonega ga. to copperhill tn. over many days, cause i almost had to stap a guy and thought id "take a break" from hitch hiking. but its gratifying at the end of a long day to find a secret swiming hole or something like that you never woulda seen from a car, also picking up road garbage is a great way to pass the time. found on that walk: a half tin can of american spirit tobacco, instant hot chocolate mix, a marble, countless left handed gloves (never right handed..), and the weirdest mix tape ever titled "love me dirty".

Reaction score
I intentionally walked up the 1 from slo town carmel in about 5 days a few years ago. That was 200+ miles. I also once spent three days walking down the 40 in OK without getting a single ride. I think that was close to 100 miles.

50-55 miles ain't shit, especially if you intend to take breaks, I say do it.

40 miles a day? for 5 days ?? i call bullshit on that. professional hikers do 30 a day and thats light and fast.

P

Pheonix

40 miles a day? for 5 days ?? i call bullshit on that. professional hikers do 30 a day and thats light and fast.

but marathon participants can do 26 miles with in 5 hours so its very easily possible if you have the endurance to put one foot in front of the other. my friend who was trying to lose some weight would walk in a circle in my yard for 30 miles a day and still have plenty of time to go about his normal daily crap.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
but marathon participants can do 26 miles with in 5 hours so its very easily possible if you have the endurance to put one foot in front of the other. my friend who was trying to lose some weight would walk in a circle in my yard for 30 miles a day and still have plenty of time to go about his normal daily crap.

And some ultramarathoners can do 150 miles in 24 hrs. There was a nightwatchman at UW who was a professional ultra runner when I was living in my car on campus. Nice guy even if he did roust me out a couple times. He was doing like 50 miles every day with longer runs on weekends. Some kids broke into the UW Medical Center one night and stole some shit . They thought it'd be easy to outrun the old man.... :)

LeeevinKansas

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score

30 miles a day is pushing it for most ppl ive met, hell even for people who dont do this kinda shit. u have to take into account as well pack size, terrain, weather, etc. all that shit can make someone whos slow go fast and vice versa.

keg

Reaction score
from Yamanashi(a mountain in japan up over it and up down around a cuple mountan ranges and down to the ocean,took 3 days of walking from sun up to sun down.sleepinging in shitty tent anplace and swimming(bathing) in the rivers.just hot as fuck in the day and freezing at night and no beer for the whole time.but plenty free fruits and veggys.and lots of rivers for water.no stores,no people=heaven.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
Georgia to Connecticut was probably the longest distance i walked in one stretch, but longest time i ever walked was about 4 months from georgia to new jersey. Miss those days

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads