Advice/Support. Graduating High School and issues with family

CdCase123

Reaction score
I was thinking about going to a community college, as of right now Im considering being an ultra sound technition, nurse, or firefighter all pretty general ideas as of now.

there's your first problem. The means justify the ends. you got it backwards.
fuck the career. go to school for something that sustains your interest. if at all

freepizzaforlife

Reaction score
I dont have a job. In fact, I dont believe in the concept of money. I think the only productive thing people should be required to do is express their creativity and live peacefully among others. I never went to high school and do lots of drugs. And all I want to do is get high and skateboard. By societies standards I'm considered to be a bad and worthless person. Well you know what I fuckin hate you guys too and think you're worthless and shallow and pointless, with the exception of people that think for themselves. talk about depressing...

Poe Boy

Reaction score
Take it from someone who's been there, and seen others there:

DO NOT go to college if you don't know what you want OR think you're not ready for it, cuz guess what? if you think that, then you AREN'T ready for it. Don't know how many people I've seen graduate college to find out they don't want to do what they went to college for.

Also, DO NOT take out student loans. You'll end up out of school, making way less money than they promised you, and at least half of it going to pay for loans. Take grants, scholarships and work for the rest if school is what you want.

Another option is to find an apprenticeship program. With those a company hires you, you work full time, and go to school nights -- which the company also pays for. It's also easier to get a job as a journeyman tradesman than as a college grad. If you pick one of the construction trades, particularly plumbing or electrical and go to work for a company that does new commercial work, you often travel all over the country to where the job sites are. So you kind of get paid to wander a bit along with having a job, health insurance, etc.

Beyond The Sun

Reaction score
First off, I would say whatever you do, don't do it to spite other people. Mostly because if you do something just to prove someone else wrong, then you're not actually doing anything for yourself, you're still doing it for them. I think spite can be a wonderful thing--I'm an extremely spiteful person--but for the most part I try to focus all of that spitefulness towards myself, and do things that I normally wouldn't want to do/think I can't do.
Anyway, it may seem like your options (based on your family's wishes) are either college or a shitty life. But as you probably already know, and as people on here have pointed out, your options are limited only to what you allow.
I can't speak for you or your condition since I don't know a whole lot about either, but I can speak from my experiences, limited as they are. After high school I had no idea what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to travel, and that was pretty much it. But I applied to a school anyway, just to keep my options open, and was accepted. I ended up deferring for a year and doing a bit of traveling, working and figuring things out. By the time the year was up I had the option of either going to college or continuing what I was doing. At that point I felt like I was ready, so I went to school and actually found that I enjoyed the academic challenges I was presented with. Had I gone to college directly out of high school it would have most likely been a waste of my time and money. That year off I was able to rekindle a love for learning and exploring--something I hadn't felt since I was a kid. So college was an opportunity for me to continue learning and exploring but in a structured setting--not for everyone, and not always for me, but I do appreciate that I have a ton of resources that would otherwise be hard to utilize if I wasn't in school.
I dunno, for me college isn't about the money I'll be making after, or the 'security' I'll get from that money (because I doubt I'll be making too much money anyway). It's about learning and growing. But that's something that you can do if you're in college, working at McDonald's, or traveling. It's just something you have to want for yourself.
But if you're living your life for someone else--whether it's to please them or to spite them--then I don't know how happy you really can be.
As a side note: I've met a fair amount of people who either really want to go to school years and years after high school, or who are in the process of doing so right now. Based on what I've witnessed, it's much more difficult when you don't have a support network of family who is willing to help you out. It seems as though your family is pretty supportive (borderline militant) on you going to college. Ten years from now, you may decide that you really want a degree, but you could very well have to do it all on your own.

And that's the end of my rant. I figure that more than makes up for my lack of posting the past few months. Good luck to you in whatever you choose.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads