Anyone interested in moving into Wisconsin?

shittickit

Reaction score
right now i am in kenosha WI will you be going there next week my girlfreind is visiting her family from here i might head up there to check it out i personally would love to help i will see if shes interested and thats only a 3 hour drive from here

meatbag

Reaction score
I am only like 30 min away from the school. I live in viroqua as of right now, I'm going to be talking to some ppl about grants for this place tomorrow. My overall goal is to create a 100% green packing shed. That's only going to be like 1/16 of this place, with the rest of it I'd like to transform it into something wonderful. I'm trying to create jobs for the americans whom need it very much. Nothing has to be forever unless YOU want it to be.

Kenosha huh.. parkside has a nice disc golf course!

Wolf

Reaction score
All are welcome, but you must be willing to work towards change. not in the sense of ones self being, but change as in living. I am here to create an alternative way of living. I feel that with a few more sharp minds in colaboration with mine, we can create something fucking AWESOME! Sometime this week I'm going to be heading back down to the school, going to start cleaning up and going to have a fire!

No the school isn't in oshkosh, it's like 6 min E, NE of richland center wil. small unincorporated town.

thapoet, of course you are more than welcome to bring your daughter if you decide not to roll out west.

Wolf, fuck the system, just up and leave. No jail time, you are not a caged animal, you are a human being. I guess whatever you have to do you have to do. Keep your spirits high in whichever you choose.

I've been in and out a couple times for this shit, I got court on the first too, I'll be wicked pissed if I'm in jail again on the 4th though that's my birthday. I can't really take off at this point in time 'cause I'd get myself a bench warrent. By the way lads, stay the fuck away from Modesto, those pigs are really pigs. Asking me about my sexual interests and shit, fuck them.

D

Deleted member 20

Sounds interesting. I do share the same concens as others as far as legalities. Being able to prove being allowed to be there is gonna help alot. I wonder how the neighbors are gonna react to a new group of people living in a former school. Seems like a real to evict, based on state building codes, I bet lead paint, maybe asbestos , mold etc could be found. Has it ever been lived in before? I think you should be extra carefull about ganking crops & or timber from your direct neighbors. If anything I would go right over an introduce yourself & explain what you are trying to do. It will probably be a better approach than sneaking around their property taking stuff. If you can win the hearts of the abutters you will be in much better shape. The law will less likely to be called if your neighbors know the members of the collective are traveling/hippy types that want to improve the space rather than drug abusing lawless criminals just looking for a place to slaughter small animals & burn bibles. Its the fear of the unknown factor. Plus if there farms & stuff around it may be a good source for day labor in exchange for assistance or supplies. It would be nice to have someone down the road where you could go borrow a tool once in awhile or get some milk/eggs. I wonder if you could organize like a weekend cleanup, invite everyone from the forum, craigslist get the big stuff done. I am sure a dumpster or too would be nice. I would start collecting unwanted building supplies & posting ads on craigslist & freecycle unless you have capital in place for the many projects. I am sure some on this forum may be interested in donating small amounts of cash, labor & or supplies even if not interested in living there. What grants are you trying to apply for? Wouldnt you need to own the property? I think the owner should sit down & put all of this in a trust or nonprofit. He could still keep ownership but also have others manage without residing there himself. Taxes may be free etc.

meatbag

Reaction score
So I was out at the school, getting rid of the cast today, nobody cared. I also did some weed eating as well. Going to mow it sometime this week, then going to plow it over, then till it. going to be a late garden, but fuck it. I was also weighing the idea to make the building 12 vdc. I mean; http://cgi.ebay.com/110-Tested-Mono...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item641f02c345 , and that's a start to lighting. I guess at one point in time there were apartments in there. but for now I'm focousing on the garden, THAT'S going to be the start of putting this building back together.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Alright man just a few more questions! How exactly does one find this place? It looks like its right on the 56. Also is it good for people to crash in the school right now? Also what are the locals like? Sorry for all these questions, just wanna know before i decide to head up.

Lizzzzz

Reaction score
^^good questions i'd wanna know the answers to as well
about the water thing, get a couple 55 gal drums and fill em up in town. could work til something else gets figured out...?

quagRZ

Reaction score
sounds rad dude still waiting to leave mass but ill be heading through there at some point, so if your still on this project i will be more than willing to help out..

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
^^good questions i'd wanna know the answers to as well
about the water thing, get a couple 55 gal drums and fill em up in town. could work til something else gets figured out...?

Yeah, water can make or break you in whatever your doing! I hope get that issue solved.

Murf

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Defintly interested , though getting there is my only issue. I have a couple of questions as i have yet to do any research on it , since this is my first time readin this but i will be right after.
1-Whats your stance on huntin , and what kinda game is there up around that way [I.E. Laws , Fish , and other small/big game]
2-I have quite a bit of construction experience [both commercial , and in the wild] , so are there any structural issues with the place just so i know what kind of things i would be looking to aquire once I get out that way
3-Also have LOADS of farming experience so i was wondering what the evevation and standard climates are like , plus how is the soil
4-Do you have a way to transport water drums , mainly access to a car/truck and trailer?
5-Noise ordinance? Open Burning laws? Latrines/compost aloud?

I should be heading west sometime before the end of summer , and am trying to find a faster way than the typical routes. Never planned on WI but it sounds amazing. This idea sounds amazing and I would love to become a part of it! Another good question that was asked before , and excuse me if the answer is up already , but can people live there as of now and get to work tilling seed plots , digging latrines , and general building maintenence?

D

Deleted member 20

Uh oh. A hunter from PA. I like to joke then even though I am a combat tested Marine that the hairiest military skirmish I ever had was while deer hunting in PA. I dont think there is another state that hunts like PA. Glad to see a meateater on this site; though I personally dont hunt or play with guns anymore.

meatbag

Reaction score
So there is fishing up here, small game as well. not so much in the town, but i do know of a spot to hunt if need be. Can get truck trailer to haul supplies (mainly H2O) to the school, until I get the well going. As for the latrines.. they need to be put up. for now i've been taking care of business near the lined fence. The building needs to be cleaned out, but one can live in there.. if one wanted to. There are animals in and out of there, i believe that there are a few coons in the space as of now, my dog kinda let me know that one., windows need to be fixed of closed up. there's like 2 rooms in the very back of the school that are wet, but everywhere else is dry.

Murf

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
sounding better and better every post you put up. Im going to SERIOUSLY look in getting over there , and planning a route. Ive never been anywhere near WI so its a complete pilgramage for me and will take a while if i use the classic method . I mean ive been told i am a stand out navigator , but foriegn turf is foriegn turn and a hard word to spell. If anyone reading this is thinking of going down , now or in the future passin in PA , let me know!!! This is right up my alley 100%. Keep us posted!

...and "Welcome to the Keystone State, even our amish will fight ya"

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
I am really starting to like this more and more... thinking I might put me and my daughters bikes and some supplies in the back of my truck and drive up there. my biggest concern thus far has been about pig interference at the location. If I can get over that concern, then I'll be on my way north.....

0ddity

Reaction score
I'm in LaCrosse right now. Thinking about trying to make my way over there. Hitching 56 sounds a bit rough though.

meatbag

Reaction score
so here's a number that you can kinda reach me at. 715-222-4734. I check messages and then call via gmail, saves soo much money that way.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads