Bay Area Camping/Car Camping | Squat the Planet

Bay Area Camping/Car Camping

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
Looking at going back to the Bay Area for a couple days later this year, everyone I know there has moved on and I'll have my camper (converted 4x4, so not as subtle as a van) with me.

I usually try and avoid bigger cities by San Francisco is, among other things, a bit of a nostalgia trip for me.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any safe/quiet places around the Bay Area to car-camp?
All I've really heard about is a rest stop a little ways north, but there seems to be a high chance of the coppers moving me on.

Cheers

Dameon

Reaction score
SF cops pretty much know to look out for car campers, but as long as you're not visibly doing it, they can't really do anything. Just don't hang out in it at night with the lights on or loud noises going, and don't answer if they come knocking and they don't know for sure you're in there. They can't break in just to see if somebody's sleeping inside. If you park somewhere along Golden Gate Park for the night (assuming you can find a parking spot), you should be alright.

Reactions: Benji91

Dameon

Reaction score
Cheers @Dameon and, yeah, subtlety is always key...especially in cities. I was thinking Berkeley or somewhere else just a little ways out of the City could be a better idea.
You're really just as well off in SF as any of the rest of the bay area...it's all way bummed out. California has 1/4 of the country's population of homeless people, and the entire bay area is pretty bad these days. Cops are on alert everywhere, but people camping in cars are pretty low priority, especially if you're not in the same spot every day and you're low key.

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
You're really just as well off in SF as any of the rest of the bay area...it's all way bummed out. California has 1/4 of the country's population of homeless people, and the entire bay area is pretty bad these days. Cops are on alert everywhere, but people camping in cars are pretty low priority, especially if you're not in the same spot every day and you're low key.

Eh yeah, good points dude and thanks heaps for your input.
I'm used to being in places where the cops don't have a whole lot else to do - ended up with a huge fine for camping just outside of Byron Bay a little while back, have just been a little paranoid since.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
if you park overnight in B., make *sure* you check the side of street notices.
parked there for a month or so, never had any problems, moving every ~2 days..
did get popped once for side/sweeping violation.

why, however, would you *want* to park in B., unless you have work or friends?

if it's just for a couple of days, that's an interesting point..
look at the signs, adjust accordingly.

find out where in the city you want to be.

**get your spot early**..

move early.,

for the price, some 24 hour pay spots might be worth it, if you're just going to visit briefly.
like @Dameon says, don't be obvious & you should be cool..
in any case, good luck..

good travels, bro..

peacefulmonokai

Reaction score
Berkeley has been going through some issues by the marina. Bringing heavy police force. I think there is some court battle going on over RV's vs. Public space. Police are active there. GGP remains crowded with tourists parked, but you can sneak in, find a place, and park for the night.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads