Boat Hitchhiking | Squat the Planet

Boat Hitchhiking

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Could be a good read. I'm pretty warey of eBooks though, since anybody can publish some useless weekend-write-up.

I tried to bum a 6 hour boat ride once, but the guys didn't seem down with the idea.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, why not? I'd much appreciate it, and it might be pretty good. I'll at least give it at read at some point.
stickbugg<at>gmail<dot>com or a link in PM or a filepost on the board would be great.

stove

Reaction score
sure. while you're at it, can you build a battery for ,my notebook which lasts long enough for me to MAKE these future posts in the present?

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
I boat hitch all the time. I live on a landlocked piece of coast, work in aquaculture and on small ships, and get rides everywhere. Some trips get right fucking wild, and some get right fucking dangerous. You might be amazed what asking around the docks can do....it can go either way sometimes. :crew:

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I boat hitch all the time. I live on a landlocked piece of coast, work in aquaculture and on small ships, and get rides everywhere. Some trips get right fucking wild, and some get right fucking dangerous. You might be amazed what asking around the docks can do....it can go either way sometimes. :crew:

Dirty D, where are you at? I've gathered you're somewhere in Canada, but that's about it.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
I live near Vancouver BC, about 6 hours away. To get to Vancouver, i need to take 3 ferries. So riding with someone else is sometimes easier.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
It was ok. At first I thought all the stuff was really obvious, but then it dawned on me it was just really practical, and stuff I wouldn't have bothered to think about. Kinda like a little thing you link people to when they are new to a message board and post something like "FREE BOAT RIDES?!!?" with a single question like "Hey guys, I heard about going on boats, HOW DO I DO IT?!?!?!" In other words, a mere introduction.

boucaneer

Reaction score
you could learn to crew, some small boat clubs need volunteers to help with work parties in the boat yard, they would teach you things like knots and simple tides and helmsmanship. you might even blag a few free courses from their club instuctor and have somthing on paper.

then you would be snapped up as crew for a free ride and coukd even get paid for it. just choose where you want to go, make friend in port, buy a few drinks and be freindly and you will make contacts, it's like growing a seed.

youm could travel the world if you have enough time. you could blag training of people in you are helpfull.

if the posh boat clubs arnt interested go for the average joe boat clubs and if they arnt interested go and see the party boaters.

Poerts

Reaction score
I've been considering trying this sort of thing from Nanaimo onto the mainland for a little while now, but I don't really know how viable that would be. Any idea Dan? I'd assume it would be easier for a small town to small town/random island in the middle of nowhere type of thing. Oh, and hi everybody, I'm new.

stove

Reaction score
Now that I'm in Thailand, I've met a few folks living on boats, willing to take along others for 'the right trade'. Sometimes it's cash, ass, grass, work, cooking...friendship, a party, w/e. It's like an advanced form of hitch-hiking, you've got to learn your audience well.

tallhorseman

Reaction score
Twice I've had tug-boats offer me rides on the Mississippi, but I was already where I wanted to be. They just weren't used to seeing anyone where I had set up camp. Once I traded a couple of fresh catfish for soft-drinks and a gallon of water. Didn't have to boil that night, which was cool.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads