After 18 years of housie life... Back on my bullshit | Squat the Planet

After 18 years of housie life... Back on my bullshit

FawnGone

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New to this site so here's a bit about me....
I started squatting at 15, traveling/hitching/hopping at 16. Traveled all over the country multiple times that way until I got pregnant at 20 and got off the road for my kid... Did a lot of domestic, responsible shit in the past 17 years and got two college degrees, traveled to other countries, blah blah blah... But I always, always, feel the call of the road haunting me, and now my son is old enough and asking me to show him things I know... So we are planning to wander off again together, probably heading down south via freight for a couple months in the spring. Roughly planning to go to FL from Rocky Mount NC and then over to NOLA and east Texas before making our way back north. Probably in March-April.
It's a good time for us to do it for several reasons. I'm not sure what I expect to learn, or face, or if it's a good idea or not right now. All I know is that the call is almost unbearably loud now, and as most of you can probably relate, it becomes impossible to ignore once it's there. You have to go. It's that time again. And I'd rather my kiddo learn from me at least a little bit before wandering off on his own. He was conceived on the road, somewhere between the Billings, MT yard and Sturgis.... His father died from drugs when he was 3, and it's been just us all these years. It's in his blood, and a part of our family. We are taking my husky mutt, Mishka, as well.

I'm joining this community mainly to establish newer connections, as most of my old crew are dead or settled, and to hopefully reconnect with some older folks I knew back then. I also could use updated tips on riding, as my old CCG was from 1999, and I mainly hopped around up on the high line between Wisconsin and Washington. I was based out of NC/Chapel Hill (called Jess or Little Jess, though I prefer Fawn now) I had a 3 legged hound dog named Ren way back in the day, but mostly travelled with my dog Kaiote, who looked like a little Shepherd/dingo mix. and have spent a lot of time in different places.
I'm an animal liberationist and would love to connect with other animal rights and environmental activists, as well as connect with other vegans on the road.
Anywhooo... That's about it!
Nice to meet y'all

Last edited:

FawnGone

Reaction score
I wish my mama was as badass as you! Its awesome your sharing this experience with your son.
Thanks so much :)
This past year has been really hard on him. He was hitchhiking alone without me knowing, and was attacked by someone. He was ok physically, but it sent him into a spiral of depression and suicide attempts. Everyone was telling me to keep him in school, put him on drugs, etc.. But none of that really felt right to me and I realized how trapped and obedient to the system I was becoming.
I woke up and shook all that off, pulled him out of school, and took him down to NC for a while last summer. He had so much fun with my old squatter family and everyone that I realized what he really needed was to gtfo of here and find his true people, his tribe. I think about how finding my crew back in the day saved my own life, and how the ones who are alive are still my best friends, and decided to take him on the road and teach him how to make his way as an honorable oogle.
Since we've been planning this for the past couple weeks, we've never been closer and he is so damn happy already.

Last edited:
  • Love It
Reactions: Crisy and croc

FawnGone

Reaction score
Me and my daughter and our husky are in Florida if you come through. Gainsville area. Hit me up on here if you would like to meet up sometime
Thanks so much, man! I've never been to Gainsville, though I hitched down to Key West when I was 17. I spent more time in southern FL. If we wind up in that area, I'll hit you up.

croc

Reaction score
Hey, love yalls story n I'm stoked for ur son to experience new shit n find his own way. Good on u for listening to his needs.

Just a heads up that u can't ride to nola from FL anymore. U can hmu for help navigating the more current lines in the SE if you'd like.

FawnGone

Reaction score
Hey, love yalls story n I'm stoked for ur son to experience new shit n find his own way. Good on u for listening to his needs.

Just a heads up that u can't ride to nola from FL anymore. U can hmu for help navigating the more current lines in the SE if you'd like.
Damn, thanks a lot, super helpful heads up. I'll def contact you for more info on that. :)

Reactions: croc

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I don't know if you'll be going anywhere near Austin, TX and need someone to show you around, but I should be around until the end of March, after that I'm driving to the west coast.

Reactions: FawnGone

FawnGone

Reaction score
I don't know if you'll be going anywhere near Austin, TX and need someone to show you around, but I should be around until the end of March, after that I'm driving to the west coast.
Thanks so much, was thinking of hitting Austin in April... but we have no time frame really, except to be in nola at the end of March for a friend's 40th birthday shindig. I've never been to Austin and would love to hang out with some folks there. Hopefully things shake out that we could meet up.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Crisy

Reaction score
Thanks so much :)
This past year has been really hard on him. He was hitchhiking alone without me knowing, and was attacked by someone. He was ok physically, but it sent him into a spiral of depression and suicide attempts. Everyone was telling me to keep him in school, put him on drugs, etc.. But none of that really felt right to me and I realized how trapped and obedient to the system I was becoming.
I woke up and shook all that off, pulled him out of school, and took him down to NC for a while last summer. He had so much fun with my old squatter family and everyone that I realized what he really needed was to gtfo of here and find his true people, his tribe. I think about how finding my crew back in the day saved my own life, and how the ones who are alive are still my best friends, and decided to take him on the road and teach him how to make his way as an honorable oogle.
Since we've been planning this for the past couple weeks, we've never been closer and he is so damn happy already.
Well if yall ever come through alabama after i get my house fixed, id love to let yall come crash. (its on family land so i cant offer that to many people) i was given a trailer thats been abandoned for 15+ years and im trying so hard to make it livable, so i can let people come through and crash and show them that this place dosnt suck so bad.

FawnGone

Reaction score
Well if yall ever come through alabama after i get my house fixed, id love to let yall come crash. (its on family land so i cant offer that to many people) i was given a trailer thats been abandoned for 15+ years and im trying so hard to make it livable, so i can let people come through and crash and show them that this place dosnt suck so bad.
That's really kind, thank you. We'll be down around there in March/April. What area of AL are you in? Some of the nicest and at the same time absolute craziest people have picked me up hitchhiking in AL, so I have a soft spot in my heart for the state. I've also lived in a busted old trailer in NC when the kid was a toddler, and I know the struggle. "Another fuse?! Fuck this!" lol. If you have any jobs that could use a few extra hands, we could help out for a day or two in exchange for shower/floor space if it happens to work that way.

Crisy

Reaction score
That's really kind, thank you. We'll be down around there in March/April. What area of AL are you in? Some of the nicest and at the same time absolute craziest people have picked me up hitchhiking in AL, so I have a soft spot in my heart for the state. I've also lived in a busted old trailer in NC when the kid was a toddler, and I know the struggle. "Another fuse?! Fuck this!" lol. If you have any jobs that could use a few extra hands, we could help out for a day or two in exchange for shower/floor space if it happens to work that way.
Its in blount county, its just north of birmingham. It may be a bit cold to swim then, but i know some really cool hiking spots and id totally not complain if yall would wanna help me with some of the work on my trailer, im extremely broke, so i could pay you in homemade pasta and good ole southern hospitality.

FawnGone

Reaction score
Its in blount county, its just north of birmingham. It may be a bit cold to swim then, but i know some really cool hiking spots and id totally not complain if yall would wanna help me with some of the work on my trailer, im extremely broke, so i could pay you in homemade pasta and good ole southern hospitality.
That actually sounds pretty rad, I'd love to explore some natural areas down that way and take a day or two to chill and help out for pasta. I will hit you up if I think we will be around that way.

• Agree
Reactions: Crisy

FawnGone

Reaction score
Hey welcome, I get it. I've been settled for a lil too long time. That ramblin part of our minds always seems to come back.

If you make your way down to San Antonio after hitting Austin, I'm happy to house ya and show you the best vegan taco spots.
Sweet, might do that! Thanks :)
Last time I was in san Antonio was a weird ass experience and we almost got arrested, but we had a lot of fun! Would be cool to check it out again.

Hudson

Reaction score
I've been settled down for the past three years, it feels like I've broke a cycle, but I feel the nomadic life calling to me. I love my life, my gitlfriend and the people around me. but theres nothing like having a new horizon everyday. I feel life is full of so much meaning, and definetly is not the grind.

I wish you guys the best of luck. This is a great site for making connections. When was the last time you were on freight? I havent been on one in over a decade and i am kinda scared in my older age.

FawnGone

Reaction score
I've been settled down for the past three years, it feels like I've broke a cycle, but I feel the nomadic life calling to me. I love my life, my gitlfriend and the people around me. but theres nothing like having a new horizon everyday. I feel life is full of so much meaning, and definetly is not the grind.

I wish you guys the best of luck. This is a great site for making connections. When was the last time you were on freight? I havent been on one in over a decade and i am kinda scared in my older age.
Thanks, man, yeah everyone here has been really awesome so far.
I haven't hopped on a freight in 18 years... When I found out I was pregnant all of that just... stopped suddenly. After his dad died I knew I couldn't even risk arrest or especially something worse, because I was all he had.
To be honest I'm nervous. I have done the highline, the low highline from Wenatchee to Billings, some junk in Wisconsin, I've done a few shorter rides on GM/junk in the southeast... I'm not inexperienced. But it's been a long damn time. I've been doing my research and actually learning quite a bit about railyard operations and CSX symbols and shit I had no clue about when I was young. So, that's cool. I'm most nervous about the cops separating us or fucking with me because he's not quite 18. I'm more scared of that than anything. But the kid says he understands the risks and he is willing to deal with any of the consequences. Hopefully, we will be smiled on by the train gods. Lol. I'm trying not to stress. We are going over to a local yard this week with some dead trains so I can show him different cars and he can practice lifting the dog up to me and such.

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Welcome Aboard FawnGone!!! You're in the right place!!!

Nice write up! Hope to meet you somewhere on the road in the future.

I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated!

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
So if he's close to 18 I would highly recommend other forms of travel until he's of age. The likelihood of you two being caught is pretty high and while you'd hope bulls would be caught off guard and be chill with a mom/son train crew, it could lead to you losing custody and him ending up in foster care/group home God knows where... I really don't see southern judges being super receptive to this scenario.

That being said, y'all wouldn't be the first.

Reactions: spectromaniac

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads