Dumpster Homebrew

skunkpit

Reaction score
Figured theres always a bit of yeast still left in yeast packets at ubrew stores, so dumpstered the stores and took all the used packages of yeast.
have some kind of airlock carboy or just a cleaned jar, throw some sugar water in there rince out the yeast packages with the sugar water and close up the jar with a condom or airlock. in a warm environment a yeast culture will grow then pour off some into your ready to go fruit juice or beer. add more sugar water to your culture and keep it alive. as long as its taken care of youll never need to buy yeast. it will be a battle of bacteria, you want the yeast to win, so clean all the stuff your using well before starting.
along with a dumpstered vessel to put your dumpstered fruit juices in, youll have 100% free homebrew.

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
i've been thinking of fermenting candy. like redhots, or candycorn. i've done lots of brewing and distilling, but neverthat. anyone tried it?

skunkpit

Reaction score
its probably possible, boil the shit outa them till they melt..
im really thinking about brewing somekind of road kill meat into a batch of beer, fuckin crazy but it might be possible

kai

Reaction score
i recently just attended a fermentation workshop and one of the things that was covered was sterilisation. It is not as necessary as we think for fermentation (food or booze). When you are adding a culture and creating the environment for it, it will flourish and therefore the bacteria you want (and are accomodating) will overtake the bacteria you don't want.

The example that was given involved raw milk.

A raw milk producer in california makes petri samples of his raw milk (full of good bacteria) by adding cultures of e.coli, listerosis and salmonella. He also does the same using pasteurized store bought milk, then sends them to a laboratory for testing. The raw milk always comes back without a trace of the bad bacteria and in the pasteurized products the harmful bacteria is always able to flourish. Just some food for thought and also hopefully this will keep your stress levels down.

the presentation I went to was by Sandor Keyes the author of Wild Fermentation if anyone is interested in looking up for their own.

skunkpit

Reaction score
LIES
MEAT BREW
it must be possible
h,m i guess if you jerkyed the meat first then added it to the beer just after ya finished it have a nice little beer soaked sink meat chunk for the finish.. kinda like tequela worms

yeah the bear was so good
the fat lasted 2 weeks and it was only a baby bear

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
yikes. I can't even imagine the taste of that...

I've been thinking of putting a nightcrawler in my next batch of 'shine. like a trademark.

kai

Reaction score
start with nightcrawlers then see if you can bag yerself a cottonmouth or a scorpion for a big batch! How muh fun would it be to see the look on the cops face who found that in your backpack??

Reactions: buffalobill

skunkpit

Reaction score
yyyeeap livin in the back woods alright, no money and a creative mind. i just dont like buying alcohol, i dont know bout in the states but in canada buying any alcohol directly funds the policing system to boot fuck our asses... homebrewing is exciting, and you can create alcoholic drinks the liquor stores will never offer. i myself am content with even just making homebrew from some fruit thats unpasteurized and allot more healthy then any of the crap you can buy from a store.. this forum is a method to spread information for new/old creative methods of d.i.y anything

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
here here!

and you just gave me an idea Arrow- a (cleaned) chicken foot in a bottle of 'shine. Now dat be sum fo shore gud ol juju rite dere, cher.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Don't worry about the chicken foot, you ain't eating, it's just there to give the moonshine some flavor!

I know the Swedes actually make a fermented fish dish called surstroemming, or something like that. The US bans importing it, since they consider it to be rotten and unfit for human consumption. I have also heard of fermented meat, too, but I think it was used as a preservation technique...

DFA

Reaction score
Website
wemakezines.ning.com
The US bans importing it, since they consider it to be rotten and unfit for human consumption.

haha funny. That is like 85% of the "meat" products
commercially manufactured in the US.
I am interested in this homebrewing using fruit.
Anyway I can inquire further? And is it
affordable, I am a broke ass loser.

skunkpit

Reaction score
without a press or a juicer as long as you have a boiling vessel, a container to store the homebrew in and brewers yeast your pretty set

1: cut up random fruit into small chunks and remove seeds
2: boil them in water till they mash up (more then 20 minutes at a boil)
3: optionally use a cheese cloth and strain the mash, this isnt really necessary just gives you more room in the brew vessel, but also takes away some sugars
4: while waiting for mash to cool, boil some water to rinse out and clean the brew vessel
5: pour cooled down mash into vessel, add brewers yeast , if your accurate the mash should be cooler then 20c

you need to make sure no air gets inside the brew, bad bacteria will start to fuck it up. so ya need to find a way to allow the c02 to escape but no air to get in, ubrew places have airlocks with bungs, but you could use a condom and keep releasing the gasses or you could glue a hose through the lid of the brew vessel and then put the hose into a jar of water

on average youd probably get 3-4-5 % wine without adding sugar
for say 20 liters adding 2-4 kilos of sugar + time could get you 10-20% wine

if you leave the mash in it will gradually settle to the bottom, in which case when your ready to drink just avoid drinking the chunky bits at the bottom, though very intoxicating they contain most of the yeast

and temperature is important
at -10 yeast will die, at -4 yeast will remain dormant yeast will brew drinkable alcohol at 10c but it will not multiply and flourish, anywhere after 15c to 30c yeast will multiply and brew quicker around 35c + the yeast becomes exhauses and starts to mutate

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
The way I'd let air escape from my fermenting drink is to have one of those bottles with the ceramic lids that you latch shut with a mechanism made of a thick steel wire. I wouldn't latch it shut, I'd just put a weight on the lever so that it keeps the cap over the top. When enough gas builds up, the cap goes up a little bit, but comes back down. Since it does keep a good amount of pressure inside, the drink gets a bit carbonated.

Also, in order to break down the mash, you can just freeze the whole thing and let it thaw- that way you don't have to decant the drink.

T

Tailz

i have some homebrew almost ready where im stayin at. i found pokin holes in the condom will let out the gasses and not let air in. the yeast was easy enough to grab off the shelf, and the grape juice concentrate, but dont use the kind with preservatives and shit, should be as naturall as posible or the preservatives will prevent the yeast from activating the sugar.

skunkpit

Reaction score
i missed this halloween smashed squash massacre.. was planing to collect all the smashed pumpkins and brew em all, instead though made mass soupage

thats cool with the weighted lid idea

yeah i really like carbonating fruit juices resembles beer but sans brewing with grains idea

Rise 609

Reaction score
I got a pretty nice beer brewing kit that i'd be willing to part with if someones interested. I want $50 for it and i'll even give you the ingredients to make 5 gallons or ipa beer with it. If you dont have the cash make me a reasonable trade offer. Im in Jersey but will ship it to you if your intersted. I know this isnt the forum to sell things on but i figured its about brewing beer so i'm not that far off. Kit comes with everything you need except a big pot to boil the wart in. Even have a bottle capper and caps that i'll throw in. Just send me a pm if interested.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I'm guessing not too many of y'all live near juice dumpsters? Before naked juice sold out to one of the big soda companies, I had so much raw materials for making homebrew...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads