Dumpster Homebrew

lowerarchy

Reaction score
You can't ferment meat because yeast can't metabolize protein. Yeast needs sugars to live, or starches that can be converted to sugars, so that' the problem. I had this conversation with someone the other day about fermenting a box of eggs we found.

Someone did tell me about some German beer that gets a whole raw chicken in a burlap sack during the fermentation, strictly for the flavour.

skunkpit

Reaction score
not if ya jerky and caramelize in sugar first! ahhh i kid
but yeah added afterwords for flavor seems plausible
i gotta start some beer soon, different brewing in the winter thats for sure

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
You can't ferment meat because yeast can't metabolize protein. Yeast needs sugars to live, or starches that can be converted to sugars, so that' the problem. I had this conversation with someone the other day about fermenting a box of eggs we found.

Someone did tell me about some German beer that gets a whole raw chicken in a burlap sack during the fermentation, strictly for the flavour.

SEE i told you skunk! you can't brew the meat!

skunkpit

Reaction score
your doubt fuels my alcoholic brewing rage mmwwaahahahaha
i seriously know theres no sugar in it and its protein i get it, but it is possible to have preserved dried meat added to brew afterwords for a while anyhow

bikegeek666

Reaction score
Figured theres always a bit of yeast still left in yeast packets at ubrew stores, so dumpstered the stores and took all the used packages of yeast.
have some kind of airlock carboy or just a cleaned jar, throw some sugar water in there rince out the yeast packages with the sugar water and close up the jar with a condom or airlock. in a warm environment a yeast culture will grow then pour off some into your ready to go fruit juice or beer. add more sugar water to your culture and keep it alive. as long as its taken care of youll never need to buy yeast. it will be a battle of bacteria, you want the yeast to win, so clean all the stuff your using well before starting.
along with a dumpstered vessel to put your dumpstered fruit juices in, youll have 100% free homebrew.

good idea, i've been looking for a way to get a yeast culture free.

lowerarchy

Reaction score
I've been making distilling mashes with bakers's yeast. If you let 'em clear for a month or so they're pretty good. Better as vodka, but I have drank a bunch just as wine.

G

general.manifest

For those who live south of Chambersburg, PA and north of somewhere, and east of Ohio, you live in Food Lion territory. Food Lion's throw away at least thirty to forty gallons of juice a week! Some of it is pure, some is adulterated with high fructose corn syrup. they both ferment. You can start with the a batch, and then as you rack out the finished brew, just add juice again if you don't wash the container, and then the new brew will be re-yeasted. this makes some weird items, at least it has for me, because i don't care. we add orange to pina colada to guava to strawberry burst, etc. it usually comes out at about 7% alcohol. i then fill two liter bottles with it and let it sit, since it will store well in them, they're durable, easy to find and travel well. this stuff actually has benefits too! you won't get scurvy, and i still maintain that since it has alot of yeast settling out all the time, and it's fruit juice you're chances of drinking without hangover are greater. send me any questions.

Badass thinkin' on the dumpstered yeast packets skunkpit... I'm thinking though, it might help to have some kind of yeast nutrient when you're first culturing the yeast with the sugar water, like malt, whipped egg whites, b vitamins and a tiny bit of oil. Yeast uses sugar for energy, but it still needs something like a balanced diet, and I think it's even more important if you're trying to culture it from a tiny amount. I've heard the less like grapes your mash is, the more important it is to add yeast nutrients.

skunkpit

Reaction score
oh for sure, this time i tried it just used like icing sugar it took a while to grow
but then instantly added fruit juice to it and it went nuts
oil though hey?
didnt really think of it

lowerarchy

Reaction score
Badass thinkin' on the dumpstered yeast packets skunkpit... I'm thinking though, it might help to have some kind of yeast nutrient when you're first culturing the yeast with the sugar water, like malt, whipped egg whites, b vitamins and a tiny bit of oil.
You can use green leafy teas like yerba mate. The fastest ciders I've ever made had mate in them. Added benefit of being slightly caffeinated. I've heard nettle is a good complete nutrient but I'm waiting for new spring shoots to come up to try it. B complex is good but expensive. Some yeasts just like to have particles to cling to.

I always thought that egg whites were for the end when the ferment is over and you want to clear your wine. Or maybe just so you don't have to share with vegans.

kai

Reaction score
nettles are amazing in brew!! oh my goodness, nettle beer is so tasty....I'm excited for berries to start popping up, nettles, and all other woodland goodies!! nettles are pretty much the closest thing I can think of too a substitute for a local mate or green tea-like drink, save for the caffeine.

Kobet Pahana

Reaction score
hey skunk, got one thing to say about meat brew, doesen't hurt to fuckin try, i've talked about it before but we're just gettin up on the shoebox production line so not much room for narly experiments. piss wine's also i thought i'll probabaly never get to but i thought you might be into it. and as far as clenliness with any yeast survival, i find it doesen't matter how clean it is if you got yaest nutrient to boost the yeast's chance. licorice fern mead here in a coupla weeks

marc

Reaction score
if im making wine out of smashed up fruit how much of a gallon jug do i fill up with fruit before adding the rest of the ingredients?

kai

Reaction score
. licorice fern mead here in a coupla weeks

i'll be there just in time for that shit fuck yeah!

i just made a winter ale recently using all grain, and bittering it with hops, cinnamon and cardamom and using an ale yeast for fermentation...took half the time as wine yeast and tastes delicious...

next I'm gonna get my hands on a huge bag of spelt or kamut or whatever I can get, and malt that and then make an all grain brew performing every step except growing and gathering the grains!

skunkpit

Reaction score
naw i wouldnt do the meat
from unsanitary brewing iv had good luck without mold
only flop is i made 120 liters of grain steeped beer and when i was away air got in and lacto bacteria took over

im bottling my wild yeast beer soon, is the best tasting brew iv made so far
so simple
add half parts water half parts flour, any kind
stir daily in an open vessel untill you see naturally occuring bubbles and voila

at the moment malting popcorn and potentially spelt

beer though is ridiculous energy consuming. if ya were to grow em grains to a finished carbonated bottle of beer

sharks77

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
yeast doesnt need any other nutrients to survive, just normal sugar... you gotta make sure it doesnt get too hot though or the yeast will die, but if its cold they won't do anything either, the water should feel about neutral to you if you stick your finger in it... also if the yeast whatever store threw out is expired, it probably wont do anything for you either. those little packets only last about a year or so

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads