Basic tools | Squat the Planet

Basic tools

Driftwoodbnsf

Reaction score
I carry a hatchet and folding saw in my everyday pack. Mostly for shelter building. I like the Estwing campers hatchet. Solid steel and tough. You can drive nails with the back end (poll) and get the edge wicked sharp. The saw is a Corona folding pruning saw. Very light weight and super sharp. It's surprising what you can build with this combo. With these, you can cut and shape decent size logs and make a nice mini cabin.

1lostnate

Reaction score
I carry an estwing campers' axe, 18" machete, 10" cats paw heavy duty 10in1 klein screwdriver, 1 1/2" adjustable wrench, and 20 oz framing hammer. For shelter, entering squats, hooking up electric and water or appropriating from closed boxes, and carpentry and landscaping jobs picked up on the way. Had a full tool belt but it was too much.

Reactions: Mankini

Driftwoodbnsf

Reaction score
I carry an estwing campers' axe, 18" machete, 10" cats paw heavy duty 10in1 klein screwdriver, 1 1/2" adjustable wrench, and 20 oz framing hammer. For shelter, entering squats, hooking up electric and water or appropriating from closed boxes, and carpentry and landscaping jobs picked up on the way. Had a full tool belt but it was too much.
That's a good kit. Should be able to handle most anything that comes up.

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
I've been in need of getting a hand saw, not so much for shelter as the need to be able to cut used disgarded peaces of 2x4 - old peaces of pallets primarily for my hobo stove. I was just about to make a post asking about a recommendation for a hand saw. I'd assume it would have no issues cutting through this material mentioned. The light weight factor is a big plus because my bag is over stuff as it is. Appreciate the post.

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
It would be for keeping warm behind buildings. I use my hobo stove mainly for warmth than cooking. It is amazing as to how a little coffea can, used properly can provide such warmth. Glad you did meation the toxictions. Associated with certain lumber materials. That does only pertain to treated lumber correct? Does untreated lumber contain the same toxictions as you describe?

Driftwoodbnsf

Reaction score
It would be for keeping warm behind buildings. I use my hobo stove mainly for warmth than cooking. It is amazing as to how a little coffea can, used properly can provide such warmth. Glad you did meation the toxictions. Associated with certain lumber materials. That does only pertain to treated lumber correct? Does untreated lumber contain the same toxictions as you describe?
The Corona saw will cut lumber but it can be harder to start the cut than a regular building saw because the teeth are more course. It works great on sticks and small logs though. You can pick them up at Lowes or Home Depot for around 20 bucks. They make several sizes too. Most untreated lumber is fine to burn. Like jimyf said, avoid treated stuff, especially the green colored stuff as it's full of arsenic. I've burned pallets and they worked fine. Lots of good oak boards in some pallets. I just make sure the boards are clean. No oil or grease or chemical stains.

Reactions: PennyRiver

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
boosted a 20 dollar fiskars straight pruning saw from wally world the other day. the thing is light as fuck and kicks ass.
already made some money with it, pruning somebody's Apple tree. cut a trunk 8" in diameter, it was a liitle much but still handled.
saws are great!
for anybody trying to crack a squat without tools, I'd recommend finding any junk or abandoned car, pulling the Jack out of the trunk, and using that Jack, combined with the appropriate length piece of wood, to Jack the door frame apart.
bottle Jack is better but scissor jack will work too. jack horizontally , as close as possible to the deadbolt

Driftwoodbnsf

Reaction score
boosted a 20 dollar fiskars straight pruning saw from wally world the other day. the thing is light as fuck and kicks ass.
already made some money with it, pruning somebody's Apple tree. cut a trunk 8" in diameter, it was a liitle much but still handled.
saws are great!
for anybody trying to crack a squat without tools, I'd recommend finding any junk or abandoned car, pulling the Jack out of the trunk, and using that Jack, combined with the appropriate length piece of wood, to Jack the door frame apart.
bottle Jack is better but scissor jack will work too. jack horizontally , as close as possible to the deadbolt
Fiskars makes great hatchets and axes too. Super sharp. They'll chop or split wood really well. I've heard that you can make some really good lock picks out of hacksaw blades too with a little filing and patience.

Reactions: Mankini
D

Deleted member 2626

I always have my gerber multi tool and use the little sae blade a lot and have broken a few. Used to have a little gerber hatchet that held one he'lll of an edge. Carry little seeing tools for leather work. I do construction so did think of tramping with some tools. My cabins got it all though ha hand saw hammers pounds of nails axe

Driftwoodbnsf

Reaction score
0510141002.jpg
I always have my gerber multi tool and use the little sae blade a lot and have broken a few. Used to have a little gerber hatchet that held one he'lll of an edge. Carry little seeing tools for leather work. I do construction so did think of tramping with some tools. My cabins got it all though ha hand saw hammers pounds of nails axe
Yep. I carry a leatherman and I love it. I think Fiskars makes the Gerber hatchets too. Did you build your cabin? I've wondered why more squatters don't build little cabins in the forest. Takes some work, but well worth it if you have a good spot to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1lostnate

kecleon

Reaction score

No only the treated stuff, pallets in country ones aren't usually treated with shit but international and for some products they still are

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I saw a little hammer multi tool at wallys for $10 thought itd be good for hammering out wire for jewelry or installing grommets.
I have the basics knife, multitool, silcock (water) key.
also a set of jewlery pliers round, chain nose, and snips.
I make jewelry so I kinda geek out on that...

Reactions: VikingAdventurer
D

Deleted member 2626

Nope land my dad sold and we built the little 12x12. I have a thread on stp with pics. Yeah when I have funds I may pick up on of those little hatchet hammer multi tools as well fox spirit.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
knife, dykes, hammer... all good quality.. camp axe hammer, or estwing shingles hammer..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads