boating from alaska to china | Squat the Planet

boating from alaska to china

Robot

Reaction score
what are the chances of just getting a little motor boat and booking ass from alaska to china across the bearing straits? just a curiosity question.

I

IBRRHOBO

NONE. First off, ur dealing w/some of the coldest and most dangerous waters there are. You are also not going to reach China. You will, if you even survived end up in Siberia or off the Kamchatka Peninsula. Along this area are some of the most sensitive post-Soviet military installations. do svydanya.

Also, you can't just start circumnavigating international waters. You'll have to pass at least a Quatermaster's 3 & 2, obtain a merchant marine card; if it's your own vessel you'll have to become a captain (lots of bullshit here as I was in the US Navy and merchant marines out of Dutch Harbor). If you fail to obtain any of these and nautical insurace you face prison time both here and in the nation that you 'invade' upon their territorial waters.

derekja

Reaction score
Agree with most of IBRRHOBO's post. Have to differ on the requirements on your own vessel, though. Captain's papers are actually only required if carrying paying passengers. I've crewed on a couple ocean passages on sailboats and have yet to crew with anyone with formal papers. Nice for insurance, but not essential. Nor is insurance essential. Most marinas require it, but it's not a requirement for entry. *shrug* probably about the only place left that you can go out and kill yourself through lack of experience without breaking any laws.

But, the basic point is sound. Not bloody likely on surviving from Alaska to China on a little motor boat.

I

IBRRHOBO

Agree with most of IBRRHOBO's post. Have to differ on the requirements on your own vessel, though. Captain's papers are actually only required if carrying paying passengers. I've crewed on a couple ocean passages on sailboats and have yet to crew with anyone with formal papers. Nice for insurance, but not essential. Nor is insurance essential. Most marinas require it, but it's not a requirement for entry. *shrug* probably about the only place left that you can go out and kill yourself through lack of experience without breaking any laws.

But, the basic point is sound. Not bloody likely on surviving from Alaska to China on a little motor boat.

good point there! you are absolutely right!

i've never done the long voyage sailboat adventure. How was it? all of mine have been in the USN or MM. IS3 and QM3 respectively.

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
yeah your not gonna make it threw the baring strait with a small ass boat and no real experience.
now I'm the guy you wanna talk to if you need crew for a nice sized sailboat cause I would love to sail around the world. but even my crazy ass isn't gonna try to take on the strait in a dingy.

but I do want to go up there and try to get on a crab boat.

zarathustra

Reaction score
have you ever seen "the most dangerous catch" on discovery or w/e?
good shit.

oh, yeah...your plan is good. if you're planning on dying.

look at a map, notice where alaska is, notice where china is.

sorry to be a dick...

I think a truly epic journey would be to start in Europe and follow the silk road down into China...all hitching/freight hopping. I'm spending a year in Taiwan, so I'll know the language fluently. I wonder if it's possible to hop freight in China? Or is there even a point. It might just be easier to pay absurdly prices for tickets...who knows.

zarathustra

Reaction score
I was actually talking about the guy who wanted to go across the strait in an inflatable... :)

the crab fishing is incredibly lucrative. I'd do that!

I

IBRRHOBO

if ur trying to get into fishing, look up the millionare's club in seattle. they got my first contract with alekskya. all free, too! brush up on ur boatswainmate's 3 & 2.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
Oyster farm work is OK, same as Fish farms (disease aside), Crab fishing is hard as hell....i do like to chill..... a lot. If is was to go anywhere, it would be in a sailboat. I'm not even looking to get a metal boat, or anything without a sail. I want to get somewhere without paying for oil, or at least keep the oil consumption down.

Robot

Reaction score
i was actually just curious if you needed papers or some shit like that. not planning on it. just hypothetical stuff. btw, i forgot, it goes to russia, not china. plus i was also curious about the waters, and how long it would take to get across.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
alaskas seward peninsula and russias chutosk peninsula are only about 50 miles apart, but with a you got to expect minimum horse power and up to 4-6 miles per gallon and fighting waves and what not youll need a bunch of extra gas tanks and expect to be going about 40 miles an hour at your best (again..against strong waves) so youd get there if you didnt freeze in about 3-5 hours. Good luck if you are going through with it wouldnt suggest it but hey...and yes you would def need papers, not too sure which ones though

Rise 609

Reaction score
Wider I think it's time to put an end to this post. I think this is even more far fetched then your favorite boat trip everyone takes on the trash barge to Hawaii. Or maybe we could just hop in those inflatable kayaks of yours and prove everyone wrong that it is possible to go from the US to China by raft.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads