Your site has gone to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackswan

Reaction score
Well most of us just use this site and the internet in whole as a tool for meeting new people and creating alliances with people,

as far as facebook, and twitter and myspace go they are great for keeping in contact with people and networking with everyone. It is a little lame that some poeple have been so disattatched with social interaction that they have to use an external source.

nnaw cat, facebook, twitter, myspace? that shits whack. Government watched information mining technology.
Re think on your garbage post up there bro, keep your friends phone numbers or Email and meet people in the flesh,
It is a little lame that some people have been so disattatched they think facebook twitter and myspace will improve their social interaction, in really social networking sites dismantle real social interaction,
hold the phone,I have proof, peep this thread, bet all y'all be down in the flesh, on here ,bickering over nothing.

Reactions: Gudj

blackswan

Reaction score
I'm not scared of anyone finding out my information and if they do we can just delete it again.

I`m not scared ether, but why subject yourself to Government watched information mining technology`s.
plus if someone does obtain your info, deleting the info does nothing, they already have the info they wanted, also you don`t know what kinda info they want or why they want it, I smell a rat Yo,I stick to phones, email, time and fate.

Margarita

Sunset Follower
Reaction score
I think it is important for people to continually question whether they are living according to their stated values. When people come along and make threads like this, it serves as a reminder to check where you stand. It could have been done a little less aggressively, which explains the various responses, accusations of trolling, etc. But ultimately I think that threads such as this serve a vital function in the community.

Yeah, for some people, using social networking sites is "selling out." I personally like to keep in touch with people and let them know I haven't disappeared off the face of the Earth. If I feel like connecting, Facebook makes it very easy for me to do so. And if I'm not in the mood for the way it makes me feel, I don't sign on, because it is a connection to the mass media, to a mainstream culture I prefer not to participate in. So there is a difference between the way I use it and the way my friends from high school and college use it. I'm not particularly attached to it. It's a convenience that I can easily do without, but because I don't have to, I don't. Trying to contact people by email is getting more difficult because they all use social networking sites. Phone numbers change without warning, unless you count them telling people via Facebook.

With friends I make on the road, though, I much prefer phone/email contact if I can't have face-time. It feels weird to use Facebook to associate with someone who shares my distaste for mainstream culture. I tend to reserve it only for the people who don't share my feelings on the matter... family and friends from an offroad past that I've chosen to leave behind.

But those are my feelings, based on my values. Others will have different values and act accordingly, and if they aren't doing me any harm, I could care less.

blackswan

Reaction score
I think it is important for people to continually question whether they are living according to their stated values. When people come along and make threads like this, it serves as a reminder to check where you stand. It could have been done a little less aggressively, which explains the various responses, accusations of trolling, etc. But ultimately I think that threads such as this serve a vital function in the community.

Yeah, for some people, using social networking sites is "selling out." I personally like to keep in touch with people and let them know I haven't disappeared off the face of the Earth. If I feel like connecting, Facebook makes it very easy for me to do so. And if I'm not in the mood for the way it makes me feel, I don't sign on, because it is a connection to the mass media, to a mainstream culture I prefer not to participate in. So there is a difference between the way I use it and the way my friends from high school and college use it. I'm not particularly attached to it. It's a convenience that I can easily do without, but because I don't have to, I don't. Trying to contact people by email is getting more difficult because they all use social networking sites. Phone numbers change without warning, unless you count them telling people via Facebook.

With friends I make on the road, though, I much prefer phone/email contact if I can't have face-time. It feels weird to use Facebook to associate with someone who shares my distaste for mainstream culture. I tend to reserve it only for the people who don't share my feelings on the matter... family and friends from an offroad past that I've chosen to leave behind.

But those are my feelings, based on my values. Others will have different values and act accordingly, and if they aren't doing me any harm, I could care less.

right right, still, cut thought the bullshit, face book sold out, knowing people that cling to it are kinda in the same boat.
Please explain ,what about Government watched information mining technology is attractive to you?
we all know it`s true,
most likely you like nothing about Government watched information mining technology, abandon anything Face book, I could chew apart any and every justification concerning fake book. most conscious minds also see the picture panted before you.

Margarita

Sunset Follower
Reaction score
most likely you like nothing about Government watched information mining technology, abandon anything Face book, I could chew apart any and every justification concerning fake book.

Well seeing as my views on the matter, while I feel strongly about them, have developed only the past couple of years, I figure the government knows pretty much everything about me and my childhood by this point.
Besides, you think that the "Gov't watched information mining technology" (definitely need a shorthand term for that) doesn't work on these forums? If you don't want them to know shit about you, you shouldn't put any information ANYwhere online. An experienced "information miner" can dig up anything you ever did, said or were interested in if it's on the web. Facebook is just the first place they'll go. If you want to be truly anonymous and disconnected, you should only use the internet from walk-up public computers (and even then they'll know where you are) or get fancy-hacker-like and figure out a way to disguise your computer as a different one. Even then they have specialized people whose living it is to track you down if the Gov't wants you found badly enough, so good luck fooling their technological prowess. And while you're at it, start switching out your pre-paid cell phone so they can't track your conversations. You have to go to extraordinarily lengths to be anonymous in this day and age. Not using Facebook is a first step, but unless you're willing to go all the way, it's kind of useless. I'm sure that all of us are in a database right now because we've been on sites like this... posting about anarchistic shit... if any of us were to blow up a building or get framed for such a terrorist act, the first thing in the press release would be our affiliation with anti-State websites and criminals. You can't fool them. If you're involved in revolutionary activity anywhere, you've got a red flag by your name and if you get problematic enough, they'll shut you the fuck down like Che.

So far I've managed to avoid getting fingerprinted... who knows how long that will last. That's really my last shred of anonymity at this point, and I've accepted that. I might have more, later in life, when it's more important. But I know that if I'm going to go back and finish college, there's no point in deleting my Facebook. What is that going to do? Throw off the gov't trackers? Please.

oki

Reaction score
i cant get a new passport without beeing fingerprinted... some people did a court case against the gouv. here, but they lost. europe is closing in on us.

for the rest, i dont really give a crap if they know everything about me. its just a challenge, the more they tune in on citizens, the more ways the internet finds to create smokeclouds. i dont think the solution is to just abandon it all, its smarter to get into it and find the loopholes. we cant let them take over, fight back!

oh and about this place, its great. i havent squatted in 20 years myself, so maybe i dont belong here... but i apreciate free spirits and sofar its just rather interesting to see how, mostly, american squatters do things. itsv a world of difference with european squatting scenes. overhere its all very organised and youre not so much isolated and on your own as you guys seem to be. i guess your lives are much tougher, i understand you need resources like this board.

Margarita

Sunset Follower
Reaction score
over here its all very organised and youre not so much isolated and on your own as you guys seem to be.

I'm looking forward to travelling to Europe... I would like to see such things for myself. Until then, I can't begin to fathom why American squatters are so different. Maybe it comes down to cultural history? The American zeitgeist certainly differs from that of European countries.

P

pigpen

Do they teach that on the GED test yet?

so just because one dropped out of high school, they must be an uneducated dingus, incapable of forming a well regimented, coherent argument?

i'm not saying i agree with with liz, but the sentiment underlining your statement was pretty fucked up and kinda ignorant.

-some dude who dropped outta high school and got his GED.

Hippy Panda

Reaction score
the ged test is actuly harder then highschool i graduated highschool and checked out my best friends "pre Test" thing for his ged and i probly wouldnt have passed. lol so fail!

xbocax

Reaction score
yah the sites kinda a bust
at best has a good starter points for traveling
a slightly less then ok place to meet like minded individuals
i met more cool people on the road in a week then here for a year
but they do spring up i guess
oh yah and its cool when you want to prove how much better your opinion is then everyone elses

slurricane

Reaction score
zP10f.gif

oki

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to travelling to Europe... I would like to see such things for myself. Until then, I can't begin to fathom why American squatters are so different. Maybe it comes down to cultural history? The American zeitgeist certainly differs from that of European countries.
european squat scenes can be very political, in the past it became a way for anarchist/autonome people to do their own thing. a lot of the bigger squats are very organised, have vegan restaurants bars, activities, giveawaystores, etc etc. its nice, not hard to find a quat in a big city and become part of that scene, and get some help.
ofcourse europe also has the more individual hobo scene, which is probably more like the US, life can be very hard then.
for example in holland, if you used to squat a building that had been empty for a year, you could legally stay and get electricity and gas, and youd have a completely functioning place. i guess thats a huge diference with the US.
anyway, its also changing in europe. squatting is beeing banned and less tolerated more and more...

Reactions: bicycle

hutchie

Reaction score
ya know, when a troll thread is the hottest one running on the forum maybe she is right ... hell, i move to sticky it. also, DONT FEED THE FUCKING TROLLS

Reactions: CXR1037

Margarita

Sunset Follower
Reaction score
DONT FEED THE FUCKING TROLLS
I think people are getting too loose of a definition of trolling. It used to be reserved for very specific, very annoying behavior, and now when someone says something you don't like in a way you don't like, they're trolling?
I may or may not agree with anyone in this thread, including the original poster, but I don't see any trolls, just people who aren't willing to see the point and discuss it like rational people.
I'm sorry if this offends anyone; that's not my intent. But I do feel the need to say these things, because they're my thoughts and free expression is important.

hutchie

Reaction score
trolling (in my experience) is saying something outlandish just to get a rise out of people for a laugh, and as always someone falls for it. anyways, im not offended by anyones opinion. i just tend to disagree with you.. i really don't want anything else do with this thread. i was actually gonna pm you about something earlier. maybe you can persuade me to your way of thinking sometime :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads