Anarchist Communes.

zarathustra

Reaction score
Are you still in Buffalo? I live in the burbs, and have been on the road for a while and kicked it in other cities, but I was wondering if there were any squats in Buffalo worth hanging at. And I'm also thinking about my next trip, and wanted to talk to people about places to go, etc.

Hahaha. This speaks to me. I would love to have considered our squat in Buffalo an Anarchist Commune, also a back to the land place where maybe we did all fuck each other and destroy our healthy group dynamic but that is asking to much of our large group. Sometimes there were 20 of us, and Buffalo's punk community is notoriously patriotic, religious (ahem irish or italian scuse me) and pro work, ie even finding anarchists in that town was hard. But I can say that coming out of the project almost all of them consider themselves anarchist, strive for more anarchy or live anarchically (?) after wards which is inspiring to me as the ideological extremist of the group. Propaganda by the deed and revolutionizing everyday life blah blah it works.

I have been to a more anarchistic commune in Pittsburg the Landslide squat and (at least when I first met them) they all had alot of politics in common and not much else and I thought I wanted somethin like that. Our house didn't have much politics in common, just good old hatin cops, hatin work, hatin rent, and wanting a mansion! Bingo. We were just DIY kids vs the state that lived communally.

Maybe the question 'are their any anarchist communes' implies a dual tiered entry program. Are you anarchist? Can you live collectively? That sounds all fun (and enticing) but you gotta start or help build that kinda shit, and keep it smaller, otherwise go enroll in the Institute for Social Ecology or join the IWW.

elokupa

Reaction score
i've actually lived at several communes, the word being derived from community which is an important concept to squatter punks, where we had organic gardens, no rent, and everyone worked together for the common good of the group. communes started way before the commercial "revolution" of the hippies. anyone hear of the dial house in the UK? and there are MANY long term squats. you just have to know where to find them. they aren't always abandoned buildings.

Dial house isnt a squat, Crass were forced to buy it to protect the house and the few remaining green belt areas. Many people think its a squat as it was an open house.

Its a kind of squat i guess tho because i heard no one is sure who owns it.

I would love to live in a farm squat...

B

Blackcatwob

ArrowInOre said:
Have you ever considered living in Alaska, go far enough out in the bush and you WILL be ON YOUR OWN...Try it out. cold as fuck, but fresh trout tastes mighty good on a cold day.....

Yeah, for sure... I lived out on Kodiak island for while and it was great. You can go for any direction as far as you can go without seeing anyone... Truly the final frontier.

rebequah

Reaction score
The thing I like about farm squats and self sustainable communities is that it directly fights capatalism and globAlization through its taking back of the land. I think we all agree in searching to leave the restraints of capatalism we find ourselves conforming whether its affording our whiskey, stealing, food stamps, electricity etc.... So to buy a house with property to turn over and build your own world on that land and live in a way that symbiotically exists with the nature around it (not the sidewalks and sky scrapers) to create a sustainable living for yourself and loads of others is revolutionary! power to the farms!!!!!!!!! theres a website I think its called intentional communities. com, or international or something....

I

IBRRHOBO

Montpelier, VT has a hella collective. it's the capital of VT and only aoubt 8,000 people. Here in Knoxville there's two paid for collectives --- one is a pretty progressive group of anarchists (meaning they ACTUALLY DO SHIT as opposed to staying fucked up) and the other one is Food Not Bombs. There's also a CrimethInc. collective here.

bikegeek666

Reaction score
i've been to the trumbullplex in detroit, it kicks ass as far as i can tell. sounds like the place is in a bit of disarray as far as organization but they have two houses and between them they have a theater which they put on local events/shows at. downtown detroit seemed to have more abandoned buildings than occupied buildings, and from what i heard the police officer to citizen ratio is one of the lower ones in the country.. anyhow. there's co-op housing all over the country and those are 'intentional communities' or 'collective living' or however you want to call it.

oh and spaz, i hear the one in portland is on mississippi street and is so called the 'mississippi house'. never been there but i think i might try to find it this week.

i think it's the house black rose rents from.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
yeah, it's the mississippi house right next door. since that post i've been there a few times, coincidentally had a few friends live there.. but yes that's the spot!

A

ariel418

There used to be a Anarchist squat/household in Oakland, CA but I think it shut down. They used to have a pirate radio station in the basement too. I found out about it after doing the Berkeley Tree-sit. I was one of the first people arrested for that. I would like to find another Anarchist household in which to live. If anyone knows of a place I can go let me know. I can even contribute some money from my SSI check.

R

rideitlikeyoustoleit

There used to be a Anarchist squat/household in Oakland, CA but I think it shut down. They used to have a pirate radio station in the basement too. I found out about it after doing the Berkeley Tree-sit. I was one of the first people arrested for that. I would like to find another Anarchist household in which to live. If anyone knows of a place I can go let me know. I can even contribute some money from my SSI check.

I think you are talking about the Helarity House, which to my knowledge is still around.

A

ariel418

I just found this article:

Last laugh for Hilarity House

Outside, the garden was over-grown but welcoming and the fire pit in the back yard always hosted a small, festive crowd. Inside, the walls are covered in graffiti, lined with art, and crammed with obscure objects and overflowing bookshelves.

Hilarity, a Victorian house off MLK Blvd in Berkeley, was a home and community center for Bay Area non-conformists and counter-culture individuals. But on Feb. 15, the windows of the North Oakland communal house were boarded up as it faced the verdict of a civil law suit that might be the end of its wild, 18 year history.

In 2004, Oakland resident Pradjete Pal filed a civil suit when he bought the house at a foreclosure auction and found it inhabited-by a group who refused to leave.

A strong dedication to keeping the house free and in the hands of the community led the Hilarity Collective to file a rare and difficult Reverse Possession case. their hope is that this case will give the Collective legal ownership of the house on the grounds that they were openly and notoriously living there for a number of years while maintaining and fixing the property.

"We feel like this is a place worth fighting for and our intentions for it are good," said an eight-year Hilarity resident, Robert Eggplant. "Pradjete Pal is not serious about owning it, he bought it to sell, but this is a home."

While the Oakland Civil Court decides whether the Hilarity Collective is the rightful owner of the property, the house should be- according to the law-in legal possession limbo. This would allow the Collective to maintain residency, which hey did for three years. However, residents said court pressures eventually led to a break down within the Collective and residents have been slowly moving out since October.

Just five months ago Hilarity was thriving with some of the Bay's most colorful sub-culture and active community members. Resource center, library, radio station, squatter pad, musical jam space, art studio, bike shop and so much more; Hilarity's open door policy made the house a community center as well as a safe haven for travelers of all kinds.

"All types of people were welcome there," said Hannah Forsberg, a Mills College sophomore who used to go to punk shows at the house. "I met travelers from across the U.S., activists from Mexico, anarchists, artists, tons of musicians. I'm sad to see it get shut down."

Fennet Williams, an environmentalist, anti-capitalist commune member, purchased Hilarity in the early 1990s. His vision was to create what he called an "urban green space" where the residents would exchange community work like gardening and home improvement for rent. When Williams' vision turned to reality and the house filled with like-minded individuals, he left.

Yet Williams still remained the lawful owner, however, he neglected to pay taxes on the property and those who lived in the house were not aware of this. After a few years, Hilarity faced foreclosure because of unpaid taxes. Eggplant said he was an active participant in the household's Collective when the first foreclosure took place.

"By that point the house was a central part of the Berkeley community," said Eggplant. "So when the foreclosure happened and the house went up for auction, we organized and we rallied. The house went up for auction several times but we were able to hold it off."

Years went by and Hilarity stayed afloat- no rent, no taxes, open doors and plenty of creative free space. But it was a constant push-and-pull struggle to be a lawless community in a land of laws, so when the house went up for auction for the last time in 2004- despite impressive efforts to stop it-it was sold. Four years later, Hilarity is only just closing its doors.

As of Feb. 15, all the residents had left, but the remaining artifacts of one of the Bay Area's most unique sub-cultured haven still wait to be hauled away while the final verdict is decided in Oakland Civil Court.

"That is the nature of this house," said Eggplant. "Hilarity has come this far, I don't think its story is over yet."

I

IBRRHOBO

if the court hasn't rendered a decision ANYONE could file a motion called an "INTERVENER" and attach to the case. they could file it "IN FORMA PAUPERIS" and not pay any filing fees. that would give the person legal right to occupy pending either a) summary judgment on (if one was filed) the temporary injunction, and b) final verdict. in the event that the final judgment is unfavorable one could continue appealling through the CA state supreme, the U.S. District Court, the U.S. Appellate Court and ultimately petiion for a Writ of Certiorari w/the U.S. Supreme Court. long story short, u could occupy the dwelling for an EXTENDED period of time as u have a justicible cause of action and it would take an EXTENDED period of time to run its course thru the system.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
yeah, as of summer more people had moved back in and were working on things in the house a lot. and I think that reverse posession in the article should be adverse posession right? sounds like a mills student wrote that for the student paper or something..

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Hellarity is definitely doing the court thing, a friend of mine, Lostetta, is helping it along, and it sounds like it's doing well so far. Still needs a bit of work, but still better than anyone could have expected.

maus

Reaction score
"commune" = exactly what?

com⋅mune
/ˈkɒmyun/ [kom-yoon]
–noun
1. a small group of persons living together, sharing possessions, work, income, etc., and often pursuing unconventional lifestyles.
2. a close-knit community of people who share common interests.
(several irrelevant definitions)

Origin:
1785–95; < F < ML commūna (fem.), alter. of L commūne community, state, orig. neut. of commūnis common

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary

hkbenj

Reaction score
i've also heard of a place in Portland called the Pink House, know nothing about it though other then that my friends sister lives there...

the pink house is a great place. i ended up there one night over the summer and its home to some of the sweetest, most energetic and talented anarchist kids ive ever met. its pretty deep in southeast from what i can remember.

A

Anarchist Embassy

Greetings Comrades!:):crew:

I just wanted to inform all interested about your Embassy in Cape Breton/northern nova scotia. It is currently a house that provides shelter, skills, and potential self employment as artist so that anyone in need can survive capitalism with dignity in tact. We have the house, tools/supplies, and outlets to make things happen. Yeah there is mainly 2 people that run the embassy, but the community is the entire anarchist population of earth. Currently we are trying to achieve our main goal of obtaining land to defend ourselves better if the shit hits the fan in peak oil crises or 2012 or whatever armagadon might occur. In doing so, we are trying to sell the house. If the house does not sell then we will try to obtain land some how. We are always up for joining with other if anyone wants to try to create a robin hood camp in the forest, but with just two people it can get pretty lonely. We do have plenty of friends on the island with vast acreage, but none share the anarchist understanding and vision of total freedom. If anyone is interested in the island and squatting here, just ask. We have been here for three years only and have done extensive research on the issue. There are lots of abandon buildings in the urban area, but there is a recent bylaw passed that says the owners have to fix them or bulldoze them. There are tons of abandon acreages and old houses with trees growing through them. Anyway contact me if you need more info. Email anarchistembassy@mail2freedom.com

goodluck and long live the struggle as long as it need livin

sharks77

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
and I think that reverse posession in the article should be adverse posession right? sounds like a mills student wrote that for the student paper or something..

yeah, thats what i was thinking. hah

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads