Boat Hitchhiking

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
my sister and i were thinking of different ways we could travel for our next excersion coming up.... weve both hitched for years now and shes not a fan of hopping freight... but volunteering to be on a boat crew for a ride sounds fucking awesome... never thought of it before, only thought of sneaking on trash boats... great post

Karalaine

Reaction score
ive hitched one boat, well it was a jet ski. there was a guy on the docks drinking beer i asked him for a ride to this island in the middle of the colombia river, he said he was too buzzed to operate his boat but hed take me on his seadoo. it was scary we almost sunk and my cat i was traveling with clawed the shit out of me.

Reactions: Hillbilly Castro

makan kotoran

Reaction score
I have two experiances with this.. first times me and a couple of mates were up in port douglas (north of cairns, QLD, AUS) and decided we wanted to try. It was easy as shit. me and old mate went down to the marina and just sat there smoking and staring at fish becuase the gate was locked. then this bloke came over and enquired as to what e were doing, I told him what the go was, and we talked for a bit. it turned out we grew up in the the same small as town and. he said he'd take us out if we just got our own food, learnt how to sail while we were onboard and cooked. so we dumpstered heaps of food, stole some more, bought some goon, and of we toddled. we ended up being grotty yachties for like 2 weeks and going to all these mean as island and snorkeling, and he constantly got me blazed and tuaght me how to sail.
good on ya Simon!!

second experiance. trying from darwin (Aus) to indoneasia, found a bloke named haggis who said we could ride if we fixed his boat. spent nearly 2 months fixing his riging and puting up a brand new boom and all (learnt shitloads).
then 2 weeks before we were going to leave a cyclone sunk the freshly sea worthied boat.
haggised.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
can't wait to hitch the seas. do you sometimes get compensated monetarily for doin some work on the hitch?

No, you're often expected to chip in for your food. The only place you're likely to be able to get some cash is if you help grinding and scraping paint when the boat's hauled out, if they're in a yard that allows owner work. They're paying the yard by the day , so it's worth paying an extra hand to get launched faster.

Paid deckhand positions are possible on vessels doing charter work (booze cruises, sport fishing etc.) but often you're working mostly for tips (which can be really generous if you're cleaning up a rich guy's puke.)

makan kotoran

Reaction score
cargo boats are easy to get a free ride on if you hang out with the crew for a few days before hand and help them.

but yachts are my presonal favorite. here are the times of years most of the yachties are cruising in different places.

I hope this helps.

YACHTS LEAVE FROM

TO

PERIOD

AFRICA
TO
Mombasa Med.
SE Asia Aug - Sept
Sept
Dar es Salaam Med. Aug - Sept
Durban Indian Ocean
Cape Town Apr - Aug
Nov - Mar
Cape Town Indian Ocean
Caribbean, Brazil Jan - Mar
Dec - Mar
BRAZIL TO
All areas Caribbean Jan - Mar
CARIBBEAN TO
St Lucia South Pacific
U.S. West Coast
U.S. East Coast
Europe Jan - May
Jan - Mar
Apr - May
Apr - May
Beguia, Grenada South Pacific
U.S. West Coast Jan - Apr
Jan - Apr
Virgin Isles, St Martin, Antigua Europe
U.S. East Coast Apr - May
Apr - May
U.S.A. TO
San Diego Mexico
South Pacific
Med. Jan - Mar
Dec - Mar
Dec
Ft. Lauderdale Caribbean Oct - Nov
Newport Caribbean
Europe Oct - Nov
May - July
PANAMA TO
Panama U.S. West Coast
South Pacific
Caribbean Jan - Apr
Jan - Apr
Jan - Jun
MEXICO TO
All areas South Pacific Feb - Apr
COSTA RICA TO
Golfito South Pacific
Caribbean Feb - Apr
Feb - Apr
SOUTH PACIFIC TO
Hawaii U.S. West Coast
South Pacific Feb - Jun
Feb - Jun
Guam U.S. West Coast
South Pacific Mar - Jun
Mar - Jun
Tahiti Hawaii
New Zealand May - Jul
May - Jul
Tonga Indian Ocean
New Zealand Sept - Oct
Sept - Oct
Fiji North Pacific
Indian Ocean
New Zealand Sept - Nov
Sept - Nov
Sept - Nov
NEW ZEALAND TO
All areas Fiji & Tonga
Australia Apr - Jun
Apr - Jun
AUSTRALIA TO
Sydney, Brisbane Fiji & Tonga
Indian Ocean Apr - May
Apr - May
Cairns Indian Ocean May - Jun
Darwin Indian Ocean/SE Asia Jun - Aug
INDONESIA TO
Bali Indian Ocean/SE Asia May - Aug
SINGAPORE TO
Singapore Indian Ocean
Thailand Oct - Dec
Jun - Dec
THAILAND TO
Phuket Indian Ocean
Red Sea, Med Dec - Mar
Dec - Mar
SRI LANKA TO
Galle Suez, Med
S. Indian Ocean, Chagos Jan - Mar
Jan - Mar
SUEZ TO
Suez Med
Indian Ocean Feb - Apr
Sept - Nov
MED TO
Turkey, France, Spain, etc. Caribbean Sept - Nov
Gibraltar Caribbean Oct - Dec
BRITISH ISLES TO
England & Channel area Caribbean Sept - Nov

axolotl

Reaction score
does anybody have first- or second- hand info on hitching or getting work with no prior experience, from the canaries to south america?

i´m also interested in the e-book but the download link doesn´t work

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads