Any Jesus followers? | Squat the Planet

Any Jesus followers?

T

timehiker3633

Hello there. I have lurked on StP for awhile, but just recently created my own account. I am a single, almost twenty-three-year-old male with a hunger for adventure and magical experiences. I recently came back to Georgia after spending a total of fourteen months in a Christ-centered care facility in New Hampshire called His Mansion Ministries. Long story, but my immediate family isn't really supportive and I'm feeling really lonely in life right now. I'm trying to figure out what/where Christ wants me to go and I'm hoping to find other believers on here. Hope to hear from anybody soon! Thanks.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin
D

Deleted member 8978

I am also a follower of God, but in the internet world I would rather keep it to myself. Every individual can have a preference based on political and religious views, and it depends on the environment you're in. For example, if I say I'm a follower of God in a room of non-believers, they would all sit back and laugh at me. Just watch your back every chance you get.

ScumRag

me, hellarity, oak, ca. about 2006
Reaction score
I *try* to keep it low-key but in your face xians piss me off. Like today at my pad a new roommate was quoting the old testament & for someone who came from a family-involved cultish highschool just hearing that shite is enuf to make me hurl.
However on the flipside, God can be "good orderly direction" so it really just depends on how you present your beliefs and how not to inflict unneeded pains on others...

T

timehiker3633

Yeah, I hear you guys. I grew up in a "Christian" family and my siblings' and I's parents were missionaries to both Germany and Canada, but our family was anything but. It was very dysfunctional and I'm just trying to get the hell on with life and be realistic about it at the same time, while following Jesus and growing in my understanding and relationship with him for who he TRULY is, not who many so-called "churches" and "Christians" here in America say he is.

• Useful

ScumRag

me, hellarity, oak, ca. about 2006
Reaction score
I feel ya. At my hs, we had missionaries & them and their kids would stand up in this stage with these glazed over look in their eyes that read "im just gonna stand here & nod and smile, cuz I know if I don't my ass us gonna get beat later"

At 40, I look back and thank my educators for the discipline of an xian based school, but not so much of the diety we were 'posed to worship. Nowadays I just realise that there's gotta be something out there but that I don't have to comprehend, nor factor into my daily life.

Hope that helps...

• Useful

rooster831

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Hello there. I have lurked on StP for awhile, but just recently created my own account. I am a single, almost twenty-three-year-old male with a hunger for adventure and magical experiences. I recently came back to Georgia after spending a total of fourteen months in a Christ-centered care facility in New Hampshire called His Mansion Ministries. Long story, but my immediate family isn't really supportive and I'm feeling really lonely in life right now. I'm trying to figure out what/where Christ wants me to go and I'm hoping to find other believers on here. Hope to hear from anybody soon! Thanks.

jesus is cool n all, but a lot of travelers are anti religion, imo

god's luck to ya

Reactions: Juan Derlust

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I grew up in a meth house, moms & (insert whichever "stepdad" here) sold & used. Every Sunday my mom would always force us to go to church. It seemed more often than not, her and whichever guy she was with would get in a full blown fist fight in the front seat on the way to church. A lot of times she'd jump out of the passenger seat at a stop light and we'd of course follow. Call up grandma to come rescue us again, dude would smash out with the car. Sometimes we'd make it to church, but we were always late and stared at when entering. The whole assembly had judgment in their eyes, you could just feel it.

The whole ordeal really left a bad taste in my mouth for religion. I didn't like being forced into it and I also couldn't help but question how "real" the other Christians were when I could see plain as day how fake that shit was in my household. I ended up moving out of the house at fifteen to live in squats or parks with friends. The streets seemed like a better environment to grow up in than the meth house. Apparently that was some sort of wake-up call for my mom, who got clean shortly after I left.

When I still lived at home probably around the age of 14, I used to pray each night before bed. I remember so clearly the night I stopped myself mid prayer and questioned what in the actual fuck was I doing. I determined I was merely talking to myself, and had been since I could ever recall. If there was a "god", it certainly wasn't anything like I had been taught to believe. There was no old man up in the clouds who might fix my problems if I kept in touch with him and continued asking for some help.

Nearly three decades have passed and my take on it now is more or less the same. What I believe now, is that we're energy. I mean that's science, we can actually prove that. I'm pretty sure(not a scientist) that energy cannot just cease to be. Energy cannot just come to a full stop, it would somehow have to transfer or be used in some other way. So I think about our bodies, and what happens when we're buried. Our bodies decay, but there's still a lot of fuel there that surely ends up somewhere else.

I can imagine mycelium and roots slowly working their way down into the coffin, tapping into our decaying bodies and then using what's left to feed what's growing above. Mushrooms growing up on the surface, trees growing cones, nuts & seeds using some of my body's energy. Squirrels eating those nuts, using it for their energy. Birds eating the seeds, even down to the ants eating leaves. Tiny bits of my energy carry on, somewhere. Even when a person is cremated and all the organic carbon based matter is destroyed, the bones left behind are pulverized into powder and usually scattered somewhere in the wilderness. Bone meal provides phosphorus and calcium to plants, great energy to build life with.

That's plenty of afterlife for me, I don't need to see my dead relatives again for ever and ever. That sounds great for a little while, but forever and ever? No thanks, I get tired of some of them now after only a couple days being around them. As far as what other people practice, I couldn't care less what a person believes as long as they're causing no harm to others. If believing in Jesus somehow helps you to be a better version of yourself, well then by all means get your Jesus on. Historically, religion has caused immeasurable amounts of bloodshed and continues to today. That's where I begin to have a problem with the whole thing. I think spirituality should be kept personal, not forced on others in any way.

T

timehiker3633

@Eng JR Lupo RV323 I'm sorry for what you went through as a child. I don't want to sit here at my computer and try to console you when I've never even met you or know anything about your life cuz I'm just a stranger from the Interwebs, but... Jesus is different. I grew up around people who twisted Jesus, God, etc for their own prideful gain and it was fucking bullshit. God HATES religion and those that twist his truth.

bjorkedfork

Reaction score
Yes, I am a Jesus Follower as well! I usually go to non-denominational evangelical type church services for fellowship but I am not deeply religious. I like the Socality movement thing. Mostly, its a personal aspect of mine and not something I am hitting the streets with trying to convert people or anything. I used to practice Wicca and shit back in the day so I have a pretty open mind about different religions but this is what works for me now.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
I became a Christian largely because of traveling. Repeatedly I find myself being bailed out of the most unlikely and strenuous situations by people who exhibit Christlike tendencies, and find that when I myself exhibit those tendencies, I walk away full of mystery and silent, contemplative elation.

I think that Jesus, and other religious prophets who taught essentially the same doctrines, were divinely sent/inspired people who were given the keys out of Babylon. Civilization represents a new challenge to human beings, and is composed of the self-worship of the powerful. If the powerful became Christians today - I mean real-deal, give-you-the-shirt-on-my-back-and-fast-so-that-you-can-eat Christians - we would find ourselves in Eden again. Christian ethics are basically a guidebook for how to survive Man's destruction of Eden as it manifested in the construction of cities and the rape of the land via agriculture.

Perhaps paradoxically, I'm also an egoist anarchist. I find that Christian principles serve me. Self-worship does not do me much good, and living for others makes me happy sometimes. It also is smart of me to admit how imperfect I am, and how perfect the Christlike are. I am so far from his path, but simply trusting that as long as I direct my will in HIs holy way, I will get closer and closer, and that for simply trying, I am forgiven, it adds a great depth to my life.

Now, getting to church while on the road? It can be tough..

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I'm definitely not religious, but would call myself spiritual. There's a whole debate about if it's the same thing or not (clearly i'm of the "it's not" side :p). I think people like Jesus and Buddha, among many others, are just people who saw above human nature and decided to care about everyone, instead of selecting those to treat well. I don't think they are divine or anything, but I won't actively seek out people to change their mindset, either.

I'm open to there being or not being a God, but even through science you can be spiritual.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Christ was one of the greatest travelers that ever lived, IMO. Im not really religious, I identify with much of what @Eng JR Lupo RV323 said.

I believe in the transfer of energy after death, hence an "afterlife". Im also into earth/nature based religion. Druids were awesome.

Im really glad to not have seen a post on this thread yet, bashing religion, or telling anyone they are dumb for having certain beliefs. Another great reason to stick around on StP.

Ya'll fukin' rock, keep it up.

Oh ya, and welcome, I hope you find what you are looking for on the road. You see true Christianity everywhere when you are traveling, IMO.

I swear I've met Jesus Christ himself while traveling in Arcata.....That was a really weird, yet awesome encounter...

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Im really glad to not have seen a post on this thread yet, bashing religion, or telling anyone they are dumb for having certain beliefs. Another great reason to stick around on StP.

I too was impressed by this. I read all the comments before leaving mine and I noticed it was quite peaceful, even the replies from those who aren't believers. I think that's pretty fuckin cool. Imagine trying this discussion on Reddit, or even FB. You'd have shots fired in no time and it would get really ugly, fast! The community here is fuckin rad. There's obviously always going to be some shithead trolls from time to time like anywhere, but they never last long enough here to make any sort of impact.

Reactions: Juan Derlust

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Oh Reddit......The front page (of the National Enquirer) of the internet......

vannevar

Reaction score
He...is here. Never saw him in Arcata but here and there, many times. pretty sure it was Him. Also demons are completely real Ive seen them too. Quantum mechanics are just as real....and people are just as argumentative about that. Nobody knows whats really going on with God or quantum mechanics, we all just muddle through life in various stages of enlightenment. An agnostic would say only the dead know for sure but im a believer...most people know the reality of divinity...Divinity-God...is a personal quest for each person, buddhist, jew, hindu, zoroastrian or other. The danger lies in assuming that puny, feeble human minds are even capable of comprehending Infinity.

vannevar

Reaction score
If He showed up in Hollywood, DC, or NYC...healing the sick without a license, serving at soup kitchens and food not bombs events...hanging out with hookers, drug addicts, criminals etc...Wonder how US society would react. Probably exactly lke the Pharisees and Romans did...

& dont forget- "christ" was a HUGE anarchist: smashing the gambling tables in the temple, feeding the hungry, chillin with the lepers...

• Useful
Reactions: roughdraft

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
He...is here. Never saw him in Arcata but here and there, many times. pretty sure it was Him. Also demons are completely real Ive seen them too. Quantum mechanics are just as real....and people are just as argumentative about that. Nobody knows whats really going on with God or quantum mechanics, we all just muddle through life in various stages of enlightenment. An agnostic would say only the dead know for sure but im a believer...most people know the reality of divinity...Divinity-God...is a personal quest for each person, buddhist, jew, hindu, zoroastrian or other. The danger lies in assuming that puny, feeble human minds are even capable of comprehending Infinity.

He'll ya demons are real! I have felt some pure evil while traveling as well. Some people I have passed by, I just get this really fucked up chilling feeling. Not even weird people. Just random.

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
I was a athiest years ago, a athiest now, a athiest in my travels and journeys but with that being said it is always nice to hear peoples experience, strength and hope.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads