Being a Female Alone on the Road Comes With Constant Harassment

S

spectacular

Translation - if I sympathize with her maybe I can have sex with her
a million years of trying to propagate the genome have caused males to want to have sex. shocker, I know.
Translation: if I mow over her self expression with sarcastically expressed factoids, I can undermine her entitlement to express herself and use her anger to guilt her into another unwanted sexual encounter

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
You know what else has a rape vibe? Rain.

It's like come on rain I don't want to get wet. But it just persists.

Reactions: todd
D

Deleted member 125

You know what else has a rape vibe? Rain.

It's like come on rain I don't want to get wet. But it just persists.

ide say youv made yer point. we get it, you have no positive input and just seem to be posting whats basically bullshit to up yer post count in a thread started by somebody who doesnt feel safe because of people like you. have some fucking respect.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
This kind of rhetoric will not be tolerated. ~EphemeralStick
but if I'm nice to her it's only because I want sex too.

when you think about it that's really the most creepy way to go about it......*ahem* kimchee

TheChad

Reaction score
*I am editing this because I'm pretty sure people have gotten the wrong idea about what I have posted. All the examples in this post are separate things. This did not all happen at one time. I'm just fed up with everything. This post was inspired by a particularily big asshole last night. This is more of a rant than anything else. Sorry if it seemed misleading* For the past 3 months I've been traveling, for the most part, on my own because I was getting tired of road dogs., As a female I am constantly bombarded with confessions of love, crude comments and actions, and rape attempts. It's sad I have to expect this kind of treatment if I don't have someone to "protect" me. I even have to accept that's just how it's gonna be. I'm getting tired. So tired. I feel like I don't even have the energy to tell people to fuck off anymore. I mean half the guys out here don't even get the hint when you punch them in the face and split their lip open. I shouldn't have to fight people so they don't touch me. I want to be able to go into a city and meet new friends and have fun. Is that really too hard? Is it too much to ask for? I like traveling on my own, I don't want to be practically forced to have a road dog just to avoid this treatment. I love this culture we live in, but it's so hard sometimes. I'm sorry if this wasn't a great post. I just needed some place to put my thoughts.

Im sorry you have been through this. I hear a lot of the same from other female wanderers... I wish you could meet a solid person who didn't leave you wondering... But from the sounds of everything... Thats going to be a hard sale for anyone. Dont let people fuck you up, and get you down. Every new person is a new chance. you can't hold against someone something that another did. With that said, and I know you know this... Don't let people take advantage and let you down over and over. Life is too fucking short.

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
Ped: as in pedophile? You fucking piece of shit! I'm not trying to be a flamer here but goddamn, how can you be such a douche in such a small amount of words? People like you! That's what's wrong with this world.

Reactions: Dmac

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
Oh dear... Maci, I hope you know you're my favorite new friend.
It's not fair that we live in a world as fucked up as it is where people have to be on constant guard. You're right, you should be able to travel alone without being constantly harassed. You shouldn't have to be afraid of drinking for fear of rape. You shouldn't have to feel objectified or that your boundaries are being ignored.

One thing I'll never understand is how someone (i.e. men) can feel that they are entitled to touching another person (i.e. women). I like to think that we as a community have our heads on straight but there will always be scumbags I suppose. The amount of freedom travelers have can get to peoples heads, it's easy for asshole to continue their behavior when there isn't any accountability.

The only way to deal with people like that I found is to dis-empower them. Unfortunately there's no guide book on how to do that and instead you have to take it case by case. However it can be done. It's tiring, and honestly most of the time it seems fruitless. But don't give up just yet. Don't stop making your boundaries known, don't stop punching grabby assholes. Most of all, stick up for any person you see in a vulnerable position. Lift up other victims and you'll find they'll lift you up too. We're in this shitty world together after all.

I will always have your back.

THIS. I will always have your back as well maci!

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Hey @Shwhiskey Gumimaci thank you for posting this and bringing it up. I'm so sorry you've had so many bad experiences out there.

I've experienced some dudes who think they're entitled to me as well, although nothing more than a grab on the knee/hand/shoulder, an assumption that I want to get dinner and spend more time with them, and of course invitations to suck their dicks. But that's still more than I wish to go through. And none of us ladies should ever have to go through that. We're strong and independent being out there on our own, and believe it or not we're usually not wandering around looking to have sex with randoms! Shocker, haha. When I have bad/gross encounters, I just try to put the dudes in their place and tell them how bad the thing was that they just tried to do, and tell them to never touch anyone ever again without asking, etc. just in hopes that they'll never do it to another lady.

Stay strong out there

Reactions: beersalt
D

deleted user

stupid mysoginistic retoric is an easy route to understand the "universe" (yes, the entire plain of existence not including other possible dimensions and the limitness of imagination)

Anyway, stay safe, men aren't monsters but it can be completely nessasary to proseed as if they are.

tacopirate

Reaction score
Reminds me of all the times that my wife has been out flying a sign and guys will pull over and offer her money for sex. She had one guy stop 2 or 3 times trying to get laid. I guess because she looked homeless they assumed she was a hooker?

BTW good post, spectacular

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I started to post something this morning and then got torn away to do stuff and then came back to a mix of good things and one ex-member's freaking crap. I am so sorry for this. You, as a female, or a male - whether sole traveler or not, should not have to deal with this - but unfortunately you may. I know you have written you are tired of a road dog, but in lieu of some circumstances perhaps another female or more may help. I moderate another traveling group and have a couple of lone female travelers atm. I have contacted one person to see where she is and how she is traveling, but there are more options as well. Do let me know if you are interested and I hope you are well because we care.

F

FrumpyWatkins

Lol dude tried to compare procreation to rape
a million years of trying to propagate the genome have caused males to want to have sex. shocker, I know.

That doesn't mean you try and stick your dick in any living creature you nut. Everyone has desires, men and women, but that doesn't justify acting like a rapey weirdo.

G

Grubblin

I'm sorry that you've had to go through what you have. You're right you shouldn't have to put up with any of that. Then you get on here to vent and some other asshole says what he did, which is probably the last thing you needed to 'hear'. Those problems are all his own, don't pay any attention to that.

You apologized for this not being a great post but I disagree with you on that point. I think many people, particularly the young idealistic crowd look at the amazing, adventurous side of traveling when they're just starting out, or thinking of starting. If they give any thought to the darker dangerous side, the side that can get them killed or worse, its an afterthought along the lines of "yeah, that can happen but it won't happen to me". I think maybe your post and the replies it generated will give women pause enough to help them avoid, as much as possible, some of the things that have happened you. That's what I think this site is here for - to help other people and most of the time that's what I see. So thanks for posting, that couldn't have been easy. I hope that karma does you right on this one and things get easier for you.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads