Advice for Showering & Staying Clean | Page 10 | Squat the Planet

Advice for Showering & Staying Clean

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
there are *so* many ways to keep clean..
admittedly a pain in the ass, often enough, but keeping the crevices degreased is not that hard, at all.

folks who don't stay nominally clean are litteraly *dangerous*..

i mean, when people's hands are fucking obviously unwashed for over a week, it becomes fucking difficult to even share food with them.

also, when folks have poor hand hygiene, you can damn well bet they don't take care of their teeth..
it makes more work for the asshole offering help because it's impossible to share utensils, much less bottles or cups.. i've had episodes where i've had to spray my fucking van down with disinfect & bug spray..

i mean, truly.. if people's hands are reasonably clean, it's a good reference point..
they can do what they want, & that's cool, but it's utterly fucking unfair to make others risk communicables in order to transport or feed their fucking asses..
folks on the road get stinky.. that's a given, & nothing to get too uptight about..
but wash yer mouth out & wash yer hands, & if you get a chance, use some soap & paper towels on your asscrack, too..

it isn't even about courtesy, when you get right down to it.. it's a fucking survival skill..

now admittedly, this is mostly a bitch, & most people on here a enough common sense to deal with the circumstances of being on the road..

there are also a ton of great ideas for staying hygienically sound, on here..

i've bitch it before, though..

BEING FUCKING PHYSICALLY FILTHY IS ****NOT**** A VALID POLITICAL OR PHILOSOPHICAL PRACTICE WHEN YOU ARE ASKING OTHERS IN GENERAL TO BE ACTIVE WITH YOU.

it just fucking isn't.

it's brainshit.

now.. if you belong to a community that doesn't wash, fine..
or if you shit yourself in a cop car or some such, maybe that is even admirable..

the only reason i could think it would be considered rational by anyone not actually under the duress of trauma, though, is that they think "shit.. if people see i'm so fucked up, they'll feel more sorry for me & give me *more* fucking money when i beg.."

Last edited:

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
BTW.. a good soap to use is dog/cat flea soap or shampoo..
it not only kills/reduces the minor insects, it can make you less appealing to them to start with..

grrrarrwwff!!

Reactions: Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dog shampoo sounds ideal.
Been feeling like a mangy cur myself lately lol!

Smelly belly.

Woof! Woof!

K

Kim Chee

...if people see i'm so fucked up, they'll feel more sorry for me & give me *more* fucking money when i beg.."

I think my cardboard flying income sucked because I and my clothes were almost always clean.

I was unsuccessful at evoking feelings of sympathy for the most part.

On topic:
Momma would tell y'all to clean behind your ears, I'm here to tell you to wash your taint or chode, whichever you may have;)

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ah, take caution with bathing in the ocean. If your skin is sensitive, you may get itchy from the salt residue.

LOL!!! HeyitsPNUT, dont forget also that many municipalities have ''dont dump toxic chemicals-this sewer drains to the ocean'' signs on sewer grates. which means if you bathe on the wrong part of the beach theres raw sewage getting dumped nearby.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Ah, take caution with bathing in the ocean. If your skin is sensitive, you may get itchy from the salt residue.
thats why you use the showers at the beach after you go swimming. Actually really good way to clean up. Salt is a natural solvent/deodorant. Im not much for artificial scents in most hygene products nowaydays but i do like being clean

Cantchangeme

Reaction score
Seriously..wash your ass if you stink...unless you just cant theres no excuse for being a dirty bitch...have some fuckin self respect...even animals wash their asses...

Renegade

Reaction score
well for anyone interested they sell 5 gallon portable camp showers that fold up in your pack.. i use to own one and they are pretty sick..here is a picture..

Attachments

• IMG_2238.PNG
    IMG_2238.PNG
    241.5 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
^ yep that's my primary shower on the road. LOVE that thing. Boil some water and mix it for just the right temp.

Reactions: Renegade

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
well for anyone interested they sell 5 gallon portable camp showers that fold up in your pack.. i use to own one and they are pretty sick..here is a picture..

Sorry I rated that "off topic". My phone must have glitched.

Those things are neat! Had one when I was rubbertramping in the old station wagon :)

Renegade

Reaction score
Sorry I rated that "off topic". My phone must have glitched.

Those things are neat! Had one when I was rubbertramping in the old station wagon :)

We are cool :eek: dude they sell advanced ones with curtains so i can hang that shit up in GG park and no one has to see my white ass..

todd

Reaction score
Here are 14 things you can actually do with Dr. Bronner's soaps:
1. Body Wash: This soap is awesome as body wash, and will last forever. Squirt a small amount on a wash cloth or loofah, and it will lather up extremely well.

2. Face Wash: These products are 100% organic, made with vegetable oils and coconut oil to help it lather, so they're good for your skin. Put two to three drops on wet hands, and wash your face as normal.

3. Shampoo: The Dr. Bronner's brand now makes shampoo specifically for your hair, but a lot of people still like to use the soap. Put roughly half a tablespoon in your hand and work it into damp hair. You'll most likely need to use a conditioner afterwards to detangle your hair.

4. Bath Soap: Dr. Bronner's does lather a lot, but not so much in a tub of water (unless extremely agitated with water jets) — it will be more like a bath oil. Depending on water amount, put roughly two tablespoons of the soap into the running water.

5. Baby Wash: The mild version of this soap is especially good for infants. Because it's not made with any chemicals and only contains organic ingredients, it will be especially gentle on babies' skin.

6. Shaving Cream: There's no excuse to buy expensive shaving cream. Just work this soap into a lather, shave, and rinse when done. You'll need approximately 10 drops for your face, three drops for under arms, and a teaspoon for legs.

7. Clearing Congestion: When you're not feeling well, put one tablespoon of Dr. Bronner's into a bowl of steaming hot water. Drape a towel over you head, and breathe in the mist until your congestion clears. This is particularly good with the Peppermint-scented soap.

8. Cleaning Dishes: Dr. Bronner's recommends diluting the soap 1:10 with water, and then squirting the diluted mix onto a scrub brush. This only works when hand washing dishes, and not in a dishwasher.

9. Laundry: Use 1/3 – 1/2 cup of soap for a large load in a normal washer. Most people also recommend combining with a cup of baking soda or Borax (a type of powder used in a variety of household laundry and cleaning products) and diluting with water.

10. Cleaning Your House:

a. Mopping: Pour 1/2 cups of soap in 3 gallons of hot water.

b. Windows: Add a tablespoon of soap into a quart of water in a spray bottle. Follow up with pure club soda or half vinegar/half water to prevent streaking.

c. All-Purpose Cleaner: Pour 1/4 cup of Dr. Bronner's soap into a quart of water in a spray bottle.

11. Fruit/Vegetable Rinse: Put a dash of the soap into a bowl of water and drunk your produce and scrub with hands to get off any dirt. Rinse in cold water.

12. Dog Washing: The amount of soap you use will vary widely depending on the size, hair type/length, and overall dirtiness of your dog. Wet your dog thoroughly, then start to work the soap up and down his body until there's a good lather. Rinse.

13. Plant Spray For Bugs: To keep bugs from gnawing on your plants, add one tablespoon of soap into a quart of water and spray onto plants. You can also add some cayenne pepper or cinnamon into the mix.

14. Ant Spray: Though less common, some followers of Dr. Bronner's say the soap is good for fighting ants. Put 1/4 cup of the Tea Tree soap into a quart of water and spray infected areas. (Note: This concentration will burn plants.)

And 4 things you should NOT do with Dr. Bronner's:
1. Douche: Older labels of Dr. Bronner's included a suggestion for ladies to douche with the soap. Bronner believed using the soap as a post-coital douche would restore the body’s natural pH. Doctors for years have debunked this myth, and it has since been removed from the labels.

2. Use As Deodorant: Sure you could wipe the oil on your underarms, but it won't do anything to keep you from sweating and smelling, plus you'll feel sticky all day.

3. Use As Toothpaste: You can do this (just put a drop on your toothbrush), and some people do. However, not only will it foam a lot, but it does not taste like peppermint or citrus or almond — it tastes like soap.

4. Use As Mouth Wash: Again, this is soap. It tastes like soap. If you don't want soap in your mouth, do not use this as mouthwash.

pewpew

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score

I had one of these, I've been trying to stay lighter than what I used to be so tossed it out. They do work pretty well when you have the time to let it sit in the sun a bit. I'd probably get one again if I ever decide to set up a semi perm camp.

I'm good with my wet wipes tho, just to keep the face and sweet spots clean and then motel showers about 2 or 3 times a month is sufficient enough for me, or river if I'm lucky enough and when the weather is nice.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads