Best City in America

drinkycrow

Reaction score
ABQ NM... do it.

DirtyErik

Reaction score
I dont know any real squat in Boston but I hear New England is a good area so squat. The funny thing is recently i saw a number of people set up camp and squat right and the middle of harvard square in cambridge with cops all over the place i asked them how they pulled it off and they claimed they knew the owner of the store they were camping in front of (a leather shop) unlikely. But they said that the cops in boston/cambridge really didnt seem to have a problem with people squatting. did i mention it was end of semester at harvard and cops were out busting parties like crazy.

Often

Reaction score
Detroit is SO easy to squat in because most of the houses are abandoned. Also, there are a lot of really nice houses that are abandoned since our economy is so terrible. You could even buy a really nice house for as low as $500 and just pay property tax once a year and then it wouldn't be illegal to be there.

see above

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
olympias my favorite....mainly because i enjoy the rain, love the music scene, plenty of squats, woods for camping, a good downtown with plenty of hippy kids and punks busking along 4th ave, weeds good, people are friendly, college a bus ride away with plenty of stupid college kids to fuck with and the college is good for dumpstering after last term as well, gay bars, normal people bars, dumpster values and the 1 dollar "free for us" bin, cops are chill as long as your chill to them, kurt cobains old house is a squat,seattles a bus ride away, lacey and tumwater are good to go spange at a ralphs if you really need money, the artisian well, the runaways with daddys money who then buy you beer cause they wanna be cool with the street kids, the church next to the library that has dank food on sundays, media island the anarchist library, sizzizzis the 24 hour trippy as shit cafe, and plenty of random people who like run on sentences and knit hats... :]

Reaction score
NC is pretty good about it, try Asheville. In the NC part of the Appalacian, if your options get limited with squatting there's always an ample amount of woods to crash in. You have to worry about the snow a little in the winter though, it usually doesn't get below the 20's.

bastardo

Reaction score
I'd actually have to say nola...I know alot of people have bad things to say about it, but theres more out there than just the french quarter, the ninth ward is pretty friggin awesome and its nice when your not beligerent drunk...almost everytime I went through the trash cans for meals and what not, I never got handed less than a 5 at some point..this dude rolled up in a bmw and handed me a 20 and said "I've been there and know how it is" and it has hundreds of squats nowadays too...squatted a cops house last time i was there

Nola is probably the best city for all of the vacant houses and the weather, even though it gets HOT. Your best bet is Nola East, in Chalmette, where lots of 2+ story houses still lay abandoned, although you'll find abandoned houses everywhere in Nola. You'll be far away from all the action, but at least you'll be out of Orleans Parish 'cause if you get arrested, you won't spend the night in third-world OPP. It helps when you're not drunk and/or high, because it's easy to make a clean getaway.

There are a lot of resources in Nola. Hit up the Iron Rail in Marigny and you'll meet a bunch of dudes who know the area and where to acquire necessities. If you're fucking starving, you could always hit up the Hare Krsna house on Esplanade on Sundays at 7pm for some free grub.

Like what dirty_rotten_squatter said, the hospitality from the locals is awesome.

boojie

Reaction score
shit... you should come through rochester for a bit if you haven't already set out on yer travels yet. there's a bunch of active anarchists and community projects goin on. we just opened up a radical community space last year called the flying squirrel. we got a good sized crew researching potential squats and constantly doing scouting missions. a couple squats have been recently established this way for friends/comrades/folks who need a place to stay.
we're always lookin for more help!

panik

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
boone, NC (people are pretty cool, so sooo sooooo pretty there) but that's not's really a city. no trains and kind of out of the way of things I guess.
missoula, montana (best town ever, in my opinion) also not much of a "city" though.

The farthest north I've been on the eastern side of the country though is binghampton, NY. I want to go up to maine and stuff pretty bad.

EDIT: it won't let me delete this. I honestly didn't even read your post at first, I don't know about squats or activism or anything in boone. police aren't that bad though. I would just delete this as it doesn't really help you with your questions but it doesn't seem to be an option. oops.

beermilkshake

Reaction score
NC is pretty good about it, try Asheville. In the NC part of the Appalacian, if your options get limited with squatting there's always an ample amount of woods to crash in. You have to worry about the snow a little in the winter though, it usually doesn't get below the 20's.

The NC mountains are definitely not a place to be sleeping outside in the winter time. Its gets below zero up here during the harsh point of winter. And last year there was as much snow as up north.

Mayor Cantrell

Reaction score
Usually the East Coast, South, or Midwest
I love Richmond, Virginia. I ended up living there for a year, and I feel extremely comfortable there. You have lots of really great shows, good sign flying if you know where to go, an island with cool abandoned buildings on the south side of it, and the people are super nice. The Acca yard ain't what it used to be, though. Now they have two bulls and they've been ticketing kids at the super wall like crazy.

Reactions: Golcems

robbaked

Reaction score
right off the bat i'm saying NYC cause of the resources. Eugene cause it's mad laid back and Pittsburgh cause my experience with the laws seem to be in our favor. Portland, New Orleans and Austin are said to be decent.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads