Camping solo, and staying safe, need advice.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
it also depends some on what kind of bear you are dealing with and their temperament. black bear as opposed to a brown/grizzly/polar are usually pretty skittish and are more scared of humans than you are of them. however i only have personal experience with black bears. altho of course if it's a mama bear and her cubs, you want to give them as wide a berth as possible regardless.
worst time is spring when they come out of hibernation and are very hungry. just don't have any kind of foodstuff around your camp and make sure you cook your food and throw food waste a good deal aways from your camp.
----------
bears aren't generally predatory towards humans. a good dealing of maulings are because people get too close to the bears and their cubs i think, or when the bear feels you are a threat in someway. i wouldn't worry too much about a bear eating you in your hammock lol....just don't have any foodstuff on you or in your camp

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: East
P

pigpen

on top of proper food storage and having a dog by your side to alert you of unwanted visitors i would suggest keeping a fire going if possible.

also regardless of being a pacifist, you should seriously invest in a nice sharp fixed blade knife, a wet stone for sharpening and some bear mace.

good luck!

• Useful
Reactions: East

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads