DIY / Traditional Tattoos

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to not contract HIV while giving tattoos, like, don't share your needles or have someone bleed on you while you're being tattooed and you're probs okay..

No shit...I was just being an asshole...And I know plenty of idiots who share and reuse needles because jailhouse and otherwise tattoos are "cheap/free"...

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
I was not making a stab at you jelly, just some of the idiots on here talking about bullshit. I am a scratcher myself, I just happen to use an actual machine and proper equipment. Not doggin anyone otherwise as long as its being done safely...

keg

Reaction score
you can just cut the art into your skin and pour ink on it rub it in and its good to go.but as you get older if you use this method you will also get a white scar under?alongside?whatever,the older you get the lest nice this method looks,as i guess it should be.

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
Whenever I do stick n poke the ink bleeds out onto the skin after I poke covering what I'm tracing. Then when I wipe, the design I'm tracing wipes away with the ink. Any ideas how to avoid this?

A little bit of vaseline (just a tiny amount) will help to stop that, what are you using to apply the stencil to the skin?

daveycrockett

Reaction score
why would you want shitty tats its gointo be with you forever go to the shop get t done right or got to a friend i thin k i paid 17 bucks and a cheesburger for the one on my leg and still owe money for a couple but at least there not 'totally' shitty or infected. ive also seen some really fuckin stupid ones (sigh)

derailed

Reaction score
I love traditional tattooing, but I'd be very careful about what kind of ink you are putting into your body. "Traditional", doesn't always equal "safer". A lot of primitive pigment is full of heavy metals and other toxic substances. For example, traditional Yakuza "body suit" tattoos, when done with the same inks they were using 100 years ago, is said to take 20 years off your lifespan. Most modern ink has plastic in it, so you gotta watch out for that too.

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
I love traditional tattooing, but I'd be very careful about what kind of ink you are putting into your body. "Traditional", doesn't always equal "safer". A lot of primitive pigment is full of heavy metals and other toxic substances. For example, traditional Yakuza "body suit" tattoos, when done with the same inks they were using 100 years ago, is said to take 20 years off your lifespan. Most modern ink has plastic in it, so you gotta watch out for that too.

That is so true about materials used to make the ink, (very interesting about the yakuza ink too). I use starbrite ink personally. Which is vegan (who cares) and is supposed to be made of good materials. I hate hearing about people using random garbage for tattoo ink, or making their own, which is obviously much worse. Hah. good ink is pretty pricey though.

derailed

Reaction score
Fusion and Stable are both good safe inks. A trick is to look at the ingredient list on the back of an ink bottle. If it lists an ingredient as "proprietary" (which means that it's a protected trade secret), 99% of the time that ingredient is plastic. Also, if an ink company refuses to disclose a full list of their ingredients, you can bet there's some toxic shit in there. Your body will either reject, or have a bad reaction, to a lot of this stuff. It's worth looking into, because it's serious business.

derailed

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to not contract HIV while giving tattoos, like, don't share your needles or have someone bleed on you while you're being tattooed and you're probs okay..

HIV is a little more difficult to contract, but Hepatitis is fairly easy. It can live outside the body for longer than a week. If you're tattooing out of your house I would recommend taking a bloodborne pathogens class and learning everything you can about cross contamination. There's no such thing as being "too clean" when it comes to tattooing. Literally, your life is potentially at stake.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
derailed for the win.

cxR - also, check to see if that ink is vegan or not (Assuming you're into that kind of thing)

ipoPua

Reaction score
i just make my ink by taking a candle and charring up the side of a chunk of wood, scrape that into a bottle cap and mix it with a tiny bit of veggie oil. vegan, diy, cheap and easy as fuck. i've only given myself a handful of really tiny simple things, most of em have stuck around though. i've done razor/rub and stick/poke, theyve all lasted but for the heart on my middle finger. i've redone that a few times and it keeps fading away, i dont think i'm jabbing deep enough for that area.

Reactions: Vonuist

Vonuist

Reaction score
Website
trashwiki.org
i just make my ink by taking a candle and charring up the side of a chunk of wood, scrape that into a bottle cap and mix it with a tiny bit of veggie oil. vegan, diy, cheap and easy as fuck. i've only given myself a handful of really tiny simple things, most of em have stuck around though. i've done razor/rub and stick/poke, theyve all lasted but for the heart on my middle finger. i've redone that a few times and it keeps fading away, i dont think i'm jabbing deep enough for that area.

The traditonal way was to take the candle and burn it inside a tin can to get the lamp-black, so, much the same method.

Reactions: ipoPua

tyler harmon

Reaction score
anarchy on ankle using 3 wrapped needles and india ink. i did part of this at night with a flashlight

Attachments

• 20120424141521.gif
    20120424141521.gif
    110 KB · Views: 309

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads