Coronavirus Should We Worry? By CHJ (3 Viewers)

Older Than Dirt

Vagabond
Hometown
Upstate
Most outdoor/outhouse shitters are well enough ventilated that airborne virus passed as gas while shitting is going to dissipate fast enough to pose minimal risk, just like virus passed while breathing while shitting.

But yes, if you can smell the last user's shit as you approach, and they have possibly been in the outside world, you should wait a while, and clean all surfaces.

So far there is no evidence of any transmission other than respiratory, but of course that could change, and it is wise to be paranoid as fuck until otherwise advised by competent folks like the CDC or your local Health Dept

The chemical toilet will get very nasty pretty fast with daily use by several people. Google "slit latrine", or find the Rainbow Gathering latrine rap, and dig a shitter away from your living quarters and water supply, but close enough to make it when in urgent need or raining. You can get a 30-40 pound bag of lime at Home Depot or any hardware or garden store for maybe $15-25 bucks. Or use dirt, sawdust, ashes, etc.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Wheat2020

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Hometown
Humboldt, TN
I never should have left Colorado. It's gonna be hard being holed up with my dad for two months or two years or however long it takes. Guy is an anxiety-enabler.

Edit: But I shouldn't think like that. I love my dad, and I guess it's better out here in the country in times like these than working some factory job and living in a city. I'll just need to make some adjustments to the house, maybe look into growing food.

Last edited:

void gaze

Hometown
Abbadon
So basically, what you're saying is, it's airborne AIDS, and it's game over man.

I guess I better start reading up on how to build a house and stay with my family through this.

Still I have hope for SOMETHING to be done about it.
No I’m not saying that. I don’t even know quite what that means. There is a lot of good information available online and I was summarizing it. The issue is not that it has a staggeringly high death rate but that it is still bad enough and spreading fast enough that a lot of people will need critical care all at once , more than the health care system can handle. That’s why the economy is collapsing right now as everyone tries to get away from it. It will not be over soon- so say all the scientists- and I think its going to have to have other huge effects we can’t even think of now, as it goes on.

OTTERWOLF

The Shabbos Goy
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Hometown
East Derby, CT
I was just musing, but - I really wanted to edit something I had going in the Fuk Up The Economy thread, where I was musing about states breaking off and becoming countries.... but for some reason it's not possible.

So, why am I bringing this up here ??

Because the cases in NY are really starting to go up now, and whatever happens in NY comes to CT, since everywhere you look in CT along the coast there's an endless parade on cars with NY plates on them.

I know my views on this are not popular [states leaving the union] but I for one would life if our boarders to NY were closed.

Nothing against NY, but I don't want to get sick.

This is not going to end well, and not end anytime soon.

I could be wrong, but I could be right.

Again, be safe everyone - don't do anything stupid !!

Wheat2020

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Hometown
Humboldt, TN
No I’m not saying that. I don’t even know quite what that means. There is a lot of good information available online and I was summarizing it. The issue is not that it has a staggeringly high death rate but that it is still bad enough and spreading fast enough that a lot of people will need critical care all at once , more than the health care system can handle. That’s why the economy is collapsing right now as everyone tries to get away from it. It will not be over soon- so say all the scientists- and I think its going to have to have other huge effects we can’t even think of now, as it goes on.
Well the airborne AIDS thing was a joke. Like, "It's so bad, it might as well be airborne AIDS!"

cozmic

Hometown
PNW
Some young people are immunocompromised or have other conditions like asthma, diabetes or others they may not even know about especially in countries like the u.s. where health care is not great.
Something I would like to add is that I recently read an article of someone who is young, was healthy, and then he almost died of this. Unfortunately I did not save the link. He had symptoms and there were no tests available. He just kept getting worse, and when that happened the doctors encouraged him to self-isolate. He did. Then he got to a critical point, drove to the hospital, and he collapsed when he got out of the car. He could have died if he didn't go.

We still don't know everything about this virus yet. Some people are surviving just fine, others are dying. It is starting to appear that some people have something different about their immune systems that is helping out with combating this and a lot of other people do not. Even if you're young and healthy there's still a chance you could be the next one checking into the morgue.

Hometown
oakland california
thnx for the toilet info.

the property i am on used to be a weed farm. there is lots of soil for planting. i need info on turning this into a garden. the time is now :0

okay, time to turn away from the phone and go hug the lady. peace yall

Loth Lorien

Lurker
Hometown
Portland, Oregon
Something I would like to add is that I recently read an article of someone who is young, was healthy, and then he almost died of this. Unfortunately I did not save the link. He had symptoms and there were no tests available. He just kept getting worse, and when that happened the doctors encouraged him to self-isolate. He did. Then he got to a critical point, drove to the hospital, and he collapsed when he got out of the car. He could have died if he didn't go.

We still don't know everything about this virus yet. Some people are surviving just fine, others are dying. It is starting to appear that some people have something different about their immune systems that is helping out with combating this and a lot of other people do not. Even if you're young and healthy there's still a chance you could be the next one checking into the morgue.
This is what has me so freaked out. I have been living inside for years now and got a square job. I'm an electrician. They have decided our work is essential. I agree that it is, within reason. Many of the men I work with find this situation laughable. I have chosen to stop going to work. But now more than ever. I miss just living this lifestyle so I could be bugged out in a field somewhere. Thank you for sharing and if you find the article. Please share. Thanks

OTTERWOLF

The Shabbos Goy
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Hometown
East Derby, CT
A surprising amount of the men I work with also feel this is a joke, that in two weeks it will all be over, and when I tell them that, no... in two weeks the numbers will easily be double what they are today, I get told no, your wrong... Trump's got this under control.

So, I also decided to take two weeks off, once I found out that I could do so yesterday at the plant.

The timing could not be better, since I just accepted a new job at the plant that gets me off the assembly line, and on to a forklift... where essentially I ride around and move/deliver parts throughout the plant, the timing is good.

Lately, I muse the lifestyle of those living on the fringe as well....

I really like the idea of truly being free, but then I really like my current situation too.

So, I'm looking at the numbers right now on a global scale:

CLOSED CASES

Cases which had an outcome:

Recovered / Discharged
137,364 (83%)

Deaths
28,791 (17%)

That 17% number is climbing every day.

That is the part that really scares me................... because that is a pretty high percentage if you ask me.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
Hometown
adrift
There's no reckoning until we have data. To conserve limited tests, they're only testing symptomatic individuals - kind of pointless if you ask me.

I'm not worried for myself so much as sickening other people
- even more than usual...

OTTERWOLF

The Shabbos Goy
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Hometown
East Derby, CT
I was just telling someone the same thing, that it's one thing if I get it, but something completely different if my parents get it.

I have a friend, she just moved near Seattle, from Connecticut, and her son who lived in Brooklyn NY, he's 44 years old I think.... he's got it, and he's got it bad.

Very difficult to breath, can't walk.... does not look good, and my friend is having a tough time trying to get to Brooklyn from WA... this is precisely why I never left my aging parents, not passing judgement but we kind of need each other now, as opposed to 20 years ago.

this is where I get my numbers from:

18% now death rate, wonder if it will break 25% or go even higher.....

All these folks saying this is nothing to worry about, that it will be over in no time at all, my moneys on a different outcome, and one that is not good.

Is anyone here within the S.T.P. community who is being directly affected, or know someone who is ??

Dana's son in Brooklyn is the first one for me, where the out come does not look good.
I think three people at the plant on assembly line got it, man I am glad I got out of there !!!

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
Hometown
adrift
Lethality will be disproportionate until we're in possession of all (or anything like) data; only those with dire symptoms are tested and/or hospitalized. My 60 year-old sister is an admin nurse at an LA County hospital. We really don't have much by way of actionable intelligence. Including governmental authority. What data we have is used to develop predictive models, not describe reality. Practice good hygiene, keep your hands away from your face, avoid contact as much as possible. Just like working with power tools, you can't be too careful.

OTTERWOLF

The Shabbos Goy
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Hometown
East Derby, CT
Well, yes... I can see that but at the same time - that won't be known until maybe this time next year.

Many tout low death percentages based on total cases vs. total deaths, but to me that is misleading - because one cannot predict what the outcome will be of the total cases, while if one goes by closed cases - to me anyway it makes more sense, because it is based on what has happened as opposed to what might happen.

Indeed !! One can't be too careful in public places where the sick frequent, that's for damn sure !!

Good Luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

First track of one of a solid album.
This shit is getting real, under self isolation - no, it's self quarantine now - thanks to some jerk who came to the Plant knowingly sick.
He has judged himself, as for me... my locker has been emptied because I am not putting up with that bullshit.
Looks like I just decided to take an early retirement, so on to greener pastures I go......
Be safe out there, perhaps we'll meet again when times are better.
I hope that y'all are good and safe wherever you may happen to be. Take care of yourselves, may the wind always be at your back <3
When Democrat and Republican politicians argue and fuck up so badly we end up taking 1st place in Plague Inc irl:

So, here's something great! After finally saying NO to eating carbs and sugar this morning (since that's mostly all there is to eat at home) and instead bought and ate vegetables, I actually don't have cravings anymore!

All I've eaten today is two sweet potatoes and some broccoli, and I don't have any food cravings, and I'm not lethargic!
Matt Derrick wrote on snailormoon's profile.
aww i really like your new profile picture.
Beautiful day to be alive and listen to the birds chirp, remembering to be grateful for what we have and not worry about what we have not.
Healthy in PDX. Back here after years to keep track of those bugging out and to check in on those still on the road.