Coronavirus Should We Worry? By CHJ | Page 4 | Squat the Planet

Coronavirus Should We Worry? By CHJ

cozmic

Reaction score
No shortage of goods at any of the oddball one-off markets

I'm going to agree with this. In my area megastores ran out of toilet paper and canned/dry goods really fast. I decided to go to a smaller store in a more rural area and I got everything I wanted except for one thing (and that thing is probably considered a luxury right now, so it's fine, I'll live.)

Reactions: Juan Derlust

roughdraft

Reaction score
i really lucked out being where i am in small plainstown Colombia. we're starting a "quarantine drill" at 8pm tonight through 5am Tuesday.

Yet, everything was pretty chill today. all the shelves are fully stocked, people are out.... very glad i am not in Bogotá thw capital city.

D

Deleted member 13433

whoa... so
roughdraft
you are in Columbia the country ??
wow...

Older Than Dirt
Gotcha....
Yeah, I'm trying to cool out... I only now go to the Plant when I feel like it, Monday I'll make some phone calls and see if I can walk at age 55 and get a decent pension rolling in...

Your advice here is right on the money:

"Worry eats up the mind to no purpose. A little fear is a healthy thing, because it makes us careful, but we need courage in tough times as well. "

Cheers friend....

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
whoa.... Italy is really spiking now: Coronavirus Update (Live): 274,413 Cases and 11,357 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Also, CT is shut down as far as non-essential stuff goes, NY as well...

I would say that now from my standpoint, yes - this is something we should worry about.

Older Than Dirt
You holding up ok ??

This is the link from John Hopkins? I'm using to keep up with numbers it illustrates the global location nice.

Your link is goodinfo....

I'm pretty much screwed. Being in the vicinity of chitown. Ha... The stores are not completely bare but close to half or a bit more some days. I been to the deli a few times though and they are stocked 70% or more fruit and produce... though... damn large pack of strawberries jumped to 8 bucks... dammit... I like strawberries.

Anyway. Got a nice spot in the woods with a primitive shelter up against a large Fallen tree... to chill at with friends as a secondary option. And when things get desperate i'll pull out some of my hidden bottles and just get drunk down by the RIVER!

Peace take care ya'll.

• Epic
D

Deleted member 13433

Odin
Yup, I got two well stocked liquor cabinate's which I have not opened in many many years, as I actually stopped all hard liquor consumption by 2011... but I saved everything I had rather than toss it, just in case.... and I got a bad feeling, just in case is going to come sooner rather than later.
*But that's all last resort/end of the world.
I had 4 pints of Guinness Pub Draught tonight while out in the garden with me dog, Sunday I'll have my last two pints of BAD SONS
LUPEFIED

DOUBLE IPA

which is a local beer brewed on the other side of town.... and that's going to be it, as I want to stay sober so I keep my immune system running at full capacity while this virus is slowly taking names and numbers.....

Be Safe Everybody !!

Big George + Loki the Dog xoxoxo

D

Deleted member 27861

This thread is like my daily laxative because anxiety makes me gotta shit.

A doctor I listen to recommends that when you're going through a crisis (which COVID-19 is one), you should designate anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour a day, early on in the day, to discuss it, think about it, and plan for it.

Then for the remainder of the day, you follow through with the plan, and you refuse to think about the crisis until the designated hour the next day.

So I'm probably am gonna limit myself to visiting this forum and talking about this to when I get up in the morning.

I haven't forgotten about the online book club, I'm gonna work on setting up the Discord tomorrow, for anyone who is interested. I'm just trying to decide if it should be like a StP-focused Discord, or one based around a game community I want to be a part of, like this game called Project Gorgon I've been thinking about playing.

youngbuckwithapickuptruck

Reaction score
is this the general corona thread here? i have questions:

norcal hobo,

i have already gotten to the woods. they are closing the woods but i am on private property.

does anyone have a guide on growing food here for this region? i should google this. it is a property between the central valley and some
big mountains above us. a big river flowing behind us. flat land around us the soil is red, dusty and very rocky and shallow. im sure many of you have grown weed here.

any guides? no seeds but lots of neighbors and it is springtime!

google searches for food northern california growing guide or just any basic printable guide yeileded pintrest and anazon book sales. can anyone quickly recommend a general survival food growing guide?

is there a corona virus general thread on here that i am un aware of?

local traffic has been bros in trucks coming to dirtbike and then leaving

void gaze

Reaction score
I want to point out a few things that EVEN the youths should be concerned about:

Some young people are immunocompromised or have other conditions like asthma, diabetes or others they may not even know about especially in countries like the u.s. where health care is not great.

People who can survive if treated soon may not be able to get treated. That’s because the u.s. is not flattening the curve. There are not enough beds doctors or equipment for the number of cases that will soon require hospitalization- it’s the rice on the chessboard thing.

People who survive serious cases may have life-altering injuries and conditions resulting from the illness.

Recommended social distance means that two people should not be able to reach each other with arms stretched out at full length. It was thought at one point to only travel in droplets but now it’s increasingly seen as generally airborne, i.e. if you’re breathing you can transmit it. Shit and other bodily fluids seem to carry it too.

Asymptomatic young people seem to be a major factor in the spread. So even if you feel fine you need to stay away from *all* other humans as much as possible. This is one of a number of factors that are also producing a mental health crisis.

A lot is not known with certainty because it’s all so new and happening so fast. What we do know already is pretty bad. I’m not going to get into the political side of it too much because I will blow a gasket but suffice to say the response in the u.s. has been/is being totally botched. This is why we basically all should be social distancing and sheltering in place right now. It’s here, it’s everywhere or it will be soon and if everyone gets it all at once it’s much worse for them.

And finally it’s NOT the flu- symptoms are flu like but the similarity pretty much ends there. It’s far deadlier, about 30x (though estimates vary because again it’s all super chaotic right now) and at least twice as contagious. The flu has been around for millennia so not only do vaccines exist but so does a certain level of natural herd immunity that has built up over at least 100 generations. This bug is not even remotely related to flu basically aside from just being a virus. There is no vaccine and no immunity.

It’s probably not the end of the world but it’s definitely not hysteria. It’s a bona fide Huge Fucking Deal that is just getting started. The social effects are making life harder for everyone which in turn contributes to the spread and the inaccessibility of care.

It will not be over soon. It will either be too much all at once, or a lot going on for what will seem like forever. Either way the timescale is part of it. No one should be expecting a return to normal. I think a LOT is going to change while it’s happening. A different society will emerge. We will all be traumatized by this for the rest of our lives. We will all lose people we know. We will almost certainly, all of us, sooner or later, be infected. China and South Korea flattened the curve. The u.s. and Europe seem to be going in the opposite direction. Containment has utterly failed. Despite the shutdown of so many places, people continue to be packed into prisons and ICE facilities which are already becoming new epicenters of the disease, which will spread back out through the staff. It’s the age of corona.

Everyone please be super careful out there. This is not a fucking drill. It is an out of control global disaster and each one of us can make choices that will impact the outcome in our lives and those around us. Be brave, be strong, be aware, be careful; take care of yourselves and each other.

Reaction score
anyone have sanitary advice for a shared porto potty over a hole in the ground?

its gonna rain soon and we may have to use it. it will rarely be used by others but it will be used by others. how do you keep fecal matter aerosol at bay? cover all the shit with dirt? i havent eveb been inside it yet. blue plastic portopotty over a hole. i am on private property in the woods and i am sure my host would rather me use outhouse than ddigging gopher (poop) holes out back on the neighbors motocycle trails

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Lime (the garden kind not the fruit) over the shit is best, sawdust is also good, woodstove/fire ashes, or dirt if nothing else is available. If there are flies, you need to use more of what you are using. A smallish shovelful of lime after every shit should be enough, a 50 lb bag kept dry will hold you for a while (months).

Wipe the seat with bleach diluted 50/50 with water, and you should be good, BUT if you are sharing a shitter with folks with COVID-19, you are probably living close to them, so you are going to get infected, regardless of toilet seats. If they are virus negative, normal cleanliness will be fine.

If folks of doubtful status share the shitter, but not your living space, you should wipe any surface they could have touched before touching it.

This is a respiratory disease, and folks' butts are the least of our worries right now. It's their coughs, and their breath, that we need to be scared of.

Try to allow some time in between uses, but if there are a lot of fecal aerosols, folks are probably already going to do that.

Last edited:
  • Useful

Reaction score
we are isolated except for the guest shitter. the owner has guest over from time to time.

i have no bleach, i have no lime. ill go inside and see if poo needs to be covered. we will have lots of ash soon.

EDIT
turns out it is a self container shitter with a single pile of liquidy-diarreha-looking poop in a bath of blue stuff and tp. anyone know about this blue stuff? ill look it up. ill also aersol spray disinfectant sanitizer the room and then leave the door cracked open and consider using it when the rain comes

EDIT
blue stuff contains :
  • Biocides
    Biocides are the “active ingredient” which inhibit the growth of odor-producing gram-positive bacteria. Gram-positive bacteria are responsible for many bad odors in our everyday life, so these biocides help to shut down the rapid growth of bacteria that can create an unpleasant smell in portable restrooms.
  • DYE
  • FRAGRANCE
  • SUBFACTANTS they help dilute fragrance into the liquid

Last edited:
  • Best of Luck!

void gaze

Reaction score
Lime (the garden kind not the fruit) over the shit is best, sawdust is also good, woodstove/fire ashes, or dirt if nothing else is available. If there are flies, you need to use more of what you are using. A smallish shovelful of lime after every shit should be enough, a 50 lb bag kept dry will hold you for a while (months).

Wipe the seat with bleach diluted 50/50 with water, and you should be good, BUT if you are sharing a shitter with folks with COVID-19, you are probably living close to them, so you are going to get infected, regardless of toilet seats. If they are virus negative, normal cleanliness will be fine.

If folks of doubtful status share the shitter, but not your living space, you should wipe any surface they could have touched before touching it.

This is a respiratory disease, and folks' butts are the least of our worries right now. It's their coughs, and their breath, that we need to be scared of.

Try to allow some time in between uses, but if there are a lot of fecal aerosols, folks are probably already going to do that.

I have to contradict you. Chinese researchers found much more airborne virus in patients bathrooms leading them to conclude that the virus enters and passes the digestive tract.

• Agree
D

Deleted member 27861

I want to point out a few things that EVEN the youths should be concerned about:

Some young people are immunocompromised or have other conditions like asthma, diabetes or others they may not even know about especially in countries like the u.s. where health care is not great.

People who can survive if treated soon may not be able to get treated. That’s because the u.s. is not flattening the curve. There are not enough beds doctors or equipment for the number of cases that will soon require hospitalization- it’s the rice on the chessboard thing.

People who survive serious cases may have life-altering injuries and conditions resulting from the illness.

Recommended social distance means that two people should not be able to reach each other with arms stretched out at full length. It was thought at one point to only travel in droplets but now it’s increasingly seen as generally airborne, i.e. if you’re breathing you can transmit it. Shit and other bodily fluids seem to carry it too.

Asymptomatic young people seem to be a major factor in the spread. So even if you feel fine you need to stay away from *all* other humans as much as possible. This is one of a number of factors that are also producing a mental health crisis.

A lot is not known with certainty because it’s all so new and happening so fast. What we do know already is pretty bad. I’m not going to get into the political side of it too much because I will blow a gasket but suffice to say the response in the u.s. has been/is being totally botched. This is why we basically all should be social distancing and sheltering in place right now. It’s here, it’s everywhere or it will be soon and if everyone gets it all at once it’s much worse for them.

And finally it’s NOT the flu- symptoms are flu like but the similarity pretty much ends there. It’s far deadlier, about 30x (though estimates vary because again it’s all super chaotic right now) and at least twice as contagious. The flu has been around for millennia so not only do vaccines exist but so does a certain level of natural herd immunity that has built up over at least 100 generations. This bug is not even remotely related to flu basically aside from just being a virus. There is no vaccine and no immunity.

It’s probably not the end of the world but it’s definitely not hysteria. It’s a bona fide Huge Fucking Deal that is just getting started. The social effects are making life harder for everyone which in turn contributes to the spread and the inaccessibility of care.

It will not be over soon. It will either be too much all at once, or a lot going on for what will seem like forever. Either way the timescale is part of it. No one should be expecting a return to normal. I think a LOT is going to change while it’s happening. A different society will emerge. We will all be traumatized by this for the rest of our lives. We will all lose people we know. We will almost certainly, all of us, sooner or later, be infected. China and South Korea flattened the curve. The u.s. and Europe seem to be going in the opposite direction. Containment has utterly failed. Despite the shutdown of so many places, people continue to be packed into prisons and ICE facilities which are already becoming new epicenters of the disease, which will spread back out through the staff. It’s the age of corona.

Everyone please be super careful out there. This is not a fucking drill. It is an out of control global disaster and each one of us can make choices that will impact the outcome in our lives and those around us. Be brave, be strong, be aware, be careful; take care of yourselves and each other.

So basically, what you're saying is, it's airborne AIDS, and it's game over man.

I guess I better start reading up on how to build a house and stay with my family through this.

Still I have hope for SOMETHING to be done about it.

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Most outdoor/outhouse shitters are well enough ventilated that airborne virus passed as gas while shitting is going to dissipate fast enough to pose minimal risk, just like virus passed while breathing while shitting.

But yes, if you can smell the last user's shit as you approach, and they have possibly been in the outside world, you should wait a while, and clean all surfaces.

So far there is no evidence of any transmission other than respiratory, but of course that could change, and it is wise to be paranoid as fuck until otherwise advised by competent folks like the CDC or your local Health Dept

The chemical toilet will get very nasty pretty fast with daily use by several people. Google "slit latrine", or find the Rainbow Gathering latrine rap, and dig a shitter away from your living quarters and water supply, but close enough to make it when in urgent need or raining. You can get a 30-40 pound bag of lime at Home Depot or any hardware or garden store for maybe $15-25 bucks. Or use dirt, sawdust, ashes, etc.

• Useful
D

Deleted member 27861

I never should have left Colorado. It's gonna be hard being holed up with my dad for two months or two years or however long it takes. Guy is an anxiety-enabler.

Edit: But I shouldn't think like that. I love my dad, and I guess it's better out here in the country in times like these than working some factory job and living in a city. I'll just need to make some adjustments to the house, maybe look into growing food.

Last edited:

void gaze

Reaction score
So basically, what you're saying is, it's airborne AIDS, and it's game over man.

I guess I better start reading up on how to build a house and stay with my family through this.

Still I have hope for SOMETHING to be done about it.

No I’m not saying that. I don’t even know quite what that means. There is a lot of good information available online and I was summarizing it. The issue is not that it has a staggeringly high death rate but that it is still bad enough and spreading fast enough that a lot of people will need critical care all at once , more than the health care system can handle. That’s why the economy is collapsing right now as everyone tries to get away from it. It will not be over soon- so say all the scientists- and I think its going to have to have other huge effects we can’t even think of now, as it goes on.

D

Deleted member 13433

I was just musing, but - I really wanted to edit something I had going in the Fuk Up The Economy thread, where I was musing about states breaking off and becoming countries.... but for some reason it's not possible.

So, why am I bringing this up here ??

Because the cases in NY are really starting to go up now, and whatever happens in NY comes to CT, since everywhere you look in CT along the coast there's an endless parade on cars with NY plates on them.

I know my views on this are not popular [states leaving the union] but I for one would life if our boarders to NY were closed.

Nothing against NY, but I don't want to get sick.

This is not going to end well, and not end anytime soon.

I could be wrong, but I could be right.

Again, be safe everyone - don't do anything stupid !!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads