Anyone interested in moving into Wisconsin? | Squat the Planet

Anyone interested in moving into Wisconsin?

meatbag

Reaction score
I've got access to this old school. My goal is to make it all livable again. There is 3 acres attached to it WHICH is more than enough land to have a vegeatable operation on it, and enough room to have a few small animals, laying hens would have a place as well. I've got ideas, just need help.

The structure has a new roof, but that's about it. Some of the windows need replacing, people have been taking up the old hard wood flooring. I need help cleaning this place out, to start my project. I'd also be willing to put up solar panels, which WE would have to assemble (solar cells). Then the object is to "aquire" some APC battery backups then some wiring and a few energy efficent bulbs then we are in buisness. There is no water that I know of, I haven't dug too far into that yet.

If there is anyone interested in joining this community that I'm trying to assemble please feel free to talk to me about it. I'd start with 10 indviduals at this point, when operation grows so will the community. I'd LOVE to get this building sealed up before winter time.

meatbag

Reaction score
It's like this. I do NOT own this, BUT the owner of the property gave me FULL permission to start this venture. I kinda want to be a co-operative, joint baised partnership. It's in Gillingham, small unincorprated town. Between Viola and Richland Center, right on HWY 56. Going to buy seed this friday, then I'm looking into the whole water situation. I need minds to help with this. I can provide seed and animals, and some equipment. I need help cleaning up place, and to care for the crops and such.

plagueship

Reaction score
get it in writing. i realize this makes me sound like a nerd but you have got to put first things first and it might save you from getting majorly fucked later.

meatbag

Reaction score
I am NOT one bit worried about this venture, I; MYSELF talk to the owner once a week. I have known him for a few years and he's 100% about us and not the Govenrnment. He is currently in Vermont attenting some sort of political rally of some sort, "trying to do some good" he said.

meatbag

Reaction score
I will head there tomorrow and take a few pictures of the building, and the land attatched to it.

Nyte

Reaction score
Keep in mind that while the property owner may be all for this, the authorities may not, and if he travels frequently, they will have plenty of time to hassle you, cause huge set backs, and drive off potential community members. It sounds like an awesome idea and set up. If I get out that way, I would love to check you all out, maybe stay and help a short while as well.

Wolf

Reaction score
This is just awesome, I'm looking at jail time right now, but as soon as all that crap is figured out I would love to stop by and help out with whatever may need help around then.

Lizzzzz

Reaction score
that looks fucking rad i was about to get somethin like that goin here in detroit but if it don't work out i'd love to come work on that with yall! just north of oshkosh right? i googled the school name...

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
that does sound awesome! I have lots of construction experience and would be interested. Pretty sure I am headed west, but my mind changes like a politicians promises, so keep in touch! My big obstacle right now is trying to figure out how to raise my daughter AWAY from this pathetic society without the pathetic society locking me up for refusing to force my child to conform to their agenda.... Would someone like me and my daughter be welcome there???

Eadoin

Reaction score
this does look pretty awesome. im leaning more and more towards this idea everyday.

meatbag

Reaction score
All are welcome, but you must be willing to work towards change. not in the sense of ones self being, but change as in living. I am here to create an alternative way of living. I feel that with a few more sharp minds in colaboration with mine, we can create something fucking AWESOME! Sometime this week I'm going to be heading back down to the school, going to start cleaning up and going to have a fire!

No the school isn't in oshkosh, it's like 6 min E, NE of richland center wil. small unincorporated town.

thapoet, of course you are more than welcome to bring your daughter if you decide not to roll out west.

Wolf, fuck the system, just up and leave. No jail time, you are not a caged animal, you are a human being. I guess whatever you have to do you have to do. Keep your spirits high in whichever you choose.

meatbag

Reaction score
another idea i was having was to have raised beds sourrounding the school, and have like fruit bearing shrubs (blueberries) and some other type of fruit bearing plant, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries..idk just thinking. I'm NOT opposed to roll into some garden and be like YES! that's what I've been looking for... gank, thanks. I'd like to put some asparagus crowns out there as well. Now I do know where to get hundreds of crowns.. for nothing :D

Joe Btfsplk

Reaction score
If you want to try to be an entrepreneur, put in a plot of Habanero peppers.

I raise these babies way up on a city high rise porch. These are very pronounced, hot peppers. They have a cult following (I love them.) I sell them and share them.

I winter them inside with grow lights. Put them out in the spring and they go nuts. Heavy production.

Planted outside in raised beds, it would be productive to clone them and overwinter with those. These guys get big outside and become small bushes. One can't pull them up and transplant. They die in winter and do not come back. Clones.

Plug those clones in in late May and you'll be harvesting until November. Longer, but winter sets in. I've harvested Habs in February that were still producing under grow lights. They were the size of a marble. The summer Habs are the size of small apples. I never ate the February's, just put them in the compost.

I grow them on a city porch way up high. Small bees come around and pollinate. These guys are the size of rice with wings.

I hear in the Richland Center area they're large enough that you can pet them.

thisisme

Reaction score
Oh my god! im super interested in being a part of this. ive been in WI (im from here originally) for like a week now trying to figure out my next move as everything in my current situation is pretty up in the air. im trying to get my health back after coming off 15yrs of psych meds and my body aint loving me so much right now. thats why im not on the road right now, but something like this would be perfect, i think. how far outside of town is it? is there a water source of some sort?

meatbag

Reaction score
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=43.391078,-90.402718&spn=0.127737,0.219383&t=h&z=12

That's in relation to how far the school is from town, well richland center. There is a septic and a well there, don't know how good any of them are. There's no power in this place, somone gutted all the electrical. As for a water source I would imagine if we started to do something positive with this place the neighbors would be willing to help.... maybe.

On the better side of things there are PLENTY of creamerys in the area. I've worked at a few of them, and they toss out all sorts of mis-labled product. Nothing that they toss can't be consumed. There's westby cheese (that's in westby), hilltop foods, dean foods, nd foremost are all loacted in RC.

Currently I am scouting rail road ties for the raised beds. Then I'm going to be needing some bodies to help "gather" lumber from a few places that are falling apart, I'm sure that the owners wont mind, if there's a certian type of stealth involved. :)

Eadoin

Reaction score
i'm more than willing to helpout! i think im gonna try and head that way after i get done in mass

Lizzzzz

Reaction score
dude this is lookin awesome... seriously going to keep this option in mind. i've been reading food not lawns and been wanting sustainability but at the same time the travel bug aint done bitin yet so i'm reluctant to set something up that's meant to be permanent.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads