Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I think people are getting too loose of a definition of trolling. It used to be reserved for very specific, very annoying behavior, and now when someone says something you don't like in a way you don't like, they're trolling?
I may or may not agree with anyone in this thread, including the original poster, but I don't see any trolls, just people who aren't willing to see the point and discuss it like rational people.
I'm sorry if this offends anyone; that's not my intent. But I do feel the need to say these things, because they're my thoughts and free expression is important.

I agree that this thread shouldnt be considered trolling. Dissenting opinions are really important and should be important to this site. Im just under the opinion that liz79's arguments are a bit illogical.

Thanks for the amazingly entertaining thread though, it totally made my day :)

venusinpisces

Reaction score
you think that the "Gov't watched information mining technology" (definitely need a shorthand term for that) doesn't work on these forums? If you don't want them to know shit about you, you shouldn't put any information ANYwhere online. An experienced "information miner" can dig up anything you ever did, said or were interested in if it's on the web. I'm sure that all of us are in a database right now because we've been on sites like this...

The difference between Facebook and other random sites on the net is that Facebook uses highly sophisticated tracking technology such as facial recognition software that can "tag" people even without them being named, meaning that the level of surveillance there is absolutely unprecedented when compared to anywhere else. Not only that, but the values on the site exemplify the worst forms of status-seeking such as name dropping colleges, brand names and employers. The site was originally intended for Ivy league schools and the inherent structure of it prevents any social networking that goes on there from transcending that kind of meritocracy, which is very much contrary to the anarchist values STP is supposedly based around. It's funny how people were so adamant about how wrong it is for filmmakers to come on STP and start bothering people yet publicizing squatter culture on FB is A ok? Having a facebook page to communicate with family is really a very different thing than using it to dumb down a culture that probably doesn't need to be in popular media in the first place. Whether the OP expressed herself in the best way or not, I agree with her that the quality of this site has gone down, not only because of the FB link but also because many of the moderators are on childish power trips and use that to censor people.

Reactions: liz79

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The difference between Facebook and other random sites on the net is that Facebook uses highly sophisticated tracking technology such as facial recognition software that can "tag" people even without them being named, meaning that the level of surveillance there is absolutely unprecedented when compared to anywhere else. Not only that, but the values on the site exemplify the worst forms of status-seeking such as name dropping colleges, brand names and employers. The site was originally intended for Ivy league schools and the inherent structure of it prevents any social networking that goes on there from transcending that kind of meritocracy, which is very much contrary to the anarchist values STP is supposedly based around. It's funny how people were so adamant about how wrong it is for filmmakers to come on STP and start bothering people yet publicizing squatter culture on FB is A ok? Having a facebook page to communicate with family is really a very different thing than using it to dumb down a culture that probably doesn't need to be in popular media in the first place. Whether the OP expressed herself in the best way or not, I agree with her that this site sucks now, not only because of the FB link but also because many of the moderators are on childish power trips and use that to censor people.

Then why are you here? All you ever do is bitch. Go traveling or something. I love how all the haters just keep coming back to a place they cant stand :)

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
The difference between Facebook and other random sites on the net is that Facebook uses highly sophisticated tracking technology such as facial recognition software that can "tag" people even without them being named, meaning that the level of surveillance there is absolutely unprecedented when compared to anywhere else. Not only that, but the values on the site exemplify the worst forms of status-seeking such as name dropping colleges, brand names and employers.

You just went full retard.....

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Then why are you here? All you ever do is bitch. Go traveling or something. I love how all the haters just keep coming back to a place they cant stand :)
I haven't frequented this site at all since the changes took place, and neither have many of the regulars who seem to have vanished. As for me "bitching" about STP, four or five posts out of several hundred is hardly enough to say that's all I do. But it should be amusing to watch this site get overtaken by Hot Topic kids from the suburbs, at any rate. :D

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Well just for reference we've gained 800 members since the change, and there hasnt been nearly the amount of elitism and arrogance since :p

hutchie

Reaction score
ok so i said i was done with this thread, but ...
But it should be amusing to watch this site get overtaken by Hot Topic kids from the suburbs, at any rate.
sorry this isn't the "crusty fuck, million mile trainrider club" you want it to be. buy a domain and ill host one for you, ive got unlimited hosting. there has to be some level of censorship though or chomos will shit all over like they do /b.

K

katbastard

I haven't frequented this site at all since the changes took place, and neither have many of the regulars who seem to have vanished. As for me "bitching" about STP, four or five posts out of several hundred is hardly enough to say that's all I do. But it should be amusing to watch this site get overtaken by Hot Topic kids from the suburbs, at any rate. :D
takes one to know one? have fun going to what ever sites you like to go one, but the bitchin has been stopping until i saw your vice magazine quoting self come back.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
ok so i said i was done with this thread, but ...

sorry this isn't the "crusty fuck, million mile trainrider club" you want it to be. .
You may have misinterpreted if you thought that my comment was somehow a criticism of Hot Topic kids, which it wasn't since everyone has been sucked into shitty mainstream "countercultures" in one way or another. It had more to do with criticizing the commercialization of squatting which will only lose relevance by being turned into a Facebook fashion statement. My point seems to be proven by the way that people are pretty much unable/unwilling to respond rationally without getting caught up in overly defensive, passive aggressive personal attacks that have no relevance to the actual subject matter. When posts veer towards "that's retarted" and there are more threads on 4 loko than productive conversation, this indicates that something is a bit off.

blackswan

Reaction score
there has to be some level of censorship though or chomos will shit all over like they do /b.

O rly, what do you; Sir Hutchie wanta see censored? Please, don`t tell us that it`s the simple fact facebook is the stupidest thing that has ever existed? Or, is it the simple fact that only unknowing brainwashed people are using it and think it`s God? Unfortunately for some;
both of which we will freely discuss right here in this here thread, face book wouldnt be an issue, except there's a whole floor at the facebooks bat cave dedicated to facial recognition software and info mining, facebook is destroying the social fabric of humanity, I know where this is going.
Facebook was invented so someone or some group could use facial recognition software and info mining on it`s users and ultimately on guess who.. " don`t think that kinda active is going on here", if you do, use a proxy or get an antenna. I`m sorry if your not understanding or if your obsession with tweeting has clouded your reasoning to the point you see this as a Troll thread you'd see on some image-board.

40035662.jpg

hutchie

Reaction score
proxies cache and log ips, combined with a cctv near where you piggyback, thats gonna pinpoint you to an illegal access charge with your "antenna". you could have at least said TOR if you wanted to look cool. there is no total anonymity online. i dont tweet or give a fuck about facebook. im really sure that the fucking feds are going to stake your ass out hardcore for a possible trespass infraction. really you could just solve it all by not admitting to crimes on the internet. but that wouldn't sound as cool huh?

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
Ok ok,
I don't want to contribute to this weird gathering of hottopic kids, but heres this:
If you are really worried about security, you probably shouldn't be on this site either. Facebook is obviously not secure on purpose, but I suspect that some of you on here talking about security are thinking that not puting a face picture on the internet is enough to cover your ass.

hutchie

Reaction score
Ok ok,
I don't want to contribute to this weird gathering of hottopic kids, but heres this:
If you are really worried about security, you probably shouldn't be on this site either. Facebook is obviously not secure on purpose, but I suspect that some of you on here talking about security are thinking that not puting a face picture on the internet is enough to cover your ass.
if you are worried about security use your computer in a lead room with no fucking wires leading from it. the internet is insecure in its totality. everything you say or do is archived. cameras can watch your screen, the sound of keystrokes can be converted to plaintext, van eck phreaking can tell wtf you are sending from your keyboard to the computer, hardware can be backdoored... the list goes on and on. get fucking real, people are talking about hitchhiking, catching trains and sleeping in derelict buildings. people are sitting around in a fucking DHS facility right now jabbing each other laughing at a bunch of people who are worried about facebook.

Reactions: Margarita
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads