Coronavirus Should We Worry? By CHJ | Page 5 | Squat the Planet

Coronavirus Should We Worry? By CHJ

D

Deleted member 27861

No I’m not saying that. I don’t even know quite what that means. There is a lot of good information available online and I was summarizing it. The issue is not that it has a staggeringly high death rate but that it is still bad enough and spreading fast enough that a lot of people will need critical care all at once , more than the health care system can handle. That’s why the economy is collapsing right now as everyone tries to get away from it. It will not be over soon- so say all the scientists- and I think its going to have to have other huge effects we can’t even think of now, as it goes on.

Well the airborne AIDS thing was a joke. Like, "It's so bad, it might as well be airborne AIDS!"

cozmic

Reaction score
Some young people are immunocompromised or have other conditions like asthma, diabetes or others they may not even know about especially in countries like the u.s. where health care is not great.

Something I would like to add is that I recently read an article of someone who is young, was healthy, and then he almost died of this. Unfortunately I did not save the link. He had symptoms and there were no tests available. He just kept getting worse, and when that happened the doctors encouraged him to self-isolate. He did. Then he got to a critical point, drove to the hospital, and he collapsed when he got out of the car. He could have died if he didn't go.

We still don't know everything about this virus yet. Some people are surviving just fine, others are dying. It is starting to appear that some people have something different about their immune systems that is helping out with combating this and a lot of other people do not. Even if you're young and healthy there's still a chance you could be the next one checking into the morgue.

Loth Lorien

Reaction score
Something I would like to add is that I recently read an article of someone who is young, was healthy, and then he almost died of this. Unfortunately I did not save the link. He had symptoms and there were no tests available. He just kept getting worse, and when that happened the doctors encouraged him to self-isolate. He did. Then he got to a critical point, drove to the hospital, and he collapsed when he got out of the car. He could have died if he didn't go.

We still don't know everything about this virus yet. Some people are surviving just fine, others are dying. It is starting to appear that some people have something different about their immune systems that is helping out with combating this and a lot of other people do not. Even if you're young and healthy there's still a chance you could be the next one checking into the morgue.
This is what has me so freaked out. I have been living inside for years now and got a square job. I'm an electrician. They have decided our work is essential. I agree that it is, within reason. Many of the men I work with find this situation laughable. I have chosen to stop going to work. But now more than ever. I miss just living this lifestyle so I could be bugged out in a field somewhere. Thank you for sharing and if you find the article. Please share. Thanks

D

Deleted member 13433

A surprising amount of the men I work with also feel this is a joke, that in two weeks it will all be over, and when I tell them that, no... in two weeks the numbers will easily be double what they are today, I get told no, your wrong... Trump's got this under control.

So, I also decided to take two weeks off, once I found out that I could do so yesterday at the plant.

The timing could not be better, since I just accepted a new job at the plant that gets me off the assembly line, and on to a forklift... where essentially I ride around and move/deliver parts throughout the plant, the timing is good.

Lately, I muse the lifestyle of those living on the fringe as well....

I really like the idea of truly being free, but then I really like my current situation too.

So, I'm looking at the numbers right now on a global scale:

CLOSED CASES

Cases which had an outcome:

Recovered / Discharged
137,364 (83%)

Deaths
28,791 (17%)

That 17% number is climbing every day.

That is the part that really scares me................... because that is a pretty high percentage if you ask me.

D

Deleted member 13433

I was just telling someone the same thing, that it's one thing if I get it, but something completely different if my parents get it.

I have a friend, she just moved near Seattle, from Connecticut, and her son who lived in Brooklyn NY, he's 44 years old I think.... he's got it, and he's got it bad.

Very difficult to breath, can't walk.... does not look good, and my friend is having a tough time trying to get to Brooklyn from WA... this is precisely why I never left my aging parents, not passing judgement but we kind of need each other now, as opposed to 20 years ago.

this is where I get my numbers from:

18% now death rate, wonder if it will break 25% or go even higher.....

All these folks saying this is nothing to worry about, that it will be over in no time at all, my moneys on a different outcome, and one that is not good.

Is anyone here within the S.T.P. community who is being directly affected, or know someone who is ??

Dana's son in Brooklyn is the first one for me, where the out come does not look good.
I think three people at the plant on assembly line got it, man I am glad I got out of there !!!

D

Deleted member 13433

Well, yes... I can see that but at the same time - that won't be known until maybe this time next year.

Many tout low death percentages based on total cases vs. total deaths, but to me that is misleading - because one cannot predict what the outcome will be of the total cases, while if one goes by closed cases - to me anyway it makes more sense, because it is based on what has happened as opposed to what might happen.

Indeed !! One can't be too careful in public places where the sick frequent, that's for damn sure !!

Good Luck :)

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Animal COVID-19 update: So it is possible for dogs to get COVID-19, but not at all easy, and dogs are at lower risk than you are, but cats and ferrets are very susceptible:

"We found that SARS-CoV-2 replicates poorly in dogs, pigs, chickens, and ducks, but efficiently in ferrets and cats. We found that the virus transmits in cats via respiratory droplets."

D

Deleted member 13433

@Older Than Dirt, do you have any opinion on this stat here ??
I mean, if Iam reading this right, that's a death rate of 50 % correct ??

I just want to be sure I am understanding this correctly.
I'll be back here later, as it's play time in the garden with Loki the dog now........

But if that is 50% whoa..... this is going to be devestating and unlike anything we have ever seen.

Be Safe friend !!

WORLD / COUNTRIES / UNITED STATES
Last updated: April 02, 2020, 16:14 GMT
tn_us-flag.gif

United States
Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:
Recovered:

Older Than Dirt

Banned
Reaction score
Death rate is deaths divided by cases (meaning positive tests, not hospitalizations), so those numbers would give us a death rate of 2.4% (5,345/227,061).

BUT bear in mind only folks with symptoms are getting tested due to the test shortage. Many if not most COV cases are mildish, in that folks feel really really bad but don't seek hospital care, or don't feel much at all.

A NYC couple i know are pretty sure they had it, my man was noticeably short of breath on the phone as he was telling me he was much better now. They never got tested.

So we can assume there are at least four or five times as many cases as positive tests, so the true death rate is probably lower.

But even if that's correct, COVID-19 is still many times more lethal than annual flus that kill around 40-60,000 every year in the US, and to which we all have some natural immunity (unlike this new virus- that's why you will sometimes hear it called a "novel coronavirus").

I think you are maybe looking at deaths compared to discharges to get 50%? What those two numbers tell us is still scary: of those sick enough to be hospitalized, 34% died (5,345 / (5,345 + 10,265).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13433

Gotcha - and II also saw how my calculation was way way off, if I was to go by a percentage based on Closed Cases [cases where there has been an outcome one way of the othere...] it would have been these two figures added together below, and then you can compare the Recovered to Deaths, which is probably closer to 25 % as far as Closed Cases go - which, yesh...... sounds horrible !!
Deaths:
Recovered:

But thank you for your response, and I understand now how these figures are calclated.

Yes, it's bad... Got an aquaintence in Brooklyn, 44 years old, in very bad shape - came up on him real fast, him and his friend.... so they got it together more than likely.

Just saw the UPS man, he is really concerned as well.
Told me he's only working because he has to.

II told him I left my assembly line job - no way was I going to become a statistic, as that's a breeding ground for disease on a good day, and as luck would have it II scored a Froklift Job that i put in for a while back, and I'll start on Monday after Easter, so that's acceptable - just me and my tow motor.... that I can deal with.

Man, I got a bad feeling this ain't ending like they think - or hope - it will, I'm thinking more like end of summer maybe.

Problem is many view this as a joke, or "oh it will be over next week"...

No, it won't....

Be Safe Friend !!

Older Than Dirt

Banned
Reaction score
This definitely isn't going to be over any time this year, unless we get very lucky and the virus dies off as warmer weather comes. Even then, it will be back in fall when it gets cold again.

The public-health effort is to slow down the rate of infection and death enough that the healthcare system can keep up, buying time to develop effective treatments (we hope), and a vaccine (at the soonest next spring-summer), and develop enough herd immunity among recovered cases to care for the sick, and have an economy again.

The US is fucking up big-time compared to other rich countries on most of this, but so far has a fairly low death rate due to heroic efforts in some states.

A lot of people are going to die throughout this year no matter what.

D

Deleted member 13433

Yeah, and there's a good chance we will know those people, assuming we are lucky enough to survive ourselves....

This is - by far - the very first time in my life that I am nervous, and suddenly returning to my faith.

Older Than Dirt

Banned
Reaction score
1586536810432.png

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: Juan Derlust

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
I just recovered from what I am pretty sure was Covid-19.I broke our thermometer on day 2 so I never registered a fever on us grown-ups, my stepkid had a 102 or 3 fever earlier on. She woke up uncontrollably coughing and choking on her mucus one of the first nights, having a difficult time breathing. I was considering taking her to ER but instead her mom stayed up with her and the next nights weren't nearly so bad. She was sick a little under a week total with a little bit of cough for several days after that.
I had a sore throat for two days and then got terrible congestion for the next week, hocking up a lung every morning, bed deep cough. I was pretty scared of it turning into pneumonia and it easily could of have. I am sure other people here have had pneumonia before and I can tell you it sucks. It can totally kill a homeless person. Also I got pinkeye (1-3% of cases have pinkeye) for close to a week straight really badly. Diarrhea for several days. I had bad body aches and tiredness, also a week after getting sick I had a day where I couldn't sit up because it gave me a terrible worst-of-my-life splitting headache like the pressure was going up in my braincase, ditto if I coughed.
My stepdaughter had diarrhea too and pinkeye though hers was milder. My wife had symptoms the mildest, a deep dry cough mostly plus tiredness.
You don't turn green from this illness or explode or start tearing people apart for their brains or something cool like that. So it not only sucks, but is mundane as fuck.

Fortunately I was able to take advantege of the FFCRA Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Employee Paid Leave Rights | U.S. Department of Labor - https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employee-paid-leave emergency sick leave.
I feel like a fool for not taking all 80 hours, I ended up with 53 hours and the ass-eating outfit I work for made me take PTO and regular paid sick time for the days before I sent in my FFCRA request form, as well as deducting drive time I charged for whilst sick.
On the other hand, I've worked almost not at all in the last 3 weeks and still netted full checks, so who cares I guess. But I do caution everybody to not be an idiot like me and say you're still sick until the bitter end, at a minimum two weeks or more away from filing your form.
FFCRA leave protects you if you are "experiencing symptoms and seeking diagnosis" so keep in mind you don't actually need to see a doctor to get your paid leave. Also the feds have upped everyone's unemployment payments temporarily, so there are some other options out there for free money.
I want to caution everybody as regards to online media minimizing the severity of this virus, keep in mind that it is in Orange Mango's interest for this unpleasant little episode to be concluded ASAP. Economy recovers, the farshtunkeners go "woooohooo" and he breezes to reelection on the backs of the troglodyte masses. Much of the media claiming "oh it's just the flu, never mind folks, carry on" stems from right-wing sources with an interest in protecting Big Cheeto.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 13433

Boy, after hearing that.... I wonder if I had a super super super mild case of what he had, where all those symptoms were barely a blip on the radar, because not all at once, I did experience one at a time what this person did except it was very very mild.

Wonder if my immune system kept it in check, like it does with some folks who get it without even knowing ??

I am also out of work 80 hours unpaid I just split because the assembly line was looking like a bad plague was taking over.

But right now I feel great.

Acupuncture tomorrow to help keep my immune system super strong, and back to work - new job - driving a forklift - which should not only be fun, but keep me away from the masses on the assembly line.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads