Photos - Ever Travel With Kids? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet
D

Deleted member 125

Hahahaha hot damn.

We are totally living the dream!!! And I will be 30 in July. I just want to keep on living all of our dreams with our chitlens.

My other inquiry is travelling beyond the US. I have done a little bit of solo travelling in Ireland and Spain, but having two little people is a whole nother animal.

I want my family to see Ireland and lately Argentina is calling my name.

It seems like WOOFing is a good option (but I've never done it). We could potentially drive to S.America... Kid friendly squats would be a dream (which pretty much just means no smoking in the house). Camping is definitely an option (easier when they are at least a year - even easier without diapers... everything is easier without diapers). Flying is always a pain in the ass - I am also interested in travelling by boat...
Just kind of brainstorming here...

ive known quite a few people who woofed and i think @Kim Chee has some experience doing it also. be sure to look into the place you will be staying at as some are well known for not treating their employees fairly and just down right lying in their advertisements as far as accommodations and pay and what not. i would think that alot of them would not be kid friendly because of the nature or working around farm stuff and possibly needing somebody to supervise the children while you were working. most provide meals per day as part of yer pay so i dont think that yer kids would be fit into those meals unless of course you shared part of yer meals with them, but i could see that being a slight problem also. same with the pets i know some are pet friendly some arnt, i wish i hadnt packed up my woofing guide book or ide mail it to you to browse through, but i think you can buy a 2017 one somewhere online that will have most of the updated places and what they offer and what not.

Jone

Reaction score
So, it was a land contract with my grandpa, but it is all in my name now - I am the legal owner, property taxes and all.
I definitely don't want to give up on this by any means! I think we can find someone to look after it in our absence... And then return to our little haven after our itch subsides ;)

Ugh, the shit is happening right now. It is actually my first clash with my stepmom since they got married 7or so years ago... Anyway, I should have never told her how I really feel and just kept on ho humming along. Maybe there is an olive branch in the future....

I was just talking to my friend, we were saying. In Lakota culture, you don't talk to your in law of the same gender. Ever. Never ever. They don't talk.

So I agree....next time bite your tounge. And hut the road!!! Srsly. Do you have a partnet, or co-parent? You'll be fine either way dooooo it.

Reactions: BobbinGoblin

BobbinGoblin

Reaction score
Website
www.howlattheloom.com
I was just talking to my friend, we were saying. In Lakota culture, you don't talk to your in law of the same gender. Ever. Never ever. They don't talk.

So I agree....next time bite your tounge. And hut the road!!! Srsly. Do you have a partnet, or co-parent? You'll be fine either way dooooo it.

Fo sheezy!! Things are looking up already with her.
But definite plans to integrate travel into our lives as much as possible... looking for a camping vehicle first and foremost.
And yes, to partner/co-parent, couldn't do it without him! (Well, I could, but it would be hard hard hardddd harder).

enchained

Reaction score
Hi - this going to be half-intro and I don't have all that much to contribute, but I'm following this thread with great interest because I basically joined this site a few weeks ago with the purpose of researching this exact thing. To give the very abbreviated story I spent some time traveling when I was 19-20, then came back home and built up my life here - family, farm, etc - like you're talking about, and the itch to be on the move has returned rather fiercely this year. We have a son who just turned 5, small farm with goats, sheep, chickens, bees...wood heated house, etc. I have a couple of (weak) leads on friends who might be willing to take care of the place and I'm trying to decide about looking for an old B-van vs. trying to pull a camper with the farm truck, LOA from work, and that kind of logistical stuff. Homeschooling was already in the plan so road-school wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Anyway I don't really have any information to add, other than hey it's nice to see someone that's kind of in the same boat and mindset. Are you in the UP? We are in northern Minnesota and it can't be more than a day's drive.

wingsofjudas

Reaction score
Website
wingsofjudas.com
Hey, @BobbinGoblin, I know you from The Country Grind! This is Judas from Rat Farm and @enchained is my spouse. =p Stoked to see you here too and encouraged we aren't the only homesteaders with the itch to hit the road.

I don't have much to contribute but @Matt Derrick has suggested I use the board to find homestead sitters. I've thought about doing instructional stays for folks interested in picking up skills and that could be a way to set things up for the occasional trip.

BobbinGoblin

Reaction score
Website
www.howlattheloom.com
Hey, @BobbinGoblin, I know you from The Country Grind! This is Judas from Rat Farm and @enchained is my spouse. =p Stoked to see you here too and encouraged we aren't the only homesteaders with the itch to hit the road.

I don't have much to contribute but @Matt Derrick has suggested I use the board to find homestead sitters. I've thought about doing instructional stays for folks interested in picking up skills and that could be a way to set things up for the occasional trip.

Good to see you here!! Perhaps we could come visit ya'll one of these days!

BobbinGoblin

Reaction score
Website
www.howlattheloom.com
Are you in the UP? We are in northern Minnesota and it can't be more than a day's drive.

We are in the tip of the Mitten! About an hour south of the Mackinaw Bridge. We always drive through the UP when we have visited friends in MPLS. I'd say we should definitely exchange visits!

Reactions: enchained

OakTreeHopper

Reaction score
traveling with littles is fun but avoid cali that state will steal your children in a heartbeat....try tow yards for a cheap rv

OakTreeHopper

Reaction score
yes i've traveled with my little.. yes cali kidnapped her....yes i'm still fighting for her...no it was not drug related

Tford

Reaction score
By kids, I mean children.

We have a 2.5year old and a 4.5month old... have been settled for a while and have acquired many other beings to take care of including goats, chickens, dogs, and a cat.
We love our homestead, projects, and being mostly self-reliant, but feel trapped.
The most looming trap for us is having such ignorant neighbors (including, but not limited to, my parents).

Leaving has been bouncing around in my mind. But having children and critters creates so many... logistics to take care of.

We need to line somebody up to take care of our farm animals and property.
Need to acquire a camper for cheap.
And, well, need to get our house dogs some manners.

Anybody out there ever travel with kids/babies/children? Ya'll have any insight to offer? How bout internationally?

Also,
"Don't have kids" is not an acceptable answer - cuz too late.

View attachment 34204
No u just need to move to texas where squatting is legal.
COMING from a guy who only squats 250k priced homes and up

BobbinGoblin

Reaction score
Website
www.howlattheloom.com
yes i've traveled with my little.. yes cali kidnapped her....yes i'm still fighting for her...no it was not drug related

Damn, that sucks. Care to share details?

No u just need to move to texas where squatting is legal.
COMING from a guy who only squats 250k priced homes and up

Not looking to move anywhere but the Mitten, but thank you!

OakTreeHopper

Reaction score
3 drunk homebums were threatening my pregnant gf wanting "their" flyspot she called me i took her an 11½" Bowie knife sheathed(which is how it stayed) one of the bums called the cops told them i had a gun(which i did NOT) we went to jail bums got restraining order gf and i asked for someone to come pick up our daughter cops said no called cps we spent almost 18 months fighting for her....there's so much more

Sent from my C6740 using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

trashytrash

Reaction score
i've been thinking about getting a bus and ya know converting it into a lil home or heck even getting a nice big volkswagen or something. i have a 4.5 month old too, and i doubt he's gonna be needing much space for a while.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads