desperately trying to get out west but apparently too dumb.

ipoPua

Reaction score
and i keep changing my mind how to do it. everytime i come up with what seems like a good plan i triple check it and find out some reason it sucks. i can get most anywhere on this coast pretty easy. my latest plan was to get to roanoke va and hop out cos i read they have alot of trains but the more i think and check the shittier that sounds. so anyway i'm coming from buffalo ny and hoping someone'll help me. and i don't care what a newb i sound like, thats exactly what i am sooo yeah i think i'm done typing now.

tldr-help me get west? prease?

K

Kim Chee

Maybe you're putting to much thought into it. Do you know which way is west? Its going to take some effort: come to terms with that and head out the door.

ipoPua

Reaction score
yeah it's definitely that simple, particularly when it's below freezing out. thanks for your help twatwaffle

K

Kim Chee

hehehehehehehe! don't you tell me about the cold. That is why I'm out west. And I guess it is ok to call me twatwaffle here, after all it is the internet.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
There is always, ALWAYS, a reason things suck. Everything. Without exception. If you are going to let that stop you, you have failed already.
Go south first though. If you are sure you want to ride trains east, do it from Florida.
Hitch down, or take a rideshare if your scared of the cold.

Reactions: ipoPua

ipoPua

Reaction score
no i'm down with hitching but i'll probably bus or try and find a rideshare at least a couple states down just so sleeping outside doesnt suck quite so much. and i know theres always gonna be a flaw to any plan but i still want to come up with a halfway decent one before i ditch everything i know and love. thanks for giving me some actual advice, i already knew i was gonna go south first i'm just trying to figure where would be good to go from there. you're saying florida, i'll note that. thank you

TheLoneRat

Reaction score
I agree, head to fl and then head west. it'll be much warmer and not so shitty.
or get to chicago and ride the high line west, and grow a pair of icicles...no seriously though, go south nobody in their right mind should want to take the high line in winter.

K

Kim Chee

Hitch the 10, brah. Nice avatar, silly as shit.
I hitched out late Jan one year taking the 80 and 90 from west coast to east coast without a cent in my pocket.
On my way back (Feb), I took a couple of days in Miami and got back to the 10 and went west.
I think I may have just been lucky. Stay warm and don't sleep inside of dumpsters.

CXR1037

Banned
Reaction score
ipoPua said:
and i keep changing my mind how to do it. everytime i come up with what seems like a good plan i triple check it and find out some reason it sucks. i can get most anywhere on this coast pretty easy. my latest plan was to get to roanoke va and hop out cos i read they have alot of trains but the more i think and check the shittier that sounds. so anyway i'm coming from buffalo ny and hoping someone'll help me. and i don't care what a newb i sound like, thats exactly what i am sooo yeah i think i'm done typing now.

Okay, brother bear, check it out:
1. from buffalo, get on a west bound train.
2. take said westbound train to chicago. in the event you get pulled off, find another west bound train or, alternately, hitchhike. public transit is sometimes an option, too.
3. once in chicago, find a BNSF or UP yard. i suggest finding the yard that originates the highest number of west bound trains.
4. board another west bound train.
5. repeat step 2, only replace "chicago" with los angeles/lathrop/oakland/portland/seattle.

EXPERT MODE: ride a southbound train out of Chicago to New Orleans and take the UP Sunset Route back.
SUPREME EXPERT MODE: ride the NS225 out of Atlanta, make the UP interchange and ride the newly symboled ZAILC all the way into California.
God of Iron Mode: ride the whole Sunset while sitting on top of doublestack container.

cxr - hurr durr

ipoPua

Reaction score
i didnt know about the 10, tht fits in perfectly with wht i'd like to hit. thank you man. and cxr you obviously know what youre talking about, i unfortunately don't. pretty much all latin to me lol, but thank you! i've got my way figured from d.c. onward, and i'll sort out the rest in the next few days. if i get this fast food job im hoping for for a couple weeks i could probably talk my girlfriend into a road trip that far. if not, i'll figure it somehow! thanks guys youre great. keep it light!

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score

tldr-help me get west? prease?

Make a post on Craig's list and look at ride shares on there...or get a piece of cardboard and stand at an onramp...

Reactions: ipoPua

Jawline

Reaction score
Plan out your route ahead of time. Make a craigslist post with the date you wanna get out with a couple possible destinations. Then start hitchin west, if youre lucky youll get a call and get picked up on yer way.

Or you could just hang out in the north, cause its really not that cold up here right now.

ipoPua

Reaction score
definitely going to florida, i love it there and have family. i wasnt planning to bother with craigslist but maybe i'll see if i can get down to virginia or so from there, couldnt hurt t make a post anyway. i decided i'll stay til my birthday, cos im born on leap year and its only my fifth actual birthday so why not. thanks yaaallll

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
There is free mega bus right now, look up the code, I forgot it. Free bus rides south should help.

Reactions: ayyyjayyy

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads